Viewliner vs Superliner Roomettes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedEO

Service Attendant
I finally took my first cross country trip on Amtrak last December, Cleveland to L.A. on the Lakeshore Ltd connecting to the Zephyr. I've taken lots of trips out of Cleveland to Chicago, NYC and Washington, DC, but finally got to do my trip home to L.A. It was also my first time in a Superliner Roomette, versus a Viewliner Roomette. I have to say, I really didn't like it and had wished I'd gotten a Bedroom. Once the bed was down, I could not turn around in the approximately 1' x 2' space next to the berth, which made changing clothes VERY difficult to say the least (keep in mind I am 6' 2"). While having a toilet in the room is very nice on the Viewliner, it wasn't absolutely necessary to me. But I notice on the Amtrak website it claims that both Viewliner and Superliner Roomettes are 3' 6" wide. This is NOT possible since it also says the lower berths in both cars are 2' 4" wide. In the Viewliner, I have room to turn around when standing next to the berth, because the toilet is at least a foot and a 1/2 wide, while the Superliner had a MUCH narrower little shelf where the toilet would be in the Viewliner, which made for a much narrower space next to the berth. When I asked the SCA why there are no Viewliners on the Western routes, he said he thought it had to do with the tunnels, but the Viewliner is single level, whereas the Superliner is two levels, so how could that be?

Anyone else notice the difference in space? (perhaps I'll have to bring a tape measure when I take the SC home this year!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like having the window for the top bunk in the Viewliner!
I remember someone telling me when he takes the Viewliner, he always sleeps in the top bunk because the view is a little better from up there and he likes to wake up and watch the world go by while still under the covers!

I took a ride on the Silver Star back in 2007 in a viewliner roomette. While they are nice, I really hate having the toilet in the room, especially out in the open and next to your bed. So when it comes down to it I prefer superliner rooomettes.

I'm taking my first trip in a viewliner roomette, here in a few weeks. I've only had superliner bedrooms before, the roomettes on those just looked too small. How much larger are the viewliner rooms, in comparison?

BigRed,

The difference is that the Viewliner beds taper at the foot end to clear the toilet, whereas the Superliner beds are 2'4" for their entire length. That taper gives you more room to manuver, both when changing and when climbing up to the upper bed. And since one needs less room for the legs & feet, than the upper body does, the taper works well.

And the reason that you don't find Viewliner on the Western trains is because Superliners will fit through those tunnels, but not on the east coast. So Amtrak needed to keep single level cars in use for the east coast trains. All other trains they went with Superliners to increase carrying capacity.

I'm taking my first trip in a viewliner roomette, here in a few weeks. I've only had superliner bedrooms before, the roomettes on those just looked too small. How much larger are the viewliner rooms, in comparison?
The Viewliner roomette is the same length & width as the Superliner roomette. The only difference is that the Viewliner roomette is taller, ie. the ceiling is much higher. This gives the illusion that the room is bigger.

I like the Viewliner much more. You have more turnaround room. While the previous commenter mentioned having the toilet next to the berth, there is a nice heavy lid that completely covers it - very nice to have since I always have to go at least once during the night. You also have a nice big space to put your suitcase in a cubby up above - big enough to fit my duffel bag sized suitcase - no having to go downstairs to search for your luggage to get things out. And you have the extra windows on the upper berth. The higher ceilings and wider space makes all the difference. Oh, one other trick - if you're in the room alone, ask the attendant if you can also have the mattress from the one berth put on top of or under the other one before it's made up. Makes it even nicer!

I remember someone telling me when he takes the Viewliner, he always sleeps in the top bunk because the view is a little better from up there and he likes to wake up and watch the world go by while still under the covers!
That is indeed a nice perk.

However, when I'm traveling solo, the bigger reason that I prefer the upper bunk is that in the morning I climb down and then just push the upper bed up out of my way. Now my seats are already up and I have plenty of floor space to get dressed.

If I sleep down below, then either I have to toss the mattress up and reset the seats, or I struggle through changing and then get the attendant to do it.

It's just so much easier to grab that handle and push the bed up. :)

BigRed,

The difference is that the Viewliner beds taper at the foot end to clear the toilet, whereas the Superliner beds are 2'4" for their entire length. That taper gives you more room to manuver, both when changing and when climbing up to the upper bed. And since one needs less room for the legs & feet, than the upper body does, the taper works well.

And the reason that you don't find Viewliner on the Western trains is because Superliners will fit through those tunnels, but not on the east coast. So Amtrak needed to keep single level cars in use for the east coast trains. All other trains they went with Superliners to increase carrying capacity.
Now that you mention the taper, that probably explains it and I seem to remember that. If only they could do the same with the Superliners - put in toilets, add the taper and it will just seem so much roomier. Not being able to turn around made me feel a bit trapped.

BigRed,

Now that you mention the taper, that probably explains it and I seem to remember that. If only they could do the same with the Superliners - put in toilets, add the taper and it will just seem so much roomier. Not being able to turn around made me feel a bit trapped.
While it wouldn't happen to the existing Superliners, it's just too expensive to retrofit, there is no reason that they cannot build new Superliner's with that taper without regard to whether or not there is a toilet in the room.

And regarding that toilet, unless the plans have changed very recently, the new Viewliners that Amtrak just ordered will not have that toilet in the roomette. It's being eliminated. Therefore it's unlikely that any new Superliners that might be brought in the future will have a toilet in the roomette.

While it wouldn't happen to the existing Superliners, it's just too expensive to retrofit, there is no reason that they cannot build new Superliner's with that taper without regard to whether or not there is a toilet in the room.

And regarding that toilet, unless the plans have changed very recently, the new Viewliners that Amtrak just ordered will not have that toilet in the roomette. It's being eliminated. Therefore it's unlikely that any new Superliners that might be brought in the future will have a toilet in the roomette.
Hmmm. Wonder if the taper will be gone along with the toilet?

That remark resembles me :)

AFAIK the taper will remain.

AFAIK the taper will remain.
I think the taper still needs to be there in order to allow larger cases to be placed in the storage cubby-hole over the corridor

The Viewliner roomette is the same length & width as the Superliner roomette. The only difference is that the Viewliner roomette is taller, ie. the ceiling is much higher. This gives the illusion that the room is bigger.
I noticed that there are about 3 different closet arrangements in the Superliner roomette; no closet, closet space with no door (IIRC), and closet with door. I like the no closet best, gives a little more elbow room when sitting, and my carry on bag fits there better than with a closet.

I have to say that both Viewliners and Superliners are bad design (I compare to European trains).

Who needs toilets in the Roommette? It's a stupid idea. Do you like sleeping with the toilet next to your head?

And the most important thing - instead of showers in the Bedroom they would better put 4 people in the Bedroom

like in European trains.

First, they would have more capacity and the Second - it would give more options for large groups of travelers.

For example, we have a family of 4. How can we travel by train in a sleeper?

Only in Family Bedroom that is limited to Western trains only and moreover - there is only 1 (one!) Family Bedroom available in the Superliner car. On the Eastern trains we have no other options rather then buying 2 rooms.

Do you really think somebody will buy 2 rooms to split the family and pay huge cost? Of course, people will prefer to drive or to fly.

If they did Bedrooms for 4 people instead of Bedrooms with showers - that would be a completely different story.

Plus they already have a public shower in Viewliner cars, so I don't understand why they are wasting space for 3 extra showers instead of extra passengers.

I like having the toilet & sink in the room. I hate having to go downstairs every evening and again in the morning, just to get ready for either bed or the day. If they take those out of the viewliner roomettes, where are they going to put a restroom? Currently there aren't any public restrooms that I know of anywhere except 1 handicap one in the lounge car, if it's working. I don't want to have to go 3 cars down just to use the restroom.

And on the topic of viewliner vs superliner, I'd also like to mention that in addition to the window, the upper bunks in the viewliners also have more head room. You can actually sit up and read or work on your computer. Something you can't do in the superliners.

I like having the toilet & sink in the room. I hate having to go downstairs every evening and again in the morning, just to get ready for either bed or the day. If they take those out of the viewliner roomettes, where are they going to put a restroom? Currently there aren't any public restrooms that I know of anywhere except 1 handicap one in the lounge car, if it's working. I don't want to have to go 3 cars down just to use the restroom.

And on the topic of viewliner vs superliner, I'd also like to mention that in addition to the window, the upper bunks in the viewliners also have more head room. You can actually sit up and read or work on your computer. Something you can't do in the superliners.

I'd need a helping hand to find my way down stairs in a Viewliner,LOL. No offense intended!

I have to say that both Viewliners and Superliners are bad design (I compare to European trains).
The European and US markets are different with regard to passenger expectations. I don't think just transplanting European style sleeping accommodations would work here. That doesn't mean Amtrak's sleeping cars are perfect either, though.

As for Viewliner vs. Superliner roomettes, I prefer the Viewliners just for the extra window and the height. I don't think I'd really want to travel with two people in a Superliner roomette, just because one person's going to get stuck with that top bunk that has no window and is right by the ceiling. Actually, traveling alone I once tried that bunk out just for the heck of it, and I didn't mind it so much, but that might have been only because I knew I could switch to the bottom bunk at any time. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I felt I *had* to sleep up there because the person I was with took the bottom bunk.

I do dislike the toilet in the Viewliner roomettes, though, now that I typically travel with my wife. I wouldn't mind it if I was by myself. (In fact, the slumbercoaches used to have this, and I liked not having to worry about a bathroom being occupied or somebody else having fouled it up if I needed to use it.) It's too bad there is not really a good compromise that Amtrak can come up with. I still feel they should bring back slumbercoaches, for true single-occupancy sleeper travel, and then they can have toilets in the rooms again.

Also, it's been a while since I rode in a Superliner roomette but I remember liking the decor better than the Viewliners. The Viewliner decor is *very* utilitarian, and plasticky. It's like a rolling hospital room. I remember Superliners as having some carpeted surfaces and faux-wood, which at least warmed things up a little bit even if it is fake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that there are about 3 different closet arrangements in the Superliner roomette; no closet, closet space with no door (IIRC), and closet with door. I like the no closet best, gives a little more elbow room when sitting, and my carry on bag fits there better than with a closet.
That was a closet with a broken door. There are only two variables, closet or no closet. And it's the Superliner I's that have the closet.

And the most important thing - instead of showers in the Bedroom they would better put 4 people in the Bedroom

like in European trains.
Taking out the shower wouldn't give you any more room. You'd have to take out the shower, toilet, & sink to gain enough room for 2 more beds, and then just barely. Additionally, it would then prevent you from opening the connecting door to the next room to create a Bedroom Suite.

First, they would have more capacity and the Second - it would give more options for large groups of travelers.For example, we have a family of 4. How can we travel by train in a sleeper?

Only in Family Bedroom that is limited to Western trains only and moreover - there is only 1 (one!) Family Bedroom available in the Superliner car. On the Eastern trains we have no other options rather then buying 2 rooms.

Do you really think somebody will buy 2 rooms to split the family and pay huge cost? Of course, people will prefer to drive or to fly.
It would only be marginally cheaper, as Amtrak would simply charge you more for a 4 bedded room, just like they do know with a family room.

In fact, there are times that it's actually cheaper to book 2 roomettes over a family room.

That was a closet with a broken door. There are only two variables, closet or no closet. And it's the Superliner I's that have the closet.
Thanks Alan, I was wondering if I was right about that one.

Currently in the Viewliner, there are in effect 14 roomettes. Roomettes 1 - 12 are sold to the public. Roomette #13 is given over to the shower and roomette #14 is the sleeping car attendants room.

Under the new design, the attendant will be moved to room #12, the shower remains in #13, and room #14 will be split in half to provide 2 public restrooms. There will only be 11 rooms available for sale to the public with this configuration.

I'd need a helping hand to find my way down stairs in a Viewliner,LOL. No offense intended!
I, of course, was refering to the lack of these items in the superliner roomette, forcing everyone to go downstairs to find restrooms.

Currently in the Viewliner, there are in effect 14 roomettes. Roomettes 1 - 12 are sold to the public. Roomette #13 is given over to the shower and roomette #14 is the sleeping car attendants room.

Under the new design, the attendant will be moved to room #12, the shower remains in #13, and room #14 will be split in half to provide 2 public restrooms. There will only be 11 rooms available for sale to the public with this configuration.
Thanks Alan. I do fear with only 2 restrooms though, that lines might be a problem at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back