Wastewater from trains: where does it go?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Oreius

OBS Chief
One thing I’ve noticed is the “odor” between Amfleets and Viewliners. When on an Amfleet, I never have experienced unpleasant smells from the bathrooms. However, I can always tell when someone does No. 2 in the Roomettes of a Viewliner. In the Bedroom, there was no odors. I found it strange. It might be because the Bedrooms are on one side of the car, and are not close together like Roomettes. Also, vacuum toilets do generate a breeze when flushed—even with the lid down..

I hope I’m not being too “descriptive.” I’ve been obsessed with toilets and the humor around them since I was a little boy. It’s always PG or better; I never get explicit…

Last edited:

Cal

Foamer
and you can tell whether you are in a Superliner I or II simply by visiting the toilet?
Yeah, the Superliner I toilets were refurbished with more room. I'm sure it just slipped your mind

jis

Engineer
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
Yeah, the Superliner I toilets were refurbished with more room. I'm sure it just slipped your mind
Well I was talking about whether the commodes were something other than vacuum on Superliner Is, not the rest of the toilet. Those have been different between the two types of Superliners. Also, apparently all Superliner I toilets were not upgraded.

Reactions: Cal

Cal

Foamer
Well I was talking about whether the commodes were something other than vacuum on Superliner Is, not the rest of the toilet. Those have been different between the two types of Superliners. Also, apparently all Superliner I toilets were not upgraded.
Gotchya.

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer
On one of my Texas Eagle runs, when I boarded Southbound at FTW, my attendant said the upstairs john was out of order and to use the downstairs ones. No problem. At SAS, I got off for a while, and when I got back on, as I rounded the top of the stairs, the stool was in the corridor and a maintenance worker was snaking the hole. About the time I peeked in, he got a "bite" and when he reeled in, started on a tirade about certain women's products. So it seems like they don't have unlimited flushing power and those signs posted about not flushing certain items are gospel.