Viewliner II Sleeper on the Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
According to a couple of reports on FB Cardinal now has a full Viewliner II Sleeper in addition to the Viewliner II Bag-Dorm.

This also incidentally makes the Cardinal the only LD train capable of running at 125mph on the NEC! It is shown running at 123mph on a Speed App in one of the posts.

According to a couple of reports on FB Cardinal now has a full Viewliner II Sleeper in addition to the Viewliner II Bag-Dorm.

This also incidentally makes the Cardinal the only LD train capable of running at 125mph on the NEC! It is shown running at 123mph on a Speed App in one of the posts.
jis: Explain to me what makes the Cardinal OK to run at the 125mph. Is it axle count, equipment, consist? Thanks!

jis: Explain to me what makes the Cardinal OK to run at the 125mph. Is it axle count, equipment, consist? Thanks!
@AmtrakBlue is correct. The Viewliner I Sleeper restricted it to 110mph. Viewliner IIs are 125mph capable.

Thanks for the information. I had a September trip from Chicago in a roomette. I just upgraded to a bedroom. Great pricing too.
Can you look at bedroom upgrade pricing from the website or do you have to call them? I am taking my first Amtrak trip in August and it’s on cardinal. I have the roomette room already.

I am riding the Cardinal in July. I took the train from Wilmington, DE go NYC yesterday (5/25). Coincidentally, the westbound Cardinal (51) came in as I was on my train waiting to depart, and can confirm it had a Viewliner II. Ironically, the eastbound Cardinal (50) was supposed to come in around the time my return did train did, but the Cardinal ran late so I didn't get a chance to see it.

There is a YouTube channel called "Jackson's Drones" which posts drone footage of trains I the New River, W. Va area, This includes regular videos of the Cardinal, so those interested can use the channel to see if the switch to V II's is permanent. A video posted today (it does not say the date filmed) has a 51 with a V II and a 50 with a V I.

What an under the train view! I wonder if any laws were broken by doing what was done.
Simple trespassing. However I am sure it’s a tiny GoPro on a flat heavy base, so not worthy for any LEO to take up any time to enforce. Would not recommend it, especially on a main line. Train can sneak up on you fast from any track direction.

Simple trespassing. However I am sure it’s a tiny GoPro on a flat heavy base, so not worthy for any LEO to take up any time to enforce. Would not recommend it, especially on a main line. Train can sneak up on you fast from any track direction.

Trespassing is what I thought it might be.

What are the chances that I will get a Viewliner II configuration when I'm on the Cardinal going from NYC to CHI (6:45 am departure)?
I'm in the Amtrak Viewliner-accessible bedroom.

What are the chances that I will get a Viewliner II configuration when I'm on the Cardinal going from NYC to CHI (6:45 am departure)?
I'm in the Amtrak Viewliner-accessible bedroom.
Unless the current sleeper is bad-ordered (broken), you chances are 100%. The Cardinal only has one revenue sleeper. And the bag-dorm is a VLII.

Unless the current sleeper is bad-ordered (broken), you chances are 100%. The Cardinal only has one revenue sleeper. And the bag-dorm is a VLII.
To clarify AmtrakBlue's comment...the VL2 bag dorm -is- a revenue car. I'm in roomette #5 on #51 aboard the bag-dorm-sleeper as I write this. We were 1hr late at Rensallaer but had a freight broken down ahead. We took a 2 hr hit before we got underway.

Recently booked a trip for next week from CHI - NYC on Cardinal 50 car 5009, a roomette. Does anyone know if this is a viewliner 1 or viewliner 2?

Back