Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1430614082.681784.jpg

Here is a V2 Baggage On The Cardinal. I have been seeing old Baggages going on the H.S. Toward Beech Grove.
Looks like that, even with the new baggage cars, Amtrak personnel are still stead-fast in their inability to close the darn doors.
Too bad the doors on the new cars were designed by dummies.

Sleepers and Diners are still a long ways away. I think it's one page back Jis posted that he had talked to someone that thinks Amtrak doesn't even know when they'll be getting more Baggage cars! :eek:
Wow! Did Amtrak Have any say in the first car out of the factory? Because I would think they would want to start with the heritage fleet, and who knows, maybe get real diners on the cardnial!
I think they wanted Baggage Cars first. I also believe that was in the contract. Not sure though.

Sleepers and Diners are still a long ways away. I think it's one page back Jis posted that he had talked to someone that thinks Amtrak doesn't even know when they'll be getting more Baggage cars! :eek:
Wow! Did Amtrak Have any say in the first car out of the factory? Because I would think they would want to start with the heritage fleet, and who knows, maybe get real diners on the cardnial!
Yes they did say, and they wanted baggage cars and got them. And baggage cars are of course part of the heritage fleet.

We were held at Penn station for over and hour for a police investigation bout three miles out from Penn station by the Hudson River. Saw a body in a body bag just about to be picked up by the police forensic van. Couldn't tell if it had been involved with a train or not?? So don't blame Amtrak for this delay till you know the facts!!! :angry: Does anybody have any idea what happened?

By the way we thought the "VL 8400 "Indianapolis" was great! The crew was great/Food (steak) was first rate/service was excellent! Can't wait for the new diners!

Will try and have story of our trip soon! :)

Wow! Did Amtrak Have any say in the first car out of the factory? Because I would think they would want to start with the heritage fleet, and who knows, maybe get real diners on the cardinal.
Yes they did say, and they wanted baggage cars and got them. And baggage cars are of course part of the heritage fleet.
Baggage cars were to come first from the first.

The heritage bag cars include the oldest cars in the fleet. So getting them out of the fleet first, and reducing maintenance costs and hassles in general makes sense.

The new baggage cars are the simplest model. Compare to the plumbing on the sleepers, and the kitchens and plumbing on the diners. Starting out with the simplest model is a no-brainer. The wisdom of this approach has been shown by the early appearance of problems (which we hope can be fully remedied) with the bag cars.

Not sure if the 10 bag dorms come next, or the diners. Remember the factory has two lines, so both bag-dorms and diners could be assembled simultaneously. Anyway, the diners will come soon enuff, and that's urgent because of their high maintenance costs and other inefficiencies.

So the first and bulk of the order is to get rid of the high costs of the unreliable heritage equipment. The last part, the 25 new sleepers (barring an option order), will add capacity and raise revenue. Sweet as that will be, it is not the top priority.

Wow! Did Amtrak Have any say in the first car out of the factory? Because I would think they would want to start with the heritage fleet, and who knows, maybe get real diners on the cardinal.
Baggage cars were to come first from the first.
The heritage bag cars include the oldest cars in the fleet. So getting them out of the fleet first, and reducing maintenance costs and hassles in general makes sense.

The new baggage cars are the simplest model. Compare to the plumbing on the sleepers, and the kitchens and plumbing on the diners. Starting out with the simplest model is a no-brainer. The wisdom of this approach has been shown by the early appearance of problems (which we hope can be fully remedied) with the bag cars.

Not sure if the 10 bag dorms come next, or the diners. Remember the factory has two lines, so both bag-dorms and diners could be assembled simultaneously. Anyway, the diners will come soon enuff, and that's urgent because of their high maintenance costs and other inefficiencies.

So the first and bulk of the order is to get rid of the high costs of the unreliable heritage equipment. The last part, the 25 new sleepers (barring an option order), will add capacity and raise revenue. Sweet as that will be, it is not the top priority.
Ok, Thank You.They are just using Amfleet cafes as diners on 50-51, correct?

Whenever I've had a chance to peek into an open baggage car on the Coast Starlight, California Zephyr or the Southwest Chief they are pretty much empty. My guess is that is due to the lack of stations with baggage service, but that is just hearsay and ignorant snooping on my part. I have no hard numbers. A baggage/dorm could possibly handle things on these routes

A bag-dorm could make sense on the Cardinal, one of the sections of the LSL, and potentially on 66/67, if sleeper service returns.

I should know this as I ride 48-49 a LOT but where does the crew sleep now? I know sleeper attendants have a roomette but do the others just sit in the snack car?

Ok, Thank You.

They are just using Amfleet cafes as diners on 50-51, correct?
Thos cars are Amfleet II Diner-Lites, which are different from the Amfleet I Cafe Cars.
Ok, Thank YouWhat routes do you think Bag Dorms Be Used on

(Are there some more routes than others that have more reason than others for a bag dorm?)
Every LD train will have either a bag car or a bag dorm, of course. It's been speculated here that some medium distance trains like the Adirondack could gain a bag car or bag dorm.

I've seen it posted (iirc, wish I could find it now :( ) that the ideal ratio of sleepers to diners maxes out to 3 ½ sleepers on each single-level train, and 4 or 4 ½ on each bi-level train (maybe I got that backwards? :( . More sleepers than that ratio and the diners can't handle all the customers; fewer sleepers per diner leaves unused dining capacity.

Of course, where there's no bag dorm, half a sleeper is out of revenue service,

Amtrak will need to figure out where paying customers can usually fill 2 ½ sleepers, or 3, or 3 ½, and then add the bag dorm "half-sleeper" as needed.

Again hoping they can find a way to buy a handful more cars out of the option order, to allow maximum flexibility in using the diners, sleepers, and bag dorms.

There is zero chance of any day train getting a bag-dorm, no matter how much people want to speculate away.
How about a heritage baggage car with two or three levels of hammocks at one end? Amtrak Steerage Class for the more "economy minded traveler"? They could even be pressed into service to help unload baggage at the larger station stops...

Ok, Thank You.

They are just using Amfleet cafes as diners on 50-51, correct?
Thos cars are Amfleet II Diner-Lites, which are different from the Amfleet I Cafe Cars.
Ok, Thank YouWhat routes do you think Bag Dorms Be Used on

(Are there some more routes than others that have more reason than others for a bag dorm?)
Every LD train will have either a bag car or a bag dorm, of course. It's been speculated here that some medium distance trains like the Adirondack could gain a bag car or bag dorm.

I've seen it posted (iirc, wish I could find it now :( ) that the ideal ratio of sleepers to diners maxes out to 3 ½ sleepers on each single-level train, and 4 or 4 ½ on each bi-level train (maybe I got that backwards? :( . More sleepers than that ratio and the diners can't handle all the customers; fewer sleepers per diner leaves unused dining capacity.

Of course, where there's no bag dorm, half a sleeper is out of revenue service,

Amtrak will need to figure out where paying customers can usually fill 2 ½ sleepers, or 3, or 3 ½, and then add the bag dorm "half-sleeper" as needed.

Again hoping they can find a way to buy a handful more cars out of the option order, to allow maximum flexibility in using the diners, sleepers, and bag dorms.
Trying to peg an ideal ratio is tricky, but assuming three seatings, with a 48-seat single-level diner you have 144 seats/meal and with a 72-seat bilevel diner you have 216 seats/meal. The theoretical capacity of a Viewliner I sleeper is 30 and the effective capacity probably somewhere in the mid-20s (I'd say around 24); for a standard Superliner the theoretical capacity is 44 and the effective capacity probably in the mid-30s (I'm guessing about 36).

In theory this computes to about 6 sleepers/diner, but especially with the bilevels you tend to lose a few tables for supply storage more often than you do on a single-level diner. You also need to account for a (substantial) amount of coach traffic in the diner...honestly, assume 40% of traffic will be from coach much of the time (this is what you tend to see on the LSL and the SWC per Amtrak's PIPs). That probably caps you off at about 4-5 sleepers for a single-level diner if you more or less lock out coach, and somewhere in the 3-4 range for a Superliner diner. Note that this lines up roughly with Amtrak's reported capacity issues on the Builder's diner with three sleepers plus a transdorm.

Edit: As to the bag-dorm question, while it is highly unlikely one will get used for a day train on a regular basis you'll probably get one allocated oddly every-so-often when the Bad Order Fairy sprinkles dust in the train yard and you get the "wrong" equipment on a train as a result.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a Viewliner II baggage car in the Chicago yard last weekend. Sharp looking piece of equipment. When are we getting the Viewliner II sleepers??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back