Viewliner Roomette upper bunk question...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austruck

Service Attendant
Hi! I'm getting excited for my second Amtrak trip. (I took a cross-country trip last year... my first trip ever!)

I'm on a Viewliner this time, the Silver Meteor from Philly to Tampa. I'm in a roomette and everything I see online seems to show their upper bunks are better, bigger than the ones in the Superliners I was used to on my cross-country trip. (I traveled alone so I always slept in the bottom bunk anyway.)

Traveling alone again, so I can sleep in either bunk. My question is: Do any of you traveling alone sleep in the upper bunk, just so you can leave the lower area as chairs/seats? Frankly, I'm a night owl and expect to be up late sitting in my seat. Would like to try pulling down the bunk and sleeping up there. (I admit part of my reasoning is to have the experience, just because I can.)
default_smile.png

I'm only 5'1" tall so a slightly smaller bunk wouldn't bother me. Climbing up and down might be dangerous since the train is moving and I'm a klutz. But I really wanna try it!

Am I being stupid, or does anyone do this when they don't have to?
default_mosking.gif

Hi! I'm getting excited for my second Amtrak trip. (I took a cross-country trip last year... my first trip ever!)

I'm on a Viewliner this time, the Silver Meteor from Philly to Tampa. I'm in a roomette and everything I see online seems to show their upper bunks are better, bigger than the ones in the Superliners I was used to on my cross-country trip. (I traveled alone so I always slept in the bottom bunk anyway.)

Traveling alone again, so I can sleep in either bunk. My question is: Do any of you traveling alone sleep in the upper bunk, just so you can leave the lower area as chairs/seats? Frankly, I'm a night owl and expect to be up late sitting in my seat. Would like to try pulling down the bunk and sleeping up there. (I admit part of my reasoning is to have the experience, just because I can.)
default_smile.png

I'm only 5'1" tall so a slightly smaller bunk wouldn't bother me. Climbing up and down might be dangerous since the train is moving and I'm a klutz. But I really wanna try it!

default_mosking.gif
Actually lot of people do that, and I highly recommend it. You get an even better view in the top bunk, and there's still plenty of head room, so I'd take it over the lower bunk any day. I would just recommend you make sure to hold on as you climb up and down, and turn on a light if it's dark. I've never had an issue of falling (I've been in 18 Viewliner Roomettes so far), so I really wouldn't worry.

I find the lower bunk seems less prone to the slight swaying of the train. It is always good to try new things though!

Off topic, but did you write up about your first Amtrak ride yet, I seem to recall that was one of the reasons behind that trip?

Ed.

Travelled with my son on the Star in a Roomette several times. From the start of each trip we’d pull the upper berth down. Unlike on the superliners it’s a great space-more headroom and its own window. There’s still plenty of room underneath (I’m 6’) and it allowed my son to climb up and nap in his personal “man cave” whenever he felt like it (usually after meals. I’ve never found the swaying to be much different upper v. lower. Frankly I think sleeping a bit better in Roomettes versus bedrooms. While the latter are certainly much larger the beds are perpendicular to the direction of travel which can result in a bit more than gentle rocking in the event of abrupt starts or stops.

Travelled with my son on the Star in a Roomette several times. From the start of each trip we’d pull the upper berth down. Unlike on the superliners it’s a great space-more headroom and its own window. There’s still plenty of room underneath (I’m 6’) and it allowed my son to climb up and nap in his personal “man cave” whenever he felt like it (usually after meals. I’ve never found the swaying to be much different upper v. lower. Frankly I think sleeping a bit better in Roomettes versus bedrooms. While the latter are certainly much larger the beds are perpendicular to the direction of travel which can result in a bit more than gentle rocking in the event of abrupt starts or stops.
Exactly. Sleeping parallel to the direction of travel is not only more comfortable, but it also means that you're parallel to the window. In a Bedroom, you're either sleeping with your head next to the window but facing straight away from it, or you're facing toward the window with your head at the other end. Either way, you don't get nearly as good a view. Also remember that the private shower is really the only actual amenity that VL Bedrooms have which the Roomettes don't. Other than that, you're really only paying more space, which usually isn't necessary for most people for a one night ride.

default_smile.png

default_mosking.gif
You must be on the Silver Star since the Silver Meteor does not go to Tampa.

Actually, it could be the Meteor. There is a Thruway bus that connects in Orlando that goes to Tampa.
True, but but the phrasing ("I'm on a Viewliner this time, the Silver Meteor from Philly to Tampa") IMO strongly implies that she's going to be on the train all the way to Tampa.

Either way, maybe the OP herself could clarify?

It's nice to hear from you again, and I'm glad that you're still riding trains.

I guess I'm kind of a klutz too, because I find it somewhat difficult to climb into and out of the upper bunk in a Roomette. On a Viewliner, I prefer to push the upper berth all the way up for view and spaciousness. If I want to lie down, I just recline the seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the upper bunk in the Viewliner, and I always sleep there, whether I am with Hubby or alone! If I'm alone, it's nice to be able to leave my "office" set up "downstairs." The climb is not bad. Footholds are large, and there are grab bars where you need them. I am 5'1", and have no trouble reaching the hand-holds. The view from the upper bunk is superior, you only have to roll over and tug the curtain back just enough to peek out and see where the train is stopping in the middle of the night, then you fall right back to sleep.The "sway" some people complain about is just like a gentle rocking to me. I'm almost always awake a lot of the first night of any train trip, but after that (even if my return is three weeks later), the body remembers and likes it.

I have heard many people say that they are taking a train to Phoenix - even though it is a bus from FLG - or that they are riding a Viewliner from NYP to Denver.

I have also heard people say they use scotch tape, when it is not made by Scotch. (Scotch Tape, Xerox, etc... started out as names for specific products of specific companies,but is now used generically.)

With regard to OP's question, it really does not matter if she is taking the Silver Star or Silver Meteor. They both use Viewliner equipment. I am about 5'2" and I do not feel comfortable getting up and down to and from the top bunk. Although I have traveled on the top bunk when traveling with my sister or husband, when traveling alone, which I do now, I sleep on the bottom.

I dont care for the upper bunk in Viewliners. Im 6' and thin but it is just not comfortable for me. Easy to get up and down however. And its easy to lower and raise the bed. Viewliner bedrooms or roomettes have great views.Enjoy your trip.

I also prefer to use the lower bunk when traveling alone. That climb downstairs can be interesting if one needs to use the facilities during the night.

If you do decide to the use the upper bunk, you might wish to check the progress of the train and try to climb up when the train is at a station and not moving. A much easier time getting into the bunk.

Exactly. Sleeping parallel to the direction of travel is not only more comfortable, but it also means that you're parallel to the window. In a Bedroom, you're either sleeping with your head next to the window but facing straight away from it, or you're facing toward the window with your head at the other end. Either way, you don't get nearly as good a view. Also remember that the private shower is really the only actual amenity that VL Bedrooms have which the Roomettes don't. Other than that, you're really only paying more space, which usually isn't necessary for most people for a one night ride.
I disagree about the bedroom advantages in our particular case. We actually sleep better running perpendicular to the sway of the train, head to foot than in a roomette where you are tossed side to side. Also the restroom facility in a bedroom is far superior to the open toilet setup in a Viewliner roomette. We always have our beds made up with the head end at the door side so one can face the window for viewing. There is also more room for storage in the bedroom. Also nice to walk around within the confines of the room. Sink and dressing facilities make it also a more pleasurable ride.

One must always weigh the additional costs against comfort factors when deciding which room to select.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose if you use just the upper bunk, you get both pads (mattresses) and maybe a tad more comfort?
I disagree. I've tried sleeping on two, and all you get is an overly squishy mattress that squishes up around you, and if you sleep off center, it will start to tip quite a lot. Two thin foam mattresses does not equal one thick foam mattress.

Travelled with my son on the Star in a Roomette several times. From the start of each trip we’d pull the upper berth down. Unlike on the superliners it’s a great space-more headroom and its own window. There’s still plenty of room underneath (I’m 6’) and it allowed my son to climb up and nap in his personal “man cave” whenever he felt like it (usually after meals.
We did the same thing. The top bunk becomes my kid's own play area, while I sat downstairs.

I find the lower bunk seems less prone to the slight swaying of the train. It is always good to try new things though!

Off topic, but did you write up about your first Amtrak ride yet, I seem to recall that was one of the reasons behind that trip?

Ed.
Yes! I wrote a whole book about the experience! My trip was in early May 2017, and the book came out in September 2017. It's available here:

https://amzn.to/2CcOQo5

Actually, it could be the Meteor. There is a Thruway bus that connects in Orlando that goes to Tampa.
True, but but the phrasing ("I'm on a Viewliner this time, the Silver Meteor from Philly to Tampa") IMO strongly implies that she's going to be on the train all the way to Tampa.

Either way, maybe the OP herself could clarify?
Oops, sorry! Definitely the Meteor, with Thruway buses.
default_smile.png

When I typed in my origination city and destinations (actually starting in Pittsburgh, not Philly), I wasn't given much choice/many options. The arrival and departure times kinda picked my option for me, since nobody could get me the 50 miles to the station from home for the 5:20 a.m. train, for example.
default_biggrin.png

Back