Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the train passed in the Orlando station, it appeared that a shiny new sleeper was deadheading. My "twin" suggested that it was not new, but one of the sleepers with new paint scheme. I think he is correct.
Your "twin" is correct. The 62043, which likes to trick many into thinking it's a 62500 series with its Phase III decals, is deadheading to Washington. Nice photos of the inside of 68001 too!

The 62043, which likes to trick many into thinking it's a 62500 series with its Phase III decals, is deadheading to Washington.
They should renumber it into the 65xxx series. Rail forums across the internet would light up like a Christmas tree for the "new Viewliner II sleeper"..... :)

They should renumber it into the 65xxx series. Rail forums across the internet would light up like a Christmas tree for the "new Viewliner II sleeper"..... :)
Heh ... 65xxx would perhaps be Viewliner III series (so far unallocated block AFAICT. Even better :p

Last edited by a moderator:
When the train passed in the Orlando station, it appeared that a shiny new sleeper was deadheading. My "twin" suggested that it was not new, but one of the sleepers with new paint scheme. I think he is correct.
Your "twin" is correct. The 62043, which likes to trick many into thinking it's a 62500 series with its Phase III decals, is deadheading to Washington. Nice photos of the inside of 68001 too!
A closer look in JAX. Of course my twin is correct. :)
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1487888772.399403.jpg

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1487888816.215500.jpg

Heh ... 65xxx would perhaps be Viewliner III series (so far unallocated block AFAICT. Even better :p
65000, if following the Superliner numbering methodology, would be a Viewliner Snack Coach. Let's do it.

How was the ride in Annapolis? Ambiance? Sound? Lighting? Was the food good?
The ride was quite nice; ambiance was very nice. Lighting was good and there are shades that can be lowered when the sun is too strong. Some people pulled shades this morning during breakfast.

I did not notice a difference in sound. The diner was not crowded during lunch or breakfast, but was full during dinner. Noise levels seemed quite acceptable. I had no problems hearing my tablemates. I am not sure if it had anything to do with the new diner, but there were no crying babies or screaming children, although there are plenty of children on the train because of the President's Day holiday in the north.

Yes, I thought the food was good each meal (however, I saw no difference between old diner food and new diner food). :)

The 62043, which likes to trick many into thinking it's a 62500 series with its Phase III decals, is deadheading to Washington.
I watched 62043 get "uncoupled" from 98 together with our 2 engines in WAS.

I rode in it on the Crescent last summer. My immediate impression upon sitting down was that the ride was much better than other cars. The higher ceiling is a much more open look. I asked the chef what he thought and he said he loves it.

The only issue I has was that the AC vents were directly below the windows and blew all over whoever was seated on that side. The crew had even duct-taped some of the vents to cut down on the draft.

I rode in it on the Crescent last summer. My immediate impression upon sitting down was that the ride was much better than other cars. The higher ceiling is a much more open look. I asked the chef what he thought and he said he loves it.

The only issue I has was that the AC vents were directly below the windows and blew all over whoever was seated on that side. The crew had even duct-taped some of the vents to cut down on the draft.
Annapolis had not been delivered yet last summer; Per the first post of this thread, it entered service on the Silver Meteor on December 15, 2016. You probably rode in Indianapolis, the prototype Viewliner I dining car from the late 80's.

Annapolis had not been delivered yet last summer; Per the first post of this thread, it entered service on the Silver Meteor on December 15, 2016. You probably rode in Indianapolis, the prototype Viewliner I dining car from the late 80's.
Sorry, you're right. I was on the Indianapolis. I hope they have done something about the AC vents.

The Viewliner Sleepers, at least the originals, have the same issue. In the roomettes, I typically have to put something like a pillow or blanket against the vents, to prevent the cold air from blowing directly at me.

The Viewliner Sleepers, at least the originals, have the same issue. In the roomettes, I typically have to put something like a pillow or blanket against the vents, to prevent the cold air from blowing directly at me.
I though they had a sliding vent cover. I know I have used it many times to cut the flow of air. Is it that only some cars have that feature?

Every viewliner I have been on has had a sliding vent cover. I have seen two different types of them, but each one had one.

In my room (right now) there are 2 vents under the window. The top one can be closed with the knob. Sometimes the bottom one blows hot air, cold air or no air. I put a pillow next to the vent to avoid air blowing directly on me.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1487976972.164567.jpg

I don't remember the black vents flowing air. But I could be mistaken. I know you can close the silver vents and I thought the heating was near the floor?

All Amtrak air vents are created in folded space and are controlled by a small man named Marvin who spins a wheel-of-fortune like device for each vent on every train to decide what kind of air each vent will disseminate.

I don't remember the black vents flowing air. But I could be mistaken. I know you can close the silver vents and I thought the heating was near the floor?
I'm not sure about the Viewliners as I've never been in their electrical locker but most cars I've dealt with are ex Amtrak Budds they have heat coming from the roof and floor heat. And if you ask me floor heat only serves one purpose when I'm working and that is to keep the pipes from freezing as the cars tend to get too hot with the floor heat on and the regular heat. So I'll run regular heat. I only use floor heat when I'm considered about freezing pipes.

There was cold air coming out of the black vents during my last trip.

Since warm air rises, it generally takes less energy to heat a space from the floor up with convection, than to send forced warm air downward. Of course things like bunks and chairs and tables make it a bit more complicated, but all things being equal it makes some sense. It's why heated kitchen an bathroom floors have become so poular.

Back