Viewliner II Sleeper on the Cardinal

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
According to a couple of reports on FB Cardinal now has a full Viewliner II Sleeper in addition to the Viewliner II Bag-Dorm.

This also incidentally makes the Cardinal the only LD train capable of running at 125mph on the NEC! It is shown running at 123mph on a Speed App in one of the posts.

Amtrak709

Service Attendant
According to a couple of reports on FB Cardinal now has a full Viewliner II Sleeper in addition to the Viewliner II Bag-Dorm.

This also incidentally makes the Cardinal the only LD train capable of running at 125mph on the NEC! It is shown running at 123mph on a Speed App in one of the posts.
jis: Explain to me what makes the Cardinal OK to run at the 125mph. Is it axle count, equipment, consist? Thanks!

Thanks for the information. I had a September trip from Chicago in a roomette. I just upgraded to a bedroom. Great pricing too.
Can you look at bedroom upgrade pricing from the website or do you have to call them? I am taking my first Amtrak trip in August and it’s on cardinal. I have the roomette room already.

saxpower

Train Attendant
I am riding the Cardinal in July. I took the train from Wilmington, DE go NYC yesterday (5/25). Coincidentally, the westbound Cardinal (51) came in as I was on my train waiting to depart, and can confirm it had a Viewliner II. Ironically, the eastbound Cardinal (50) was supposed to come in around the time my return did train did, but the Cardinal ran late so I didn't get a chance to see it.

There is a YouTube channel called "Jackson's Drones" which posts drone footage of trains I the New River, W. Va area, This includes regular videos of the Cardinal, so those interested can use the channel to see if the switch to V II's is permanent. A video posted today (it does not say the date filmed) has a 51 with a V II and a 50 with a V I.

Just-Thinking-51

Very bored and cranky pundit
What an under the train view! I wonder if any laws were broken by doing what was done.
Simple trespassing. However I am sure it’s a tiny GoPro on a flat heavy base, so not worthy for any LEO to take up any time to enforce. Would not recommend it, especially on a main line. Train can sneak up on you fast from any track direction.