Wandering during stops - reasonably!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months back, I took the Vermonter up to Essex Junction with a couple of friends for a ski trip. On the way back, we had a 45 minute layover at Penn Station. That gave us plenty of time to get out of the station and find a pizzeria for a couple of authentic NY slices about a block away. We got back even before they started boarding the NYP passengers.

I've only ever gotten off the train at a stop in WAS. Even if that train is running late, the engine switch takes a certain amount of time and they will announce before the power goes out that it'll be a shortened stop so stay on the platform and don't go up into the station. But they don't leave the second the Diesel is attached, so I know that if I reboard within a minute of the engine switch I'll be fine.

Years ago I was on the Palmetto going to Florence SC. I was half awake when we got to Fayetteville and I went inside the station figuring we just got there. Actually we arrived ten minutes before and when I walked out to the train it was moving! Everything I had was on the train. I called Amtrak told them the situation and where my stuff was. I walked to the Greyhound station took a bus to Florence five miles from the Amtrak station and took a cab to hopefully retrieve my belongings. They were there. My hotel was a few blocks from the train station. Lesson learned. Always be aware of your surroundings and never leave the platform if you have only a few minutes

I've only ever gotten off the train at a stop in WAS. Even if that train is running late, the engine switch takes a certain amount of time and they will announce before the power goes out that it'll be a shortened stop so stay on the platform and don't go up into the station. But they don't leave the second the Diesel is attached, so I know that if I reboard within a minute of the engine switch I'll be fine.
Yeah. Engine switches are the safest stops since you know the train isn't going anywhere without a loco. When I was on the LSL (eastbound) in February, we pulled into Albany a few hours late, and though I normally wouldn't hop off when behind schedule, in that case I knew I had time to stretch my legs on the platform. Since they have to detach the Boston section and attach a P32, there's always a fair bit of time to walk around the platform. If you're aware of your surroundings, and understand what needs to happen to the train at the given stop, you'll almost always be fine.

I get off during the service stops even when the train is late, but stay close since I have been surprised a few times with how quickly the work get completed. When the train is late some crews manage to get the train on its way faster than passengers expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back