Quantcast

Virgin Trains USA Orlando Extension

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

McIntyre2K7

Train Attendant
AU Supporter

Willbridge

Lead Service Attendant
Whenever I hear about Brightline I remember that there was a deep thinker at Oregon DOT when I worked there who predicted that there would only be so much capacity in the then expanding highway system and that private operators might be able to run rail service at a profit eventually in some corridors. Of course, in the meantime much of the rail infrastructure and real estate related to the potential service was sold off or degraded, so the Brightline idea will only work in the right scenario.

cocojacoby

Lead Service Attendant
I suspect that the Port of Miami angle is likely to end up "on the shelf" for a few years.
Doesn't make much sense anyway. You still have to transfer via a bus or van from the train to your cruise ship since the terminals are far apart and you will have a lot of luggage. Just as simple (albeit maybe 5 minutes longer ride) from Miami Central. Also this greatly simplifies the scheduling since you won't have some trains going to different terminals..

Palmetto

Conductor
FEC has a spur that it uses to get to the port for its freight. So theoretically, passsenger trains could go there, too. The problem is that the spur leaves the main line just north of Miami Central, and trains going to the port would miss it.

cirdan

Conductor
FEC has a spur that it uses to get to the port for its freight. So theoretically, passsenger trains could go there, too. The problem is that the spur leaves the main line just north of Miami Central, and trains going to the port would miss it.
Doesn't it actually pass under one corner of the Miami Central complex, or at least the approach viaduct. So it would hypothetically be possible to put in a platform there and link that to the rest of the station by some form of covered walkway or airport style travellator - or if you don't mind going low-tech, just do a backup move.

Another problem at the port of Miami is that the FEC track presently ends in a freight yard, which is used to transfer (mostly) container boxes between ships and trains. That's not really the sort of environment that is attractive (or necessarily even safe) for cruise passengers to be wandering around in. So quite a lot of money would have to be spent to transform it - or build an entirely separate station on the side.

Palmetto

Conductor
The port spur just brushes the elevated northeast corner of the station complex at street level. A street level platform, therefore, would have to be built if someone wanted to get off a port-bound train at MiamiCentral. At the port, I think the railroad and the stations would be need to be elevated, with a new section of track built off the FEC spur. I don't know if it's worth it.

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
The port spur just brushes the elevated northeast corner of the station complex at street level. A street level platform, therefore, would have to be built if someone wanted to get off a port-bound train at MiamiCentral. At the port, I think the railroad and the stations would be need to be elevated, with a new section of track built off the FEC spur. I don't know if it's worth it.
Just does not seem to be worth it. The port service will at best be a few trains a day, and they are likely to be dedicated to specific set of ships.
Doesn't it actually pass under one corner of the Miami Central complex, or at least the approach viaduct. So it would hypothetically be possible to put in a platform there and link that to the rest of the station by some form of covered walkway or airport style travellator - or if you don't mind going low-tech, just do a backup move.
This is a prime example of a railroad fan fantasy which has no basis in any business justification whatsoever. I have had a brief conversation with Patrick Goddard about this and, well all I can say is keep on dreamin' ;) The port thing is intended to be a low investment side project which brings in some extra revenue, and building elaborate structures for it is inconsistent with the strategy.

Last edited: