Viewliner Sleeper Bathroom Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the defacto standard. The bed tapers at the end by the toilet, people who sleep on their backs, or turn while sleeping generally don't like the narrowing by the head. A side sleeper might not care as much, depending on which side. Some folks feel that orientation by direction of travel is more important than the toilet.

The shared/common use bathrooms (toilets) in coach are what totally creep me out. By the end of LD trip, they are far worse than any gas station, ever.
I don't doubt that the restrooms were disgusting. I just find it odd that the solution is to build a toilet inside every compartment instead of training and equipping the staff to clean shared toilets regularly.

I never minded the in-room toilet. (It is sealed, even though it’s not enclosed.)

I find it much easier to just close the hall door and curtain “and go” Especially if traveling solo. And much easier to do so at 3 am, instead of finding your pants and shoes, putting them on and either going down the hall or to the lower level. And if you are traveling with someone, they can just step out in the hallway for a minute!

I much prefer it. When the VL-2 gets built (and the VL-1 gets updated), you’ll need to do that also to go to the end of the car.

Last edited:
I do wonder about the number of bathrooms on the VL-2. I believe it has 12 roomettes and 2 bathrooms. The Superliner has 14 roomettes plus family room and 4 bathrooms.
Usage patterns come into play as well. I would hazard to guess that the upstairs bathroom in a Superliner sees much more usage than a downstairs bathroom.

Usage patterns come into play as well. I would hazard to guess that the upstairs bathroom in a Superliner sees much more usage than a downstairs bathroom.
Which is why I often walk by the upstairs bathroom in a Superliner and use a downstairs bathroom. Usually downstairs there is no waiting in line and no one is knocking on the door wanting to come in. Those downstairs restrooms are the ones with least resistance.

Yeah sorry to say we passed on the Amtrak for several reasons, including the lousy new food service, the weird toilet situation, bizarre schedule, and ended up booking a flight instead.

Especially overnight, since lots of folks who get up in the middle of the night don't want to go down the stairs. Downstairs usually stays cleaner in my experience.

On Superliner sleepers, these are a major reasons why I choose a Roomette on the lower level. Plus, it is simpler to access the shower and one does not have to keep going "up/down" the stairs to see if the shower is available for me when the shower is in use by many.

In the VLs, the H room has a real door to it's bathroom. In the SL, it just has a curtain meaning noise, shower water and smells can permeate the room and the toilet and bathroom floor can become soaked from the shower. So in the Southwest Chief and CONO last December, we used the downstairs toilets and showers in lieu of the in-room ones. Not once were they unavailable nor was anyone waiting outside after we used them.

I believe the reason for having a curtain in the H room instead of an enclosed door is to make wheelchair transfers easier. I think the VIIs will have the same set up.

That's my understanding, also. Many people have said that the VL H room is the best room of all. There are a couple of pictures on Railplan's website. They are the supplier of the room modules.

On Superliner sleepers, these are a major reasons why I choose a Roomette on the lower level. Plus, it is simpler to access the shower and one does not have to keep going "up/down" the stairs to see if the shower is available for me when the shower is in use by many.
If I go to take a shower and it’s being used, I normally just wait in the vestibule/doorway. The longest “Wait” I’ve had was maybe 2 minutes. I think I once saw a “line” (of 1 person), but most always it’s always open!

If I go to take a shower and it’s being used, I normally just wait in the vestibule/doorway. The longest “Wait” I’ve had was maybe 2 minutes. I think I once saw a “line” (of 1 person), but most always it’s always open!

On one trip, that was not my experience. I went at must have been "prime time" for people starting their day. Since then, I usually arise at an hour that is not my "normal time to arise for the day" in order to get to the shower when it's not been used yet.

On one trip, that was not my experience. I went at must have been "prime time" for people starting their day. Since then, I usually arise at an hour that is not my "normal time to arise for the day" in order to get to the shower when it's not been used yet.
I usually take a shower mid-afternoon when it is much, much quieter and by that time hopefully the attendant has cleaned up the shower space from the morning rush. Of course it also depends on the scenery. I don't want to be in the shower when we are going through prime scenery.

My own opinion is that the VL H room is the best room on Amtrak, and the Superliner H room is the worst room on Amtrak.
Aside from the toilet being exposed, when I rode the CZ last year the room would, from time to time, smell like sewage. I don't know whether it was related to the macerator, or periods of heavy restroom usage, or whatever, but the smell would last for a while, then subside, then reoccur a few hours later. The SCA basically shrugged it off.

And the Superliner H room for some reason has a window that is much smaller than the other rooms.

My own opinion is that the VL H room is the best room on Amtrak, and the Superliner H room is the worst room on Amtrak.
Other than being dowstairs with its limited view of the world, the fact that the bathroom was behind a curtain not a door and that there was no way to keep the door closed when out of the room as it always rocked open, I'd say it is better than the romettes or the regular bedrooms in the superliners and a LOT cheaper than the bedrooms.

Other than being dowstairs with its limited view of the world, the fact that the bathroom was behind a curtain not a door and that there was no way to keep the door closed when out of the room as it always rocked open, I'd say it is better than the romettes or the regular bedrooms in the superliners and a LOT cheaper than the bedrooms.
Only if you qualify for the handicapped fare. If not, and you get it because it’s not sold just before departure, it’s sold at the bedroom rate!

Back