Viewliners or Superliners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith1951

Service Attendant
Is there a way to pick which liner you want for a trip? I know one had or still has a toilet in the roomette and one does not.

Is there a way to pick which liner you want for a trip? I know one had or still has a toilet in the roomette and one does not.
All Long Distance trains west of Chicago run Superliners. The Texas Eagle runs Superliners.

Between Chicago & Washington DC, the Capitol Ltd. runs Superliners, and the Cardinal runs Viewliners.

All other trains east of Chicago run Viewliners.

Superliners do not have a toilet in Roomettes. There are 2 versions of Viewliners: Viewliner I has a toilet in Roomettes; Viewliner II does not. There's no way to know for sure whether a Viewliner on any particular train will be a version I or II, but you can ask here on this board what is the usual consist.

As others have noted, Superliners west of Chicago, plus the Capitol Limited and Auto Train. Viewliners east of Chicago.

As to toilet/no toilet roomettes in Viewliner Is versus Viewliner IIs one of the few ways to find out is to monitor here. Amtrak treats the two generations as interchangeable and changes the equipment/car line assignments periodically. 4812/4912 was assigned a V II and 4810/4910 had a V I until recently. Now reportedly 4812/4912 has a V I and 4810/4910 has a V II. Last November I was in 4911 that had a V II as what was apparently a one time substitution.

As others have noted, Superliners west of Chicago, plus the Capitol Limited and Auto Train. Viewliners east of Chicago.

As to toilet/no toilet roomettes in Viewliner Is versus Viewliner IIs one of the few ways to find out is to monitor here. Amtrak treats the two generations as interchangeable and changes the equipment/car line assignments periodically. 4812/4912 was assigned a V II and 4810/4910 had a V I until recently. Now reportedly 4812/4912 has a V I and 4810/4910 has a V II. Last November I was in 4911 that had a V II as what was apparently a one time substitution.
I thought 48/49 only had 2 sleepers numbered 11 & 12, and they were changed from 1 VL1 + 1 VL2 to 2 VL1's. And the Boston sleeper, which I think is numbered 20, was changed from a VL1 to a VL2.

I thought 48/49 only had 2 sleepers numbered 11 & 12, and they were changed from 1 VL1 + 1 VL2 to 2 VL1's. And the Boston sleeper, which I think is numbered 20, was changed from a VL1 to a VL2.
My mistake if the Boston sleeper is the 20 car. I seem to recall it showing 4910 when I walked the platform in Albany, but I could have mis-remembered now that you point it out.

My mistake if the Boston sleeper is the 20 car. I seem to recall it showing 4910 when I walked the platform in Albany, but I could have mis-remembered now that you point it out.
The eTicket from our last LSL trip out of Worcester MA shows the sleeper as 4920 and 4820 respectively.

You can't trust the number on the outside of the cars. ;) I've seen a Silver Meteor car in Harrisburg, PA. I've seen other cars with wrong numbers next to the doors.

You can't trust the number on the outside of the cars. ;) I've seen a Silver Meteor car in Harrisburg, PA. I've seen other cars with wrong numbers next to the doors.
Was that a coach? I don't see any LD trains going thru Harrisburg. The line numbers on the coaches are generally ignored by everyone. I don't think OBS bother to update the signs.

Was that a coach? I don't see any LD trains going thru Harrisburg. The line numbers on the coaches are generally ignored by everyone. I don't think OBS bother to update the signs.
Most likely an Amfleet II Coach on the Pennsylvanian.

Last week Lake Shore Limited had VLII or Boston sleeper and two VL1’s for NYC section. I believe that has been the standard for a bit, as mentioned in a previous post. The 12 car had been a Viewliner II Sleeper, but that has since changed.

I seem to recall hearing somewhere (maybe even on a thread here) the access to the line number indicators were plated over or otherwise rendered inaccessible on Amfleet IIs by some modification other and no longer even can be changed.

Of course, I am just doing my internet duty by repeating a rumor, so take that into account.

I seem to recall hearing somewhere (maybe even on a thread here) the access to the line number indicators were plated over or otherwise rendered inaccessible on Amfleet IIs by some modification other and no longer even can be changed.

Of course, I am just doing my internet duty by repeating a rumor, so take that into account.
That seems like a strange modification.
If they were doing so to avoid a more costly refurbishment of the indicators, you would think they would at least remove the digits or set them all to “0000”, to avoid giving erroneous indications…🤔

Considering the state of repair on Amtrak, maybe whatever had been covering it on that car fell off.

Last edited:
Back