Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are photos posted "elsewhere" showing 62502 - Rapidan River and 68000 Albany, enroute from CAF to Albany.

No Bag-Dorm

It took me too long to clear off my car and the dang 97 was running on time for a change. I got to my spot and checked the status to see that it had already passed and was at WIL.
default_sad.png

I tried.

Here's a video from yesterday by 95 TRAINSPOTTER of the Silver Meteor with the Albany as the second-to-last car.

2 minutes ago, Agent said:

Here's a video from yesterday by 95 TRAINSPOTTER of the Silver Meteor with the Albany as the second-to-last car.

Wow, even with three coaches instead of the normal five, that is one long train. :eek:

It is also a bit weird seeing a Viewliner Sleeper with only six Roomettes on one side. We really are approaching the end of Roomette en suites. :(

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about the lack of the en suites. I support it from a cost/maintenance POV, but as a solo traveler often, they are definitely useful and nice.

Wow, even with three coaches instead of the normal five, that is one long train. :eek:

It is also a bit weird seeing a Viewliner Sleeper with only six Roomettes on one side. We really are approaching the end of Roomette en suites. :(
I'm confused. Don't all Viewliners (I & II) have 6 Rommettes per side, with both sides adding to 12 Rommettes total?

In the VL2, one roomette becomes 2 toilet modules resulting in one less revenue roomette, so one side will have 5 rev roomettes rather than 6. There are 14 spaces, so subtract 1 attendant, one shower, and the roomette that is now the toilet, for 11 rev, 6 on one side five on the other.

Viewliner Is have seven Roomettes on that side, because the SCA has his own room (making 13 total) On the Viewliner IIs, the SCA’s room is where (revenue) room 12 was, and the two shared toilets are where the SCA was. Therefore there are now 6 Roomettes on that side. On the other side of the car, there is now only one fewer window, because they have replaced the pair of blacked out windows next to the shower with just one upper window (which I guess isn’t blacked out?).

tumblr_o4emalLjxs1t8j0q0o1_1280.jpg

Do they really fit two toilets in the space of one roomette?  Doubt they would be handicapped accessible.  It is almost worth walking to the nearest coach to use the large toilet...
If they were able to fit a toilet, sink, and two seats that fold into a bed, into every Roomette, I don’t see how it’s difficult at all to fit just two toilet modules in place of one Roomette. And every sleeper still has one Accessible Bedroom with a bathroom in it anyway, so I don’t see much issue with these shared restrooms for Roomette passengers being somewhat small. I mean, anyone who was physically capable of using the in-Roomette toilets before, will be able to use these, and anyone who needed the Accessible Bedroom instead will still have that option.

Do they really fit two toilets in the space of one roomette?  Doubt they would be handicapped accessible.  It is almost worth walking to the nearest coach to use the large toilet...
If you've ever ridden in a Superliner Sleeper and have used the upstairs bathroom, it's roughly half the size of a Rommette. I imagine Amtrak could fit two small but comfortable bathrooms in the space of a Viewliner Roomette. 

If you've ever ridden in a Superliner Sleeper and have used the upstairs bathroom, it's roughly half the size of a Rommette. I imagine Amtrak could fit two small but comfortable bathrooms in the space of a Viewliner Roomette. 

I have used such a facility and found it quite acceptable.  However, given the recent posting of a Viewliner II diagram on AU showing the two restrooms at the end of the car across from the shower room makes me also wonder about its size.  Looks about the size of those restrooms, if that, on even the newest aircraft, which in my opinion, are smaller than those on older aircraft.

I have used such a facility and found it quite acceptable.  However, given the recent posting of a Viewliner II diagram on AU showing the two restrooms at the end of the car across from the shower room makes me also wonder about its size.  Looks about the size of those restrooms, if that, on even the newest aircraft, which in my opinion, are smaller than those on older aircraft.
It’s hard to gauge the actual size of something from a diagram like that. Each of those bathrooms are objectively half the size of one Roomette, equating to 3’6” by about 3’4”. Seems large enough.

The thought that certain aircraft bathrooms are now smaller is not opinion, it is fact. It varies by airline, and may appear on an older aircraft also, if the airline redoes the interior. 7 extra inches lets me have 2 more rows of "extra legroom seating" or if I want, a few less premium rows, but another full row.

The thought that certain aircraft bathrooms are now smaller is not opinion, it is fact. It varies by airline, and may appear on an older aircraft also, if the airline redoes the interior. 7 extra inches lets me have 2 more rows of "extra legroom seating" or if I want, a few less premium rows, but another full row.

Although you can't fly in one now, the 737 MAX's bathrooms have been getting particularly bad reviews: https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-737-max-lavatories/

Back