Waiting in Salt Lake City

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time on Amtrak and looking to travel from Salt Lake City to Denver at the end of the month. It doesn’t look like there is much of a station there. At that early hour of the day, what should we do when the train is inevitably late? Should we just track the train closely and get an Uber ride there from our hotel at the appropriate time? Do people normally just wait around until the train arrives?

You're absolutely right that the station building isn't an enjoyable place to wait. It's a ground level portable with cramped seating, with more people than seats on my last trip through.

If weather is nice, there are lots of places to sit outside. The planters around the trees are all seats. Still, it's only a short ride from downtown so I'd try to time it based off of the train's estimated arrival. Here is a Google Streetview where you can see the Amtrak waiting room in the back with outside seating in front of it. This station is also a light rail and commuter rail stop.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-08 142847.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-08 142847.png
    548 KB · Views: 27
When I traveled from SLC eastbound, we waited in the lobby of our hotel until about an hour or so of the arrival of the train. The hotel shuttle took us to the station. We still had an uncomfortable wait at the station, but the longer wait was more comfortable. If I did it again, I may have tried to keep my room for an extra night.

You're absolutely right that the station building isn't an enjoyable place to wait. It's a ground level portable with cramped seating, with more people than seats on my last trip through.

If weather is nice, there are lots of places to sit outside. The planters around the trees are all seats. Still, it's only a short ride from downtown so I'd try to time it based off of the train's estimated arrival. Here is a Google Streetview where you can see the Amtrak waiting room in the back with outside seating in front of it. This station is also a light rail and commuter rail stop.

Any idea how easy it is to get transportation to the station at 3 am?

Back