Viewliner II Part 4: Sleeping Car production, delivery, deployment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lake Shore Limited:

- Boston Viewliner - is a Viewliner I
- NY Viewliner right behind the Sleeper Lounge (aka VIewliner Diner II) - is a Viewliner I (the 4911 or 4811 car)
- NY Viewliner at the far end - is a Viewliner II (the 4912 or 4812 car).

Been that way since September 2021.

I am a bit surprised they didn't go down to ONE NY Viewliner after Jan 17, but the two NY Viewliners help to add capacity for the disconnects, as the Capitol Limited is selling out prior to disconnects and not able to accommodate. A LOT of people were bumped to the Lake Shore that had to get to the East Coast, and originally booked on the Capitol Limited when trains were late or cancelled out of Chicago eastbound back in early January!

I was looking at some videos of the Viewliner II roomettes and it looks like the storage cubby up on the wall is smaller then it was on the original cars, can anyone confirm this?

I was looking at some videos of the Viewliner II roomettes and it looks like the storage cubby up on the wall is smaller then it was on the original cars, can anyone confirm this?
Yes. They are smaller.

I have a friend who has a bag that precisely fit in the VL-Is but does not in VL-IIs

🤬Center of Excellence!
All this happened a decade before anyone even thought out the name of said center. It was early in the Boardman regime when these design choices of the new Sleeper modules were made.

Last edited:
Yes. They are smaller.

I have a friend who has a bag that precisely fit in the VL-Is but does not in VL-IIs

Another example of "change for the sake of change"? Somebody doing something to justify his employment?

Another example of "change for the sake of change"? Somebody doing something to justify his employment?
That depends. If one assumes that all the drawings of the previous version of the Roomette Modules were available in sufficient detail and were usable in the new design tooling that would be a reasonable conclusion. However, if only conceptual sketches were only available and the detail engineering design had to be done all over then it is not change of anything, it is doing it anew. Unfortunately I have seen a lot of that sort of thing happen because it was impossible to suck in the old designs completely into the new CAD/CAM tools. So one can never be sure why it happened the way it did unless someone does the requisite research to figure out.

That depends. If one assumes that all the drawings of the previous version of the Roomette Modules were available in sufficient detail and were usable in the new design tooling that would be a reasonable conclusion. However, if only conceptual sketches were only available and the detail engineering design had to be done all over then it is not change of anything, it is doing it anew. Unfortunately I have seen a lot of that sort of thing happen because it was impossible to suck in the old designs completely into the new CAD/CAM tools. So one can never be sure why it happened the way it did unless someone does the requisite research to figure out.
Just speculating: It's been said that the black strip down the center of the VL I's is a cable conduit, which the VL II's lack. Perhaps whatever was running thru there was moved below the roof, occupying some of the space above the corridor that was used by the luggage cubbies.

Reactions: Cal
Just speculating: It's been said that the black strip down the center of the VL I's is a cable conduit, which the VL II's lack. Perhaps whatever was running thru there was moved below the roof, occupying some of the space above the corridor that was used by the luggage cubbies.
While we are speculating… there also may be modifications to the shell design for modern safety and crush test specifications that take up some of the previously available space.

Has Amtrak started pulling the V-1's out of service for refurbishment to look similar to the V-2's?

The ongoing Superliner refresh program includes “refreshing” the Viewliner 1s. In the five year plan document dump Amtrak put out yesterday it did indicate that the refresh will include some elements to make VL1s a bit more consistent with the new cars - possibly things like the seat cushions and maybe some other minor changes. It sounds like a decision has been made to also include retiring and replacing the Viewliner 1s and Superliner 2s in the Superliner 1 replacement program as part of an effort to make a more consistent fleet so the original planned VL1 modifications are likely out the door for good now. The one car type that still seems to be up in the air is Amfleet 2s. Part of the options for the new Siemens ICTs does include a program to replace the Amfleet 2s based on the Amfleet 1 program but they also could end up rolling it into the Superliner/VL1 program. They do plan on continuing to operate the newer VL2 cars with whatever new LD fleet is ordered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back