Viewliner II Part 4: Sleeping Car production, delivery, deployment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A T shaped slot does indeed indicate a 20 A receptacle, but it is still likely that multiple receptacles are on the same circuit. Common practice would be multiple receptacles on a single circuit. If 4 20 A duplex receptacles are wired on one circuit, it does not imply 160 amps (8x20) it's still sitting on a 20A breaker. I'd be curious as to how the circuits are distributed, since the roomettes are pre built modules, I would venture a guess that they have harnesses that mate with the power distribution for the car above the ceiling in the hall.

Last edited:
I'm not sure on that, I have mixed feelings. Since so many devices now have various size connectors, most people would have to carry an appropriate cable, and traveling somewhere in a sleeper implies a trip long enough to be carrying an appropriate charger/cable anyway. Or perhaps, a wireless charger adapter plate. Probably more valuable on a short haul or commuter run type car.

So is that an emergency escape hatch on the end sliding door? Would that be necessary if the car overturns and you can crawl out? I guess that's why they went with a single door instead of the old Viewliner I double doors. Why not just make the window removable?

Also need to note that they have removed that stupid bar across the upper storage cubby and greatly improved the sink faucet function which always splashed all over the place.

Last edited:
Stumbled onto this video trip report of VL2 roomette; room tour is @2:41:

The new roomettes sure look really cool, and now that they removed the toilet I look forward to traveling in one. I hope LSL is next in line after Silver Service. Also while I haven't tried the flex meals myself saying something is better than Amtrak Cafe is setting the bar really low.

Given that (older) USB is in the process of being phased out in favor of USB-C, they'd likely wind up with connectors that nobody can use 3-5 years from now, and then they'd stay like that for 20+ years until some kind of retrofit.
Surely there will be a USB to USB-C converter. And surely it can't be hard to replace a USB port with a USB-C port. It's not as if there is a data connection. It's just for power.

Plenty of cables convert sizes. My old car had a USB port for plugging in thumb drives and power, my phone is USB-C There is also micro, and mini out there, and now wireless. Why bother. If you are carrying a cable or adapter anyway who needs another maintenance point.

Reactions: jis
Why bother. If you are carrying a cable or adapter anyway who needs another maintenance point.
It's not needed, but it's convenient and, more importantly, it is the standard in the travel industry. Amtrak should at least keep pace with industry standards - especially with brand new equipment.

It's not needed, but it's convenient and, more importantly, it is the standard in the travel industry. Amtrak should at least keep pace with industry standards - especially with brand new equipment.

Of course, given the extreme delays in this project these cars were designed, when, 10 years ago? But even the switches in the rooms smack of 1980s "technology."

Of course, given the extreme delays in this project these cars were designed, when, 10 years ago? But even the switches in the rooms smack of 1980s "technology."
And the lack of key cards in lieu of only lockable rooms when inside them. And the lack of a small monitor to display messages and other information anywhere in the car, much less in the room.

Last time I looked at the National electrical code a 20 amp circuit could have 13 duplex outlets . 15 amp was 9 outlets. However if that even applies to RR cars have no idea. ii

Last time I looked at the National electrical code a 20 amp circuit could have 13 duplex outlets . 15 amp was 9 outlets. However if that even applies to RR cars have no idea. ii
Two people running hair dryers simultaneously could trip a 20A C.B. Theoretically, one circuit per room would be needed. Doesn't necessarily mean 200A per car since not everyone will be using the hair dryers simultaneously but does mean a lot of breakers per car.

The number of receptacles (220.14) doesn't change what's available on the circuit. Best practice is a lower number, in residential wiring you see lots of low wattage plug loads, in a commercial application like an office, you would look at expected utilization much more carefully in the design phase. I have no idea what the panel (s) look like on these cars, you would look to balance across the phases as much as possible. There are some "heavy loads" that are factored in, HVAC the largest, and any separate circuits for icemaker, coffee maker, door ops, and toilet flush system. Door and toilet are obviously intermittent, but need to be there when you need them. Lighting draw is probably reduced quite a bit from previous designs, with LED lumens per watt being very high.

Any word how many years it might be before there's a number of them on the Auto Train.... 5-10 ??

Not in any time frame you would like. The AutoTrain is a closed system, It has it’s own maintenance facility. While Amtrak has never published a plan for deployment, the Auto Train is unique and very long train with capacity issues.

Not in any time frame you would like. The AutoTrain is a closed system, It has it’s own maintenance facility. While Amtrak has never published a plan for deployment, the Auto Train is unique and very long train with capacity issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back