Viewliner II Part 4: Sleeping Car production, delivery, deployment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
The presence or absence of an in room toilet has been a subject for debate for quite a long time. I've ridden roomettes in both Superliners and viewliners, and it really never mattered to me, since all of my VL trips were solo, I never encountered one of the often mentioned drawbacks. During the present situation, some people who don't really feel comfortable in a public confined space might like the in room option.

So the cars sit. Perfect time to introduce them into the fleet and swap out viewliner 1 cars for overhaul and reconfigurations.
Sine there is a difference that may get some likes and some dislikes (and, Lord knows, Amtrak doesn't need any more angry customers who vind the type of roomette different and changing, the only way to do it is to commit to it permanently. It doesn't have to be on every line but, say, just on the Crescent or the Silvers or one of the other VL trains. But it needs to be every run of those trains. That shouldn't be a problem as just pulling all the old sleepers off one or two trains would provide plenty of spare cars to refurb as, when they are done, they can go back into service (as old cars if just refurbed as is or new cars if converted to end-of-hall restroom types).

That shouldn't be a problem as just pulling all the old sleepers off one or two trains would provide plenty of spare cars to refurb as, when they are done, they can go back into service (as old cars if just refurbed as is or new cars if converted to end-of-hall restroom types).

Having VL I sleepers on some trains (routes) and VL II sleepers on the others might cause problems unless they simply never sell the "extra" roomette on the VL I sleepers.

Having VL I sleepers on some trains (routes) and VL II sleepers on the others might cause problems unless they simply never sell the "extra" roomette on the VL I sleepers.
Why? In fact I would see more problems with confusion as to where the toilet is (in the room or down the hall) which means agents, app and web site need to make sure that it is noted when one selects a roomette) than the issue of the extra room. After all, when one makes a roomette reservation, one is not told how many total rooms are in the car. Remember, one train (say the Crescent) would ALWAYS run with the VL II but another (say the Cardinal) would ALWAYS run with the VL I until it was converted entirely to VL II. It's not like some Crescents or Cardinals would run VL I and others VL II.

Radar2.gif

Saint Marys and Saluda more will emerge next week and follow the usual transportation pattern. This will bring the total number to 11, meaning we are almost halfway through the delivery process.

Yet, we have yet to see one in revenue service. Well, at least they are probably nice and shiny. 🤪

Oops, I forgot about the COVID situation and why people might prefer their own facilities. I was looking forward to riding the new sleepers. No disrespect intended.
A more immediate COVID issue is that there is no money to do the upgrades to the VL-Is. Indeed there isn't even enough money available at present to maintain all service as is in FY 21, until Congress wakes up and does something about it.

Of course I suppose if they wished they could deploy the VL-II Sleepers on a select train or two.

Last edited:
Radar2.gif

Saint Marys and Saluda more will emerge next week and follow the usual transportation pattern. This will bring the total number to 11, meaning we are almost halfway through the delivery process.

Yet, we have yet to see one in revenue service. Well, at least they are probably nice and shiny. 🤪

I can't remember anymore. Does that mean Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon on 97 down to MIA?

On a side note, will the car named "SALUDA" have a 4% slant to the beds? LOL!

I can't remember anymore. Does that mean Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon on 97 down to MIA?

On a side note, will the car named "SALUDA" have a 4% slant to the beds? LOL!
You’re as bad as me on remembering which day. I’m 99% sure they’ll be on 97(12) - Wednesday

Amtrak has a credit rating right now (I know, fairly new for Amtrak's history); they could actually borrow money on the open market instead of doing asinine things which will cost more money. I've stated my advice long ago: daily service, more sleepers everywhere, fewer coaches -- appeal to the Covid-19 demand.

I caught 97 heading south out of WAS tonight 8/19/2020. It had 3 viewliner II sleepers. It looked like 2 new ones behind the baggage car and 1 in revenue service in front of the baggage car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back