Vintage Route Guides

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We’re making the most of having to be sequestered at home by preparing for our trip next summer: organizing our route maps and route guides, revising our packing lists, updating the Amtrak radio frequencies programmed into our scanner, etc. (We remain optimistic that the country will be more-or-less back to normal by July and that we will be making our trip as planned.)

On the subject of route guides, we’ve collected a few over the years that we’ve found to be particularly good. Our favorite SWC route guide is one that dates from 1998 and which has the information organized from east to west and (by turning it over) from west to east. We also have a 1930 copy of By the Way, the route guide that the Santa Fe Railroad once gave out to its passengers. This one is quite extensive and identifies almost every small town located along the main line between Los Angeles and Chicago as well as all of the Santa Fe’s other routes. It contains many interesting bits of route trivia from yesteryear.

When riding the Capitol Limited, we refer to a 1956 copy of The Magic Window Story, the route guide that the New York Central Railroad once gave out to its passengers. Although not as extensive as the Santa Fe’s route guides, it too has some interesting information.

We’re always interested to hear about the vintage route guides that other people take with them when they travel, so please share your thoughts on this subject.

Eric & Pat

When riding the Capitol Limited, we refer to a 1956 copy of The Magic Window Story, the route guide that the New York Central Railroad once gave out to its passengers. Although not as extensive as the Santa Fe’s route guides, it too has some interesting information.

Eric & Pat
What was the Capitol Limited doing on the New York Central?😊
Just kidding...I know you are referring to the current Cap on the Cleveland to Chicago segment....:)

I have a hardback copy of The Empire--That Missouri Pacific Serves which I obtained at a library discard sale. No copyright or publication date, but it looks to be from the early postwar period. It looks to have at least a capsule description of every town and depot on the MoPac system.

I have a book called Rail Ventures that has some route guides along with some very basic Amtrak information.

I have a hardback copy of The Empire--That Missouri Pacific Serves which I obtained at a library discard sale. No copyright or publication date, but it looks to be from the early postwar period. It looks to have at least a capsule description of every town and depot on the MoPac system.
Nice find, I used to have old timetables,Route Guides and ads from the Mopac and Katy ( and SP and Santa Fe)Systems which ran through my Hometown,but my Mom threw them away ( along with my Baseball Cards!)when I went into the Navy!

ABE Books.com currently has three used copies of this particular title.

The book was written around 1957-58

Back