Washington Post "Amtrak still on Track at 50!"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But not wrong.

(I'm sorry, the idea that Amtrak is "still on track" after the last year makes me cringe. In particular, I'm hearing that we're likely to not get a batch of state trains back anytime soon, there was the horrible 3x/week mess this past year which was in turn executed in a way that seems closer to "intentionally malicious" than "utterly incompetent", and predating that was pulling diner service on the eastern LD trains [which I might have cut some slack if it had been during the pandemic...but no, it was pre-pandemic].)

Given recent history, the title (at least) makes me think the author is deluded.
Au contraire, the title I think is very apropos. Considering that the original perpetrators of Amtrak had in their mind an outfit that would fade away into nothing within five years, the fact that it is still "on track" 50 years later and even if in a bit tattered shape, still more or less a viable mode of transportation except perhaps for the most discerning rail transport connoisseurs, makes the title quite appropriate.

Back