Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This car order and it's bid option, do not have lounge cars in it. Amtraks fleet plan calls for more single level cars to replace the high mileage Amfleet-2 leg rest coaches. Replacement lounges and other cars might also be a part of the car order. The Superliner-1 cars are also in need of replacement.

Hi, I was thinking about the next car orders. Would a replacement for the lounge cars have the same or a similar window arrangement as the Viewliner 2 dining cars?
I'm not aware of any replacement lounge cars.
Supposedly the Amfleet II cars - coaches and lounge cars - are next up for replacement, but no order or even RFP yet exists. It could be a Viewliner, or it could be a different design.

Without digging terribly deeply into the process, any forth coming order for single level cars (sleeper excepted) is likely to incorporate a standard shell, larger windows, package units for A/C at each end of the roof for lift out exchange, and more easily re-configurable seating and overhead bin/consoles. Eases changeover from LD to BC to corridor use should the need arise. Figure on an attempt to make food service easier to load in and close out. Perhaps an enhanced window line at one end to provide a more "lounge like" experience on the food service cars (there are probably enough to make worthwhile since food service cars are around 20% of the amfleet cars) Does it pay to build 3/4 with 2 vestibules and auto doors and 1/4 with one vestibule and manual doors for LD? Probably not, but who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
47789860.jpg

Fleet one (Ryan and AmtrakBlue)! On the alert! If everything holds, you know where to find them on Wednesday.

Fleet two! (PennyK)! If everything holds, you know where to find them on Thursday!

Do your thing!

I mean generally via what cities though? Am I remembering right that they go to Albany, and then down the Empire corridor?

(I don't know where all the freight rail divisions are that you mentioned.) And at what time roughly?

The reason I'm asking is that I live very close to the Empire corridor, so if they go that way at the right time I could conceivably get a picture... ^^

We'll be traveling in a sleeper on Oct 14, 2017 on the Silver Meteor out of New York Penn to Orlando.

What are the chances that we'll have a new sleeper and/or a diner in our consist?

We'll be traveling in a sleeper on Oct 14, 2017 on the Silver Meteor out of New York Penn to Orlando.

What are the chances that we'll have a new sleeper and/or a diner in our consist?
New Diner almost 100%. New Sleeper, more or less close to 0%.

Does anyone have a report about traveling in a new Viewliner sleeper and/or diner?
I have traveled on 2 different trains (Silver Meteors) with new diners. The diners are very nice and very comfortable.

I mean generally via what cities though? Am I remembering right that they go to Albany, and then down the Empire corridor?

(I don't know where all the freight rail divisions are that you mentioned.) And at what time roughly?

The reason I'm asking is that I live very close to the Empire corridor, so if they go that way at the right time I could conceivably get a picture... ^^
If the schedule was kept they passed from Albany to NYP yesterday and left New York today via the Meteor to Miami.

Ah, so I missed em yesterday. Too bad... I live about a 15 minute walk from what would have been an ideal photo spot in upper Manhattan. What time of day did they pass through?

In a week I'm moving to Charlotte NC in any case. By coincidence my new place is VERY close (like 2 minute walk) to the line the Crescent runs on, so I should be able to see VL2's then (albeit in the middle of the night...)

47789860.jpg

Fleet one (Ryan and AmtrakBlue)! On the alert! If everything holds, you know where to find them on Wednesday.

Fleet two! (PennyK)! If everything holds, you know where to find them on Thursday!

Do your thing!
AmtrakBlue reporting in, Sir! Mission accomplished.

Back