Viewliner II Part 3: Bag/Dorm Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the long run there would be too much deadheading involved. If not deadheading BOS <-> NYP, then you'd have to add a hotel room in Boston for the SCA to make the 66/67 turn.

Either way, hopefully we see this happen, even as a test.
Again, if there is enough revenue generated, it will pay for the cost of the attendant and there is no reason for anyone to deadhead. You can either split the job at NYP

66 NYP-BOS

67 BOS-NYP

67 NYP-NPN

66 NPN-NYP

or if you want to push, open a position (like they did for the Cardinal) and around the world them at WAS.

67-WAS-NPN

66-NPN-BOS

67-BOS-WAS

This isn't that much different than some of the regional runs.
Either way, by contract, they'd be adding a hotel room in Boston, something we know they're trying to cut back on.
I'm assuming that an SCA would turn with the equipment in NPN, making it more cost effective long term to use someone from Boston. I mean...it wasn't all that long ago they tried to suggest the LSA turn and come back...

How would this work, for an "around-the-world" assignment?

Day one Chicago to Boston Train 448

Day two Boston to Newport News Train 67

Day three Newport News to Boston Train 66

Day four Boston to Chicago Train 449

Day five Home

If too intense, the Chicago attendant could layover an extra day at Newport News to rest. No longer than a west coast turn.....
I just did some quick planning.. That's about 8 days on the road. When 448 would arrive into BOS they'd have to stay in Boston until the next day. Same with 66 to 449. The train arrives way to late for someone to hop on 67. The LSA on 67/66 already lays over for a day in NPN. So technically the run would look like this.

Day 1: Depart Chicago

Day 2 Arrive Boston

Day 3: Layover until night time departure of 67

Day 4: Arrive Newport News goto Hotel

Day 5: Depart Newport News in the evening

Day 6: Arrive Boston and goto Hotel

Day 7: Depart Boston on 449

Day 8: Arrive Chicago.

Long Distance trains are 6 on 4 off I believe. So you'd have to do 8 on and at least 5 off for a job like this. Not to mention they'd either have to hire quite a few people to work these jobs. It'd be easier to train BOS LSA's and hire a few for BOS.

Bottom line.. Chicago LSA's won't be going to Newport News.
I don't know the contractual terms regarding layovers, etc...I just assumed that if an attendant can work a west coast turn with just one layover, and no full day off between, that they could do what I proposed. I did not take into account what would happen if a train was running late, jeopardizing the connection.

Thanks for your answer...and I agree, the best scenario would be to have a Boston based attendant. Perhaps they could base one line of the Lake Shore at Boston, as well, to make a better use of having a Boston crew base?

The bag dorm is supposed to dh on 448(24) with Concorde to BOS.
Both are well on their way to Boston, confirmed by vision, audition, olfaction, and somatosensation. If there was food to cook, gustation may have also been possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bag dorm is supposed to dh on 448(24) with Concorde to BOS.
If that's the diner named after the capital of New Hampshire, it is "Concord". One the other hand, I saw a pair of 737 fuselages on a siding from the EB in northern Washington a couple of years ago. That was very impressive, a Concorde would be astounding!
default_mosking.gif

Just spotted 97 at WAS with a Diesel in tow behind a ACS-64 and the usual consist. So for no sighting of the bag-dorm.
It’ll be added in DC. And I believe that the diners and Bag Dorms were supposed to be moved to DC together which they weren’t. The diners were on the back of 161 today. Which is due into WAS around 530pm. So it’s possible they made it onto 97.

Just spotted 97 at WAS with a Diesel in tow behind a ACS-64 and the usual consist. So for no sighting of the bag-dorm.
One day too early. Sunday out of Washington, Monday through Florida.
As mentioned in the Diner conversation, I did spot Springfield and Tallahassee last night at WAS being pulled back to Ivy City late last night. So you're right about those two probably heading out of WAS today (Sunday 7/29) Didn't see the Bag-Dorm with them though. It did look like an additional deadhead Diner might have been added to the front of 97 (28) but I couldn't see the engine switch from where I was.

It’ll be added in DC. And I believe that the diners and Bag Dorms were supposed to be moved to DC together which they weren’t. The diners were on the back of 161 today. Which is due into WAS around 530pm. So it’s possible they made it onto 97.
They (the diners) did not make it on the back of 97 yesterday. Will try and keep an eye out for the Bag-Dorm this evening if anyone has intel on that movement.

Seeing there's 9 roomettes on the BD cars, the lounge car attendant and lone 'contemporary choice' first class lounge car attendant will have the place to themselves!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing there's 9 roomettes on the BD cars, the lounge car attendant and lone 'contemporary choice' first class lounge car attendant will have the place to themselves!!!
Don't forget the SCA and CA.

9 rooms is still a lot, which is why I suggested utilizing them on 65/66/67 as a test bed for sleeper service. Sell 8 of the rooms and see how it goes.

only for those of us who either still have one, or at least remember what they look like......
I have an active high quality one - part of my A/V setup. I also have a large collection of classic LPs and even a few 12” 78s!

My mother has an antique 100-year-old Victrola which she bought from, I believe, a real estate client. It came with a full selection of 78 RPM records...several of which are single sided (the flip side simply has the company logo or is blank).

She has asked me if I want it after she's gone. Oh yes!

Back