Viewliners. Why?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
could be worse...

toilet-unsual1.jpg

It's ok I guess. My wife and I have rules on what kind of business happens in there though. Aroma has a lot to do with it, and it doesn't get used at all if the bottom bunk is occupied. But it does have it's advantages.

It's ok I guess. My wife and I have rules on what kind of business happens in there though. Aroma has a lot to do with it, and it doesn't get used at all if the bottom bunk is occupied. But it does have it's advantages.
Especially if you're traveling alone.

We're the same. Leaking is okay, but grunting is not in a Viewliner sleeper, one has to smell up the public rest room in a coach or lounge car. My wife also brings air freshener and lysol wipes as well and uses them in cruise ship cabins, motel and hotel rooms too.

I think that having them in the room is rather handy! Especially if you get motion sickness (like me!) when you're walking through a swaying train.

The Viewliner toilet and sink is GREAT if you're traveling alone. I'll take a private sink and toilet anyday over walking to a public restroom. Especially in the middle of the night. Not so great if there's two of you though.

The Viewliner toilet and sink is GREAT if you're traveling alone. I'll take a private sink and toilet anyday over walking to a public restroom. Especially in the middle of the night. Not so great if there's two of you though.
What happens when they quit working like happens in the West so much?Guess Amtrak

sends out a voucher for nose and sinus treatment? :lol:

There will be no in roomette toilets in the new Viewliner Sleepers, and my guess is once they come in the toilets will also get removed from the old Viewliner Sleeper roomettes. They will have two common use toilets at the Shower end of the car, opposite the showe as a matter of fact if my memory serves me right. Decision based on customer survey that apparently clearly shows that the current generation of travelers prefer not to have them in the roomettes.

What happens when they quit working like happens in the West so much?Guess Amtrak

sends out a voucher for nose and sinus treatment? :lol:
Do we get Viewliners in the west?

There will be no in roomette toilets in the new Viewliner Sleepers, and my guess is once they come in the toilets will also get removed from the old Viewliner Sleeper roomettes. They will have two common use toilets at the Shower end of the car, opposite the showe as a matter of fact if my memory serves me right. Decision based on customer survey that apparently clearly shows that the current generation of travelers prefer not to have them in the roomettes.
Yeah, I actually would have voted to toss them. If asked.

Oh Great! It's been years since I've been in a viewliner sleeper - 21 years - and I had forgotten about the toilet arrangements and total lack of privacy. That time I was alone in the roomette, so it was perfect. For the gathering I'll be traveling with another lady and we'll probably just step out of the room when one of us is using the lou. But am I reading correctly? You can't use the toilet when the bottom bunk is made? Or is that just an unwritten rule for Petaluma???

Oh Great! It's been years since I've been in a viewliner sleeper - 21 years - and I had forgotten about the toilet arrangements and total lack of privacy. That time I was alone in the roomette, so it was perfect. For the gathering I'll be traveling with another lady and we'll probably just step out of the room when one of us is using the lou. But am I reading correctly? You can't use the toilet when the bottom bunk is made? Or is that just an unwritten rule for Petaluma???

Are the Viewliners 21 years old, though?

I don't know. Maybe it was a predecessor to the Viewliner. Looking at the configuration, the room is the same IIRC.

But am I reading correctly? You can't use the toilet when the bottom bunk is made? Or is that just an unwritten rule for Petaluma???
You can use it, but its the privacy thing, again.
Unlike in the single roomettes in at least the Manor sleepers in Canada, where you have all the privacy in the world since it is a single room, but you have to raise the bunk and stick it in the wall to get access to the facilities, a royal pain in the rear end.

I don't know. Maybe it was a predecessor to the Viewliner. Looking at the configuration, the room is the same IIRC.
Betty;

I believe the Viewliners came out in '95-'96. I have some coffee mugs around here with the exact date but I can't locate them right now. You're probably thinking of the old 10 and 6's.

Betty;

I believe the Viewliners came out in '95-'96. I have some coffee mugs around here with the exact date but I can't locate them right now. You're probably thinking of the old 10 and 6's.

Maybe she rode in one of the prototype Viewliners? They're a few years older than the current ones.

cpamtfan-Peter

Betty;

Maybe she rode in one of the prototype Viewliners? They're a few years older than the current ones.

cpamtfan-Peter
The viewliner roomettes are essentially the same as the old slumbercoach double room. I'd say leave the toilets in the room but put a public restroom at one end of the new order cars. The heritage 10-6 sleepers and slumbercoachs had them.

Sorry for the confusion. We don't use the loo if the bottom bunk is occupied. One of us leaves the room.

The viewliner roomettes are essentially the same as the old slumbercoach double room. I'd say leave the toilets in the room but put a public restroom at one end of the new order cars. The heritage 10-6 sleepers and slumbercoachs had them.
As pointed out earlier, the new Viewliners will not have toilets in the roomettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back