Viewliner Sleeper Bathroom Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommylicious

OBS Chief
Sorry for the noob question but am I correct in remembering that Viewliner sleeper cars do not have bathrooms outside the rooms and roomettes?

The roomette bathroom creeps me out!

The shared/common use bathrooms (toilets) in coach are what totally creep me out. By the end of LD trip, they are far worse than any gas station, ever.

For the Viewliner roomettes, when one of us needs to use the toilet, the other stretches their legs and goes for a walk. Not a big deal.

I, obviously, have ridden in far too few trains or been in far too many gas station restrooms. I have seen many gas station restrooms far worse than any I have used an aboard Amtrak.

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying they can't do a better job keeping the facilities clean and usable - just not the worse I have ever seen (or had to use)

, obviously, have ridden in far too few trains or been in far too many gas station restrooms. I have seen many gas station restrooms far worse than any I have used an aboard Amtrak.

I agree. I'll add to your "gas station restrooms of shame" port-a-potties at many tourist sites world wide with my worst experience needing to use one at the Leaning Tower of Pisa. The Asian type restroom facilities, while unusual (and difficult at times) for Westerners to use, have been universally clean and well cared for.

Also, note that your head when sleeping is never “against the toilet”. Due to the reduced width, your feet are always at that end - that’s the way the mattress is shaped and how the SCA always makes the berth.

That set-up of a roomette has not always been my experience. Maybe it has to do with the direction the train is traveling? On the Auto Train traveling North, my feet were at the wide end of the bed and my head was at the commode end. My body was pointed in the direction the train was traveling.

I agree. I'll add to your "gas station restrooms of shame" port-a-potties at many tourist sites world wide with my worst experience needing to use one at the Leaning Tower of Pisa. The Asian type restroom facilities, while unusual (and difficult at times) for Westerners to use, have been universally clean and well cared for.
I have seen many, many gas station restrooms that would put Amtrak to shame. I am also not paying the gas station a fare of $500-$1500 to use their restroom.

You had a commode (toilet) by your head, in a roomette, on the Auto Train (a Superliner)?

Then, what am I remembering? I was in a Deluxe Sleeper on the Auto Train in one of the 4 Roomettes on the lower level. I remember getting out of bed during the night and using the commode in the Roomette without having to change the direction of travel the train was going.

Sometimes it feels like you do pay the gas station that much!😱

I remember when you paid $10 to fill your tank - and got money back. Now, it barely moves the needle!
For some of us with hybrids, a short while ago, that $10 mostly filled the tank. $1.40/gallon in a Prius gives 350+ miles.
And remember, when gas filled your tank in the old days of low prices, it left just as quickly as some of those cars (like my '68 GTO) seemed to have gas gauges that you could actually see move down in real time!

Then, what am I remembering? I was in a Deluxe Sleeper on the Auto Train in one of the 4 Roomettes on the lower level. I remember getting out of bed during the night and using the commode in the Roomette without having to change the direction of travel the train was going.

The only room with a toilet, on the lower level, would be the H or Handicap room, and your head would never be next to its toilet in night-time mode.

If you are traveling alone, the sleeping with the head by the toilet thing can be completely eliminated by asking the attendant to make up the upper bunk for you. This allows you to sleep in the upper bunk, far away from the toilet. In fact, the bed has usually been made for me with the head on the opposite side from the toilet.

For those more familiar with the upper bunk "coffin" on the Superliner, the upper bunk of a Viewliner roomette is surprisingly roomy, plus it was windows, so you can still see the countryside go by in the night, if that's your thing. the other nice thing about this arrangement is that you still have use of your seats, even after the bed is set up. The headroom's reduced, but the upper bunk slides up and down on a vertical axis, so it's pretty easy to push it up temporarily if you want to sit while the bed is made up. And it's great in the morning when you want to get dressed. I need to be a contortionist to get dressed in a Superliner roomette with the lower bunk made up.

I am getting my memories of my Amtrak trips confused. It was on the Silver Meteor that I recall the commode being within the Roomette, not on the Auto Train.

That makes sense, the Meteor uses the VL-1 sleepers, the roomettes have the sink and toilet in the room. The bed is normally set up with your feet at the toilet end. Occasionally some one will reverse it because of their preference for head or feet in the direction of travel if the car is facing the other way.

That makes sense, the Meteor uses the VL-1 sleepers, the roomettes have the sink and toilet in the room. The bed is normally set up with your feet at the toilet end. Occasionally some one will reverse it because of their preference for head or feet in the direction of travel if the car is facing the other way.

Until reading the comments on this thread, I didn't realize that I could have asked my SCA to have set the bed up so my feet were at the commode end.

Back