Viewliner II Part 4: Sleeping Car production, delivery, deployment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is 62502 in service yet? We were watching the SB Silver Meteor go through Ashland maybe a week ago(?), and one of the moderators mentioned that that must be a V2 sleeper as it had the Phase III paint. I hadn't heard anything about 62502 going north again or it entering service. Does Amtrak have any V1's in Phase III? It was too dark to see a car number.

Ok Penny. Who’d you pay off to have that car? Lol!!!

It looks better on the outside than it does on the inside (at least my room). LOL. I am using my gaffer tape this trip.
I have a great SCA and so far, we are not running too late.

If this has been mentioned previously, forgive me. I was on the Meteor this weekend and my sleeping car attendant informed me that the H room on the new Viewliners will have a different configuration. The toilet will no longer be enclosed with a door. It will be behind a curtain (similar to the way it is on Superliners). There will be an enclosed shower. I have not seen this with my own eyes and I am not vouching for the accuracy of my SCA's observations.

I personally am not looking forward to the new Viewliner sleepers. (those of you that know me personally know why). I do not ride in the H room, but I think if I did, I would like a door enclosed, as opposed to a curtain enclosed, toilet.

The open toilet makes transferring from a wheelchair much easier with a sideways move. The present toilet in a narrow closet requires super arm strength to transfer with an 180 degree turn required.
Yup. The H room should be made most convenient for the handicapped people. The convenience of non-handicapped people as to whether they like curtains or not should be a very secondary concern, if at all.

The open toilet makes transferring from a wheelchair much easier with a sideways move. The present toilet in a narrow closet requires super arm strength to transfer with an 180 degree turn required.
Thank you for your insight. Being able-bodied and not needing an H room, I did not consider the logistics of transferring from a wheelchair.

I saw 98 today in KIS (and ORL) and it appeared to be deadheading a Viewliner II sleeper. The KIS station agent confirmed that the last car on the train was, in fact, a "new" sleeper.

98(15) had a deadhead Viewliner I sleeper Upfront, the Amfleets, the revenue Viewliner II diner, three revenue Viewliner I sleepers, a Viewliner II dorm for employee testing, the Viewliner II bag, and a deadhead viewliner II diner on the rear.

WOW. Thanks. I could tell there were many additional cars, but apparently was unable to correctly identify all of them.

Question on new sleepers. Does anyone know if the room outlets will increase in number and convenience of location? I couldn't believe in the VL H room, one has to run a wire across the walking/wheelchair space to get power for CPAP/other by a bed. Will the new cars involve better outlet layout?

I thought I read somewhere that there were going to be 4 outlets per room, but where they'll be, I do not know.

Here comes another sleeper...not that we've seen the other one enter service. If nothing dramatic occurs, the usual plan executes on Mon. Fleets one, two, and three will photograph 97 on the 30th. Fleet 4 will photograph 97 that passes through on the 31st.

Last edited:
Alas, I’ll be New Orleans on the 6th.

Well, I guess it is fortunate I never seem to know what week it is. This is for this coming Monday, so that means you should look on the 30th. :) I'll fix the posts.

Five games and two practices in a week will do that to you, but it is almost time for the playoffs....finally.

Well, I guess it is fortunate I never seem to know what week it is. This is for this coming Monday, so that means you should look on the 30th. :) I'll fix the posts.

Five games and two practices in a week will do that to you, but it is almost time for the playoffs....finally.

I thought you had the dates wrong. [emoji57]

And I will be in St Louis on the 30th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back