Viewliner II Part 4: Sleeping Car production, delivery, deployment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotcha.

The only train we've ever traveled (perhaps 10 trips) is the Auto Train - thus, in my mind, a bedroom is a bedroom. :D

A bedroom is a bedroom. However on viewliners you have more space for your luggage as there is space above the bathroom. You do not get to use the luggage rack that is on the Superliners first floor, nor can you stuff you car with your baggage on a train currently equipped with a Viewliner.

That said since your a Auto Train user, you now need a excuse to travel with out your family on the Auto Train, and hop a Sliver Train. Sorry I not going to give you a excuse, because women talk to each other. 😇

I am on a Silver right now in a Viewliner-II bedroom. It is extremely nice. I have not slept in it yet, but used the restroom and locked the door with no issues. I also lucked into the best SCA in Amtrak (in my opinion and that of many others).

I am on a Silver right now in a Viewliner-II bedroom. It is extremely nice. I have not slept in it yet, but used the restroom and locked the door with no issues. I also lucked into the best SCA in Amtrak (in my opinion and that of many others).

Leo is back? I need his schedule so I can plan my trips around him.

Tell Leo hello!
Ha! You are about the 6th person to ask to me say hello to Leo! He certainly is great! I have tried to describe all the people who have sent their best to Leo. Of course, he can't remember them all. He remembers Dick and asked about him immediately. I have traveled with Dick on the Meteor more times than I can count.

Leo is back? I need his schedule so I can plan my trips around him.
Mondays on 98 and Wednesdays on 97. He will be retiring at the end of this year. When I made my reservations, I did not know he was back and chose my dates based on price. I got super lucky. There are 2 SCAs for 3 cars. Leo is doing 10 and 1/2 of 11 and Patrick is doing 1/2 of 11 and 12.

Now that I have spent more time in the room, I see issues. The call button does not work. The door curtain does not close all the way. There is a water running sound between rooms A and B (that can be heard from both rooms). There is no place to store the ladder.

Now that I have spent more time in the room, I see issues. The call button does not work. The door curtain does not close all the way. There is a water running sound between rooms A and B (that can be heard from both rooms). There is no place to store the ladder.
Can't you place the ladder on the top bunk?

Can't you place the ladder on the top bunk?
The SCA told me there is no place to store the ladder. It is stored behind the chair. He has also received lots of complaints about lack of in room restrooms. A lot of the Silver passengers are elderly and have to use the restroom several times a night and many do not like leaving their rooms to do so. (Thus, the reason I am in a bedroom)

...and on a positive note, the mattress appears to be thicker. Hopefully that will allow me to sleep through the noise.

I just spoke to a supervisor from MIA, who I know and who is on the train. The "water running" sound is actually the vacuum system for the entire car which likely is located under the bedrooms. The sound bedrooms A and B (and possibly H) are hearing is the flushing at the other end of the car. I can say that there is whole lot of flushing going on right now at the other end of the car. It is quite annoying, in my opinion. My portable white noise machine helped me sleep overnight.
I asked about the ladder. The supervisor knows that it is stored in the upper bunk on Superliners but historically there was a cubby for it on Viewliners. He said the situation is being discussed and there was concern about putting it in the upper bunk for safety reasons (because it had not previously been there). He thinks eventually it will be stored in the upper bunk.

...and on a positive note, the mattress appears to be thicker. Hopefully that will allow me to sleep through the noise.
more positives: the mattress was very comfortable. I like the location of the outlets.

• Love
Reactions: Cal
I wouldn’t expect Leo to remember me. I haven’t been on the silvers that much.
I told him you said Hi. He is flattered that so many of you send your hellos and best wishes.

The SCA told me there is no place to store the ladder. It is stored behind the chair. He has also received lots of complaints about lack of in room restrooms. A lot of the Silver passengers are elderly and have to use the restroom several times a night and many do not like leaving their rooms to do so. (Thus, the reason I am in a bedroom)

I wonder if Amtrak should consider an "up-charge" roomette keeping the toilets for those who want them on trains with more than one sleeper?

I wonder if Amtrak should consider an "up-charge" roomette keeping the toilets for those who want them on trains with more than one sleeper?
So that then there can be a cacophony of complaints here about having to pay $100 more just for a stinking toilet? 😬

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back