Viewliners. Why?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
could be worse...
toilet-unsual1.jpg

I would rather pee in my pants than get anywhere nea that thing.

**shudders** clowns

Wait until you see the sink :lol: .

I will pass, but thank you.

There will be no in roomette toilets in the new Viewliner Sleepers, and my guess is once they come in the toilets will also get removed from the old Viewliner Sleeper roomettes.
I did not like that setup at all. The narrow seat on the toilet side was even smaller than coach. Just wrong. Glad someone decided to change and remove.

Another observation was the 100% plastic everything. On the Superliners, especially the remodelled ones, there are carpet inserts and a more 'home-y" look to the interiors. Think AMTRAK will design out the plastic shell look and go with something more visually pleasing?

I just with the Superliners had the upper bunk window.

There will be no in roomette toilets in the new Viewliner Sleepers, and my guess is once they come in the toilets will also get removed from the old Viewliner Sleeper roomettes. They will have two common use toilets at the Shower end of the car, opposite the showe as a matter of fact if my memory serves me right. Decision based on customer survey that apparently clearly shows that the current generation of travelers prefer not to have them in the roomettes.
The irony is that the "ensuite" toilet was probably originally designed because of surveys showing that travelers didn't want to share a communal toilet!

could be worse...
toilet-unsual1.jpg

I would rather pee in my pants than get anywhere nea that thing.

**shudders** clowns
To be fair, I don't think that was ever intended to be used by ladies.

Or for No. 2's.

Here is a urinal that was really intended for use by women, however (along with an instruction sign):

am2.jpg
am3.jpg

I don't think it ever made it onto a train, though! :)
Is this really necessary?

Sorry if I sound sarcastic, but come on now. There's been too much of this lately.

The Viewliner toilet and sink is GREAT if you're traveling alone. I'll take a private sink and toilet anyday over walking to a public restroom. Especially in the middle of the night. Not so great if there's two of you though.
I completely agree. I find the Viewliner rooms to be more comfortable than the Superliners.

I don't like the Superliner upper bunk. It is very clostrophobic to me.

I only take the roomette if I'm traveling alone.

I'd say that Betty rode in a 22-8 or a 16-10. They had rooms that were just like that. That would be a Slumbercoach.

Oh Great! It's been years since I've been in a viewliner sleeper - 21 years - and I had forgotten about the toilet arrangements and total lack of privacy. That time I was alone in the roomette, so it was perfect. For the gathering I'll be traveling with another lady and we'll probably just step out of the room when one of us is using the lou. But am I reading correctly? You can't use the toilet when the bottom bunk is made? Or is that just an unwritten rule for Petaluma???

Are the Viewliners 21 years old, though?
I don't know. Maybe it was a predecessor to the Viewliner. Looking at the configuration, the room is the same IIRC.
Betty;

I believe the Viewliners came out in '95-'96. I have some coffee mugs around here with the exact date but I can't locate them right now. You're probably thinking of the old 10 and 6's.
Correct, the production run was 95-96, with 4 cars delivered at the end of 95 and the rest in 96.

As pointed out earlier, the new Viewliners will not have toilets in the roomettes.
Since you are waiting to be noticed, according to whom was this decision made? It seems difficult to believe that a decision has been made about something that is many years away from its time to be replaced. Because of funding and other issues, Amtrak has enough difficulty making decisions a year or two out. I am skeptical about this claim.

I think the Viewliner toilets are an excellent idea. I, too, only get a roomette when I am alone. And I would never travel without Lysol spray and wipes, even when I am alone.

Well hind site being 20/20 so to speak. I don't think I ever heard a complaint about the pullman type sleepers having a toilet in every roomette. Maybe that is because as nearly every aspect of the earlier cars, the new ones are not pleasantly arranged or designed. The wonderful fold down sink in the pullmans and concealed toilets were my less offensive than sticking the wash basin and toilet first thing in the door and then you have to sit and look at it the whole trip. No wonder people obsess over its being there. Worst yet the poorly designed or replaced curtains in the viewliners leaves you have exposed even when they are closed. The old sleepers were pretty much a one person design too which made it seem more spacious to me, not trying to cram to people into a tiny space with all the luggage, and then the toilet there staring at you. That way privacy with the toilet wasn't even an issue if you were alone. But then we all know things are better designed and made today. NOT!

Since you are waiting to be noticed, according to whom was this decision made? It seems difficult to believe that a decision has been made about something that is many years away from its time to be replaced. Because of funding and other issues, Amtrak has enough difficulty making decisions a year or two out. I am skeptical about this claim.
The decision has been made by Amtrak. Some have seen the diagrams that go with the RFP. However, being skeptical about any claim until you have had a chance to verify it yourself is OK by me. Not believing what I say in this regard will not cause any harm to anyone. :)

The RFP for the Viewliners is already out, the designs outlines are pretty final and order is supposed to be placed in 2010. Pre-qualification of manufacturers is going on at this time. Of course if the budget passes in its current form there will be no money for capital to support purchase of Viewliners or any other rolling stock in 2010 out of the regular Amtrak budget. But then again there are other budgets that could include the necessary money. In any case it is never too early to be ready with the groundwork, should the money materialize.

The decision has been made by Amtrak. Some have seen the diagrams that go with the RFP. However, being skeptical about any claim until you have had a chance to verify it yourself is OK by me. Not believing what I say in this regard will not cause any harm to anyone. :)

The RFP for the Viewliners is already out, the designs outlines are pretty final and order is supposed to be placed in 2010. Pre-qualification of manufacturers is going on at this time. Of course if the budget passes in its current form there will be no money for capital to support purchase of Viewliners or any other rolling stock in 2010 out of the regular Amtrak budget. But then again there are other budgets that could include the necessary money. In any case it is never too early to be ready with the groundwork, should the money materialize.
I see too many reports of "inside info" here that ultimately prove incorrect to simply swallow something based on heresay. As for ordering Viewliners, I cannot see Amtrak ordering Viewliners when the current onse have not even seen their 15th birthday. This seems highly unlikely in this day and age, even with the increased Amtrak budget this year.

I see too many reports of "inside info" here that ultimately prove incorrect to simply swallow something based on heresay. As for ordering Viewliners, I cannot see Amtrak ordering Viewliners when the current onse have not even seen their 15th birthday. This seems highly unlikely in this day and age, even with the increased Amtrak budget this year.
Well Amtrak is indeed ordering new Viewliners as noted in this topic talking about the Request For Proposal. And they just held the first meeting for those wishing to bid on the project in Hialeah, Florida.

They aren't ordering new cars to replace the old cars, they are ordering new cars to supliment the existing fleet of 50 sleeping cars by 25. Additionaly they are also order 25 Viewliner dining cars to replace the dying Heritage dining cars, and 75 baggage cars to replace the dying Heritage baggage cars. Of that 75 baggage cars, 25 will be half baggage/half crew dorm, the other 50 will be full baggage cars.

Well hind site being 20/20 so to speak. I don't think I ever heard a complaint about the pullman type sleepers having a toilet in every roomette. Maybe that is because as nearly every aspect of the earlier cars, the new ones are not pleasantly arranged or designed. The wonderful fold down sink in the pullmans and concealed toilets were my less offensive than sticking the wash basin and toilet first thing in the door and then you have to sit and look at it the whole trip. No wonder people obsess over its being there. Worst yet the poorly designed or replaced curtains in the viewliners leaves you have exposed even when they are closed. The old sleepers were pretty much a one person design too which made it seem more spacious to me, not trying to cram to people into a tiny space with all the luggage, and then the toilet there staring at you. That way privacy with the toilet wasn't even an issue if you were alone. But then we all know things are better designed and made today. NOT!

Yes, the old pullman roomettes were precisely a one person affair, one bed, one person. About the only way they might put two in there would be a mother and a small child.

What is that toilet in the room nonsense.
Nonsense? :eek:

It is the BEST idea Amtrak ever had! It, alone, makes the Viewliner roomettes 1,000's of times better than the Superliner roomettes!

You don't have to wait, nor worry about others waiting for you. That is not only for the toilet, but for the sink too!!!!

I could go either way on the toilets in the roomettes, but I hope they keep the sinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm another vote in favor of in-room toilets from a passenger perspective, it's just easier, and quicker than having to go down the hall.

From an engineering perspective however, I'm against. More plumbing, more hookups between the modules, more complexity, more maintenance. Granted, the fewer public toilets could go offline making a bad situation for the pax, but there's always the next car.

^^

Having in-room bathrooms not only raises engineering and maintenance issues, it's a cleaning matter. I would hope they save a little bit of time and money not having to go through and thoroughly clean all of the bathrooms (while hoping they do a decent job on the remaining toilets).

I didn't really need to have a bathroom in my roomette when I was traveling earlier this summer. There was a sufficient number of bathrooms on the car (and they were cleaner than the ones I usually encounter in coach).

^^Having in-room bathrooms not only raises engineering and maintenance issues, it's a cleaning matter. I would hope they save a little bit of time and money not having to go through and thoroughly clean all of the bathrooms (while hoping they do a decent job on the remaining toilets).

I didn't really need to have a bathroom in my roomette when I was traveling earlier this summer. There was a sufficient number of bathrooms on the car (and they were cleaner than the ones I usually encounter in coach).
For me it depends on double or single occupancy, and convienence in the middle of the night. The traditional roomette was single occupancy, and having your own facilities was great. However, the toilet was not accessible in the middle of the night unless you lifted the bed.

Having ridden extensively in Superliner economy bedrooms/roomettes, and also having ridden in Viewliners, both double occupancy, when it comes to going, especially at night, I'd rather have the bathroom down the hall instead of rousting somebody out of bed so I could do my business.

I think it is a better decision all around to use common bathrooms for the "roomettes" like the Superliners. BTW - those accomodations are cramped for two, but often it is the only economically reasonable alternative.

^^Having in-room bathrooms not only raises engineering and maintenance issues, it's a cleaning matter. I would hope they save a little bit of time and money not having to go through and thoroughly clean all of the bathrooms (while hoping they do a decent job on the remaining toilets).

For me it depends on double or single occupancy, and convienence in the middle of the night. The traditional roomette was single occupancy, and having your own facilities was great. However, the toilet was not accessible in the middle of the night unless you lifted the bed.

Having ridden extensively in Superliner economy bedrooms/roomettes, and also having ridden in Viewliners, both double occupancy, when it comes to going, especially at night, I'd rather have the bathroom down the hall instead of rousting somebody out of bed so I could do my business.

I think it is a better decision all around to use common bathrooms for the "roomettes" like the Superliners. BTW - those accomodations are cramped for two, but often it is the only economically reasonable alternative.
Had no problems on my just completed 16 state/9 segment trip!The bathrooms were all clean,the remodeled

Superliner restrooms were great and in the bedroom on the EB did not use it for #2 as they say,only

shower and to pea!Going down the hall/stairs is not that hard for most(no offense to disadvantaged folks,

I still think Amtrak couid do better for them!)!Im going east this fall,first time on sleepers in the Viewliner

trains so will get to experience their bathrooms firsthand!(I will be by myself this time,it surely makes a

difference I would think!)

Yeah, but that was obviously in a Superliner sleeping car that has five public restrooms. In the new Viewliners there are going to be supposedly two restrooms for use by all the roomette passengers. Just trying to get in there to brush your teeth in the morning is going to be a big hassle. In my opinion it's a big downgrade. Bad idea by Amtrak.

Yeah, but that was obviously in a Superliner sleeping car that has five public restrooms. In the new Viewliners there are going to be supposedly two restrooms for use by all the roomette passengers. Just trying to get in there to brush your teeth in the morning is going to be a big hassle. In my opinion it's a big downgrade. Bad idea by Amtrak.
I agree. I very much like the toilet and sink in the Viewliner roomette. It is a great convenience, especially for those of us you are unable to sleep through the night and have to use the facilities at all hours.

I'm accustomed to seeing differing, reasonable points of view . . . but I gotta admit I NEVER thought I'd see anyone who liked in-room toilets.

They are unsanitary, plain and simple.

You don't have to be a germ-a-phobe to realize toilets are something to be used, hands thoroughly washed, and then gotten away from. I'm pretty sure that's the consensus.

It is a bit un-nerving to be in a small room that countless thousands have slept in before (to be fair, Amtrak seems to generally do a good job in cleaning them) . . . but to live/sleep in a room countless thousands have used as a BATHROOM?! I just don't know how they EVER reached the decision to do that; they were likely trying to save public restroom space and make it revenue.

I don't "like" the walk to the men's room at work; but that doesn't mean I want a toilet sitting in my office next to my desk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back