WAS-CHI 1 zone or two?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceo418

Train Attendant
I know this topic may be covered somewhere else, but after looking at the zone map I think I've determined that redeeming points from WAS-CHI on the Capitol Limited would mean a 2-zone redemption. Am I correct in that thinking? Thanks!

This would be so much simpler if the zones were to be replaced by mileage buckets.

0-999 miles = x points

999-1999 miles = 2x points

Etc, etc.

It's still an ugly step function, but it's better than the current system where a <100 mile trip can be a 2 zone trip and you can get one zoners for 10 times the distance.

This would be so much simpler if the zones were to be replaced by mileage buckets.
0-999 miles = x points

Etc, etc.

It's still an ugly step function, but it's better than the current system where a <100 mile trip can be a 2 zone trip and you can get one zoners for 10 times the distance.
Sorry to Disagree Ryan, but Most of us that Live out in Fly Over Country where the Miles are Long and the LD Trains Few, Prefer the Current Method! I personally like to be able to go from Austin to WPT on a 2 Zone Award (5 Days/4 Nights) or to Miami via CHI and WAS (4 Days/3 Nights) for the Same Amount fo Points!! !! (Of course the Old Slidell and Columbus Loophole Trips were even Better! RIP!!! :( )

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual, where you stand on this issue depends on where you sit. I think that it's more or less fair that it costs me the same number of points to go from St. Paul to Washington as it does to go MSP-LAX.

In any case, I think that a much simpler AGR system would be based not on mileage, but on ticket price. Say that each AGR point is worth so many cents, and then it's an easy math problem. It also would allow elimination of black-out days, which as written mostly make sense for the NEC (Columbus Day a busy travel day? Really?), since passengers would have to pay more points to travel on a busier day.

Now, this would be completely against my interests, since most of my AGR travel revolves around arbitrage with zone borders and agents who have unusual interpretations of award costs, but it would be much simpler, and would better reflect the scarcity of available seats.

Actually, yes. Columbus Day is a very big travel day in the NEC, with lots of folks returning from extended weekend visits on that federal holiday -- also a holiday in some states.

0-999 miles = x points

Etc, etc.

But that would make most of my AGR trips about 25 zones! :giggle:

One of the best things about AGR, imo, is that you don't have to worry about bucket prices. If awards were based on the price of tickets, that advantage would disappear. So I would not want awards based on ticket prices. (And I want to redeem for the CZ which is a very expensive ticket!)

Different people would benefit from different methods. I say leave it like it is, but do publish a map again that includes city names. :)

Actually, yes. Columbus Day is a very big travel day in the NEC, with lots of folks returning from extended weekend visits on that federal holiday -- also a holiday in some states.
I don't dispute that. But considering that I work a few dozen feet from an enormous bronze statue of Leif Erikson (complete with winged helmet, no less) I have difficulty seeing why AGR has this as a national blackout day.

And why does Rhode Island still "celebrate" Victory Day (formerly known by most as VJ Day)? The only reason I can think of is that the state's employees want a paid day off to go shopping or to the beach in summer! :wacko:

I was a federal employee when I first moved to RI and saw August (I think) xx was a holiday schedule for the bus. I had to ask co-workers why that was. So because RI "celebrates", I had to drive 40 miles or so to work. Just because it was a "holiday", and the first bus in to work would not arrive until about noon! :angry:

[End rant]

I love having off on Victory Day - although I do feel kind of guilty about it.

It doesn't make any sense that the LSL or the CL redemption is a two zoner when it is a significantly shorter trip than one zones like BOS - MIA or LA - SEA. It is frustrating for those of us in the Northeast that we have to do two zones to get to CHI. But oh well, it is what it is. I do think the idea of a redemption being based on miles could work or perhaps length of trip.

I don't dispute that. But considering that I work a few dozen feet from an enormous bronze statue of Leif Erikson (complete with winged helmet, no less) I have difficulty seeing why AGR has this as a national blackout day.
Based on the "maximizing revenue" theory, I think that sellers of services (like Amtrak) decide not to give away a service for free if they are quite confident (based on prior experience?) that they can sell most, if not all, of their service on that particular day or days. It looks to me like that date chosen for AGR Award blackout in October is the Friday before Columbus Day. And while that day may not be a big Amtrak travel day in many parts of the country, it must be a big travel day in areas that contribute a very high fraction of Amtrak revenues overall. I am assuming that this applies to the NEC. So, unless Amtrak decides to install region-specific blackout dates (not likely, in my opinion), they will just black out that Friday-before-Columbus-Day for all AGR travel. They have also implemented such blacks on dates AROUND (although not necessarily ON) other national holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, Independence Day, Memorial Day, Easter, and Presidents Day.

It may be that the current AGR system is skewed towards the large population on the East Coast. If the majority of AGR customers are East coast travelers they head into two zone trips West rather quickly. This aids in having East coast travelers use their points faster and on shorter trips. This provides a financial benefit to Amtrak. Amtrak would rather do this than give out the occasional EB or CZ trip from CHI.

Back