Viewliner Upper Bunk

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
The upper bunk on a Superliner is known for being uncomfortable because of the lack of head room, and difficulty of getting into and out of, but not much is said about the top bed on a Viewliner.

A friend and I will be taking the Cardinal and the Lake Shore Limited. Is there enough room to completely sit up? Is it easy to get in and out of?

I've only ridden in a Viewliner roomette once but after numerous trips in Superliner roomettes it was astounding! Yes, I could easily sit up and that extra headroom made it easier to get in and out of the upper bunk. The upper window is a real plus too.

I love the upper bunk on the Viewliner. I can't say I've sat up in it, but I believe it's doable. BUT, it's the upper window that makes all the difference. I sometimes lay there at night watching the world go by.

I am 6'2'' and can sit up on the upper bunk. There are three steps too climb up there with sturdy grab rails.

Here is a slightly blurry photo of the bunk.

The other shows the steps .

I know it's highly subjective but I find the viewliner upper bunk very comfortable and fun. My favorite spot on the train.

Generally speaking I like viewliner roomettes much better than superliner roomettes, the higher ceiling, the upper window, even the "ensuite". :lol: Ok, the commode was super weird at first but then I got used to it.

The superliner roomettes are just sectionals with doors, which may or may not be an advantage.

The upper bunk on the Viewliner is great. Generally, I sleep on the upper and keep the lower in daytime mode. I love the window on the upper at night. Only sensitive item is when there are two in the room, that is the toilet in the room, next to the lower bed/seat.

Yeah - the Superliners have two floors that they are trying to get bunks on. The Viewliner has only one. So that in itself makes it considerably more roomy. The windows from the upper bunk are awesome, and there is an extra storage space for larger bags above the hallway. It's VERY spacious vs a Superliner.

By the way, don't forget when you're using the restroom to close your curtains. You will probably go through some train stations...

My friend is going to be in the top bunk and I don't want her to feel uncomfortable.
Wait till she sees the ensuite commode. :ph34r:

By the way, don't forget when you're using the restroom to close your curtains. You will probably go through some train stations...
I've read warnings about this many times but in my experience the only time you can see into the room is when it's dark outside and the lights are on inside, mostly due to Amtrak's heavy limo style tinting.

My friend is going to be in the top bunk and I don't want her to feel uncomfortable.

I've read warnings about this many times but in my experience the only time you can see into the room is when it's dark outside and the lights are on inside, mostly due to Amtrak's heavy limo style tinting.
And then, just wave to anyone looking. ;)

The only major advantage of the SL over the VL (sleepers) is the luggage rack downstairs. VL roomettes have some over the hall storage, but be wary of over carrying luggage. If checked bag service is available for your origin and destination, you can prepare one set of bags with everything you need, and check the rest. The in room toilet has large numbers of supporters and detractors. It will not be present on the VL2s when they finally show up.

And then, just wave to anyone looking. ;)

LOL! Yep. That's what I would do. And, if the "lookers" don't like what they are seeing, then don't look!

We'll be in the H room so I don't expect there will be any lookers.
Well, that means things are even better. It is a larger bed, and your toilet is behind a door (as you apparently know).

In my experience, there are two tiny drawbacks to the Viewliner H room. The electrical outlet is in an inconvenient location. Rather than the (built-in) steps as in the roomette, there is a ladder. Still, it's the best accommodation on Amtrak.

Agreed on all counts! :)

But with a power strip, the plug is not bad at all. And the H-Room has more floor storage for luggage.
Any idea whether a wheel chair like this could be accommodated?
XLT2_140.jpg

I'm 6' 2", yes I am young and able bodied, but I change clothes every morning in the upper bunk of a superliner, and if you want to go sightseeing, go to the SSL, while the window for the upper bunk is nice, it'll be dark when you're sleeping anyway

Nothing stops anyone from changing in the upper berth of a Viewliner. The curtains are quite thick.

I love watching the moonlit scenery pass by as I slowly fall asleep. This effect would be impossible in daylight. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the mattress in the upper bunk to be uncomfortably hard, particularly while being jostled to-and-fro. Then again, I'm used to sleeping on a Tempurpedic, so I may be spoiled. My wife would have had trouble climbing into the upper bunk due to physical limitations.

That's another advantage of traveling in a sleeper...when you turn out your lights at night, the room is dark enough for you to get your 'night vision', and you can see out pretty well, with no reflections on your window.

I used to always raise my shade (I guess it's slide your curtain, now), to view such sights as The Horshoe Curve, etc.

I would also peak out from bed to watch station stop activity. That was when having one of the upper level duplex single slumber rooms had a privacy advantage, with its smaller size, and high location, as an upper level Viewliner bunk, or an upstairs Superliner's Roomette would today...

The upper bunk is way better than the superliner because of the window,ease of getting into, and ease of operating up or down so you can use it during the day for a nap or sightseeing. I've had to close the curtains at night in the winter because it was too cold with a thin blanket and not much warm air coming from the heater vent. I like the wash basin and commode set up although one does have to deal with privacy matters and a middle of the night maneuver may be a problem for some.

Plenty of room "upstairs" in the Viewliner. When taking family trips, it was not unusual for us to pull the top bunk down during the day - the adults would watch out the window downstairs while the kids played board games upstairs. (The other roomette was relegated to restroom duty.)

Back