Viewliner II Part 4: Sleeping Car production, delivery, deployment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a ticket for the Cardinal for next year. While picking my accommodations Amtrak stated that there was a toilet in the car. They don't say the toilet is in the room like they used to. While that sounds like a V2 they probably state that so they can use which sleeper is available when they make up the train. Most likely it will be a V1.

I thought that was part of the VL2 plan? The company making the interior compartments was going to make enough to convert the VL1 fleet as well.

peter

RailPlan I believe made the original modules, as well as the VL2 and certainly could produce them, but as pointed out above, that is on hold. It is a great deal of work for minimum gain, unless the cars were also going to receive a complete overhaul.

RailPlan I believe made the original modules, as well as the VL2 and certainly could produce them, but as pointed out above, that is on hold. It is a great deal of work for minimum gain, unless the cars were also going to receive a complete overhaul.
Replacing all the rooms would be a complete overhaul since the wiring, plumbing and A/C would probably all have to change. That leaves the trucks, windows and frame. Would make sense to fix any issues with the rest of the car at the same time.

Don't mean to switch gears here.....
Last week my brother and I took a trip on AMTK # 97 and # 98 from NYP to MIA.
Noticed on these consists (along with 19/20 ; 51/50 and 49/48) that they running with only 2 amfleet ll coach cars.
Anyone hear why?
Where are the rest of the coaches being stored?
During the height of covid I saw them in JAX.
I'm sure that puts a hurt on the one TA working both coaches.

Don't mean to switch gears here.....
Last week my brother and I took a trip on AMTK # 97 and # 98 from NYP to MIA.
Noticed on these consists (along with 19/20 ; 51/50 and 49/48) that they running with only 2 amfleet ll coach cars.
Anyone hear why?
Where are the rest of the coaches being stored?
During the height of covid I saw them in JAX.
I'm sure that puts a hurt on the one TA working both coaches.
My guess is it is shoulder season, with summer travel over, and too early for Snow Birds and Holiday travelers, so demand isn't there. One TA always works two coaches. When they have to work 3-4 coaches is when it gets a little excessive...

They’ve been running with two coaches since they went back to daily IRCC. Isn’t due to an amfleet II shortage because they’re being used on Illinois routes and differed maintenance? It’s what I’ve heard anyway.

I've been scrolling through the old posts in the thread looking for info about the VL2 sleepers on the LSL. So they are running on the New York section but not the Boston section? Do I have that right? I'm looking at a December trip so trying to find out.

I think they could go upto 19/20 on the road, so maybe one for the Crescent makes sense.

Meanwhile they need to service and restore the VL1s that have been replaced by VL2s and then assign them back to the trains they were removed from to enhance Sleeper capacity on those trains. But of course that is tied in with the latest convenient excuse of "no staff" to resolve itself somehow. The full complement of Coaches also need to be restored of course, but again it crashes into the shoals of insufficient mechanical staff. Sigh...

Last edited:
I think they could go upto 19/20 on the road, so maybe one for the Crescent makes sense.

Meanwhile they need to service and restore the VL1s that have been replaced by VL2s and then assign them back to the trains they were removed from to enhance Sleeper capacity on those trains. But of course that is tied in with the latest convenient excuse of "no staff" to resolve itself somehow. The full complement of Coaches also need to be restored of course, but again it crashes into the shoals of insufficient mechanical staff. Sigh...
depending on shop margin requirements, you could put 1 on the cardinal and LSL Boston, which would put 20 on the road...of course you are correct regarding the VL1...

Reactions: jis
I recently rode on the Silver Star from Philadelphia to Kissimmee, FL. I was in a Viewliner 1 Sleeper; the second one was a new Viewliner 2. It seems to me the Viewliner 1 cars are pretty much on their last legs. The power outlets in my bedroom could not hold my charging plug, unless I positioned it right. There was also duct tape holding the partition (which can be removed to make the 2 Bedrooms a suite) to the wall. I'm wondering if it was to keep the door from rattling. Also, it seems the VL1's give a rough ride when compared to the new VL2 diner on the train. I checked out the VL2 onboard, and it looked very nice. The Roomettes don't have the toilet, but still have a sink. I used the "community toilet" down the hall and found it to be comfortable. The community shower also seemed nice. My sleeper was No. 62044. I am taking 98 in March, and 91 again next May.

Attachments

• tempImage6NUYvs.png
    tempImage6NUYvs.png
    678 KB · Views: 23
  • tempImagetpZbR1.png
    tempImagetpZbR1.png
    754.2 KB · Views: 24
  • tempImageOhDmvz.png
    tempImageOhDmvz.png
    626 KB · Views: 23
  • tempImageERpJoq.png
    tempImageERpJoq.png
    737.1 KB · Views: 23
  • tempImagekHhN8y.png
    tempImagekHhN8y.png
    502.7 KB · Views: 24
  • tempImageRTXzxD.png
    tempImageRTXzxD.png
    590.5 KB · Views: 24
I recently rode on the Silver Star from Philadelphia to Kissimmee, FL. I was in a Viewliner 1 Sleeper; the second one was a new Viewliner 2. It seems to me the Viewliner 1 cars are pretty much on their last legs. The power outlets in my bedroom could not hold my charging plug, unless I positioned it right. There was also duct tape holding the partition (which can be removed to make the 2 Bedrooms a suite) to the wall. I'm wondering if it was to keep the door from rattling. Also, it seems the VL1's give a rough ride when compared to the new VL2 diner on the train. I checked out the VL2 onboard, and it looked very nice. The Roomettes don't have the toilet, but still have a sink. I used the "community toilet" down the hall and found it to be comfortable. The community shower also seemed nice. My sleeper was No. 62044. I am taking 98 in March, and 91 again next May.
Well, in that case, superliners have been "near the end" for a long time.

They will continue to serve until they literally cannot operate them or replacements come to cover all the VI's, which is many years away.

Edit: When I went to click "post reply" it said the thread wasn't found! Someone moved it to here, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back