Viewliner II Part 4: Sleeping Car production, delivery, deployment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently took an overnight trip in a roomette on the Crescent and was pleasantly surprised to find myself in a Viewliner II sleeping car. I didn't even realize that the IIs ran on this route yet and the SCA (who was great) mentioned that he rarely sees them and referred to them as "Florida cars". This was my first time in a Viewliner II roomette and I loved the improvements - from the lighting to the huge foldout tray and the more modern appearance in general, they are great cars.

My concern however is the fact that the interiors don't seem to be holding up very well to daily wear and tear. I noticed cracks in the plastic next to where the tray table folds down, large cracks next to the cupholders, and cracks in the light covers. I peeked into a few empty roomettes and saw that some of them had cracking in the same areas that was covered over by what looked like tape and glue. Even in the shower, there were already areas that looked like the plastic had started to separate and were had large areas that were filled in by a ton of caulk. My concern is that these cars are only 2-3 years old and are looking more worn than some of the Viewliner I interiors. I hope they look as good as the Is do 30 years from now! Has anyone else noticed this or did I just have a bad car?

Do you mind sharing your car number? I’m trying my darnest to book the wife and I in a Viewliner ii sleeper from New Orleans to D.C. when we’re on the Crescent next month.

Today's 97 (02/18/23) was new, old, new.
This is what I experienced on my recent trip on the Meteor, and it was the same setup on the Southbound star that we passed.
I got the short end of the stick and had the older Viewliner... sad day. haha.

But walking through the new Viewliners... wow they did such a nice job! I wish Amtrak could make entire Viewliner Train sets for the single-level LD trains. The Viewliner II Sleepers and Viewliner II Diner are truly beautiful cars.

Right. Normally:

Star 2 Sleepers 10 - VL1, 11 - VL2
Meteor 3 Sleepers 10 - VL2, 11 - VL1, 12 - VL2
Thanks for the info you posted. This is exactly the info I was looking for but could not find anywhere. Next week I have my first train trip ever, Raleigh, NC to Deland, FL. Appears I get to experience the Silverstar VL1 on my way down (9111) and the VL2 on my way back (9210). At least if I am decoding that number correctly. I've seen a comment about 'sewer smell' in the VL1 from the in-room toilet, so I'm definitely bringing a piece of plastic and bit of painters tape as a just in case measure.

Which routes are always Viewliner IIs? Is it just the Cardinal?
I believe all the viewliner routes have a viewliner II rooms for sale except for trains 448/449.

(That would be the Crecent, Cardinal, Lake Shore Limited (trains 48/49), and Silver Star/Meteor)

Up until recently, the Crecent didn’t have any revenue VLII rooms, but according to several recent reports, space is now being sold in the crescent’s bag-dorm car which is a VLII.

Last edited:
Which routes are always Viewliner IIs? Is it just the Cardinal?

I believe all the viewliner routes have a viewliner II rooms for sale except for trains 448/449.

(That would be the Crecent, Cardinal, Lake Shore Limited (trains 48/49), and Silver Star/Meteor)

Up until recently, the didn’t have any revenue VLII rooms, but according to several recent reports, space is now being sold in the crescent’s bag-dorm car which is a VLII.
I think the intent of the OP was which trains have only VL II's. AFAIK, that would be just the Cardinal.

Here’s the #20 Crescent about ten minutes out of NOL. I took this two days ago. V2 was the first revenue sleeper. Paint-faded V1 was the second.

Attachments

• 3DC9793D-A50D-4891-BF09-671AD3FA480C.jpeg
    3DC9793D-A50D-4891-BF09-671AD3FA480C.jpeg
    861.7 KB · Views: 0
I am curious as to how many of the sleeping cars that Amtrak owns, how many are in service since the stated purpose of buying the VL2s was to do so.

I am curious as to how many of the sleeping cars that Amtrak owns, how many are in service since the stated purpose of buying the VL2s was to do so.
Amtrak owns all their sleeping cars. I do know that some superliners have been sold, but those cases aren't super common and I believe are due to cars that aren't in great condition. All sleepers that are in revenue service are owned by Amtrak. It's some equipment on state-supported routes where Amtrak does not own the equipment.

Here’s the #20 Crescent about ten minutes out of NOL. I took this two days ago. V2 was the first revenue sleeper. Paint-faded V1 was the second.
That Sleeper in the photo is the New River, a V1 Sleeper in Phase III livery and not a V2 Sleeper. V2 Sleepers are numbered above 62049.

Amtrak owns all their sleeping cars. I do know that some superliners have been sold, but those cases aren't super common and I believe are due to cars that aren't in great condition. All sleepers that are in revenue service are owned by Amtrak. It's some equipment on state-supported routes where Amtrak does not own the equipment.
The question is of all the sleeping cars Amtrak owns how many are in service. All VLIIs are not yet in service.

Reactions: Cal
The question is of all the sleeping cars Amtrak owns how many are in service. All VLIIs are not yet in service.
Actually, all VLIIs Sleepers are in service modulo PM/BO/protect (but that is true of all types of cars). A very significant number of VLI Sleepers are mothballed. They are all supposed to be put back in service over the next year or two, as are the mothballed Diners.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back