Ways to Improve Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseAndy

Lead Service Attendant
Apologies if this has already been discussed I did search but couldn't find a thread on this.

Im trying to get my head around why anyone would pay for Business Class on some long distance journeys as it seems like rather poor value for money and what Amtrak could do to improve the perception and the demand for business class on long distance services without having to spend money it doesn't have.

For example unless I'm mistaken currently BC doesn't include access to a shower, isn't this something which could be offered or is the showers in the sleepers already at full capacity?

I suspect the business class on LD trains is aimed at those who take those train short distances, like half or whole day trips.

I suspect the business class on LD trains is aimed at those who take those train short distances, like half or whole day trips.
But if I had a 3 or 4 hour train trip to get to an important event I'd be tempted to pay a little extra so I can freshen up before I arrive, and I'm sure many others would as well.

But if I had a 3 or 4 hour train trip to get to an important event I'd be tempted to pay a little extra so I can freshen up before I arrive, and I'm sure many others would as well.
If you drove or flew for 3-4 hours, would you expect to freshen up - in a shower - before an important event? I'd take my shower before leaving the house and then, maybe, use wet wipes or wet paper towels to freshen up in a bathroom at or near the event.

If you drove or flew for 3-4 hours, would you expect to freshen up - in a shower - before an important event? I'd take my shower before leaving the house and then, maybe, use wet wipes or wet paper towels to freshen up in a bathroom at or near the event.
Well actually yes - and people do pay for this in the UK. In nearly every Motorway service station and many mainline train stations and airports you will find shower cubicles available to do just this.

​Amtrak could go 1 better then this and actually allow its riders to take a shower on board before they get to their destination so saving time.

​I'm sure there is plenty of other Value Added Products Amtrak could offer to increase the perceived value of BC

For me the number one issue with Amtrak's Business Class is that I rarely know what I'm going to get until I'm already on board. Sometimes it seems like a good deal while other times it seems no different than coach but with a higher price. I don't necessarily need or want Business Class to be identical everywhere across the network, but having a well defined and consistent standard for each route and corridor would help to clarify the sales pitch and possibly sell me on an upgrade. Otherwise I end up assuming it's not worth the trouble unless someone proactively recommends it thanks to a recent trip of their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
DA, you beat me to it....I was just going to write something similar.

On a four-hour Northeast Regional trip, I board, find my own seat, and receive nothing except a free cup of coffee. The conductor scans my ticket, but there is no attendant on board. The only reason to take Business Class is to avoid the nightmare of coach on the congested Northeast Corridor--it's the only way to guarantee I will have a seat.

But on a trip that was less than an hour, from Fredericksburg to Alexandria on the Carolinian in Business Class, I was given an assigned seat and a pillow, then offered a newspaper (a real one) and asked what I would like to drink and also would I like a snack? All offered as if I would be on there for hours, and not just a short trip.

I think the shower would be just one more thing to get filthy and disgusting, along with the bathrooms. I would definitely wait to get to my hotel for that.

First of all, you assume that Amtrak cares about improving the standards, consistency, and amenities that Business Class offers above those paying coach.

An older restaurateur told me a long time ago, (when discussing why he doesn't use coupons), "Why give away something for free, when you have all the business you can handle already?"

I posit that Amtrak's Business Class, which costs Amtrak virtually nothing now, (no increased labor, minimal food/bev costs, zero on ticketing, etc.) is almost all bottom-line extra revenue. I know that I had originally booked six tickets as BC from Savannah to BWI. But after taking the Palmetto a few weeks ago, and looking at what BC got me, vs. coach, I downgraded the minute I got home. (Saved over $300)

Now a few things influenced my decision:

• We were starting our trip in the train's origin (Savannah) so there is a better than even shot that we will get seated together, (provided we are on time for boarding).
  • We will be directed to sit in a "longs" coach, (those traveling longer distance)
  • Other than a warm soda or coffee/tea, there is no other amenity provided in BC on this train.
  • The "longs" seating config in the Amfleet II, has more than ample foot room and recline pitch for a 12 hour day trip.
What would have influenced me to keep my BC tickets?

• Perhaps a cocktail or adult beverage with each ticket.
  • 2-1 seating, I'm a sucker for that.
  • A separate f/s car, or even half of a full Amdinette, dedicated to BC
  • If I'd been boarding at any point other than the originating station. I would have felt I'd had a better shot of seating together, but it's not always the case anyway.
But, BC often sells out, with none of the above added amenities, so Amtrak is following what that old restaurateur friend of mine asked: "Why give away something for free, when you have all the business you can handle already?"

Amtrak at least seems to be thinking in the right direction, at least on the CS. I would seriously consider BC on the CS, if I had access to lounges and the PPC. (more than just wine tasting) It's pretty simple economics though. I just wish that BC would be standardized, so one could know what to expect.

But hey, in a couple more decades I'll be worm food, so it don't really matter, int the great scheme of things.

rrdude--

I think you made a wise choice--I see the Palmetto often now that it is stopping at PJC (where I get off my commuter train around the same time), and it looks like Business Class is an Amfleet I, which makes absolutely no sense. Was that what it was when you took it?

First of all, you assume that Amtrak cares about improving the standards, consistency, and amenities that Business Class offers above those paying coach.
You're probably right but wouldn't it be possible to charge more for Business Class if the difference was substantially improved over coach and clearly defined at booking time?

For me the number one issue with Amtrak's Business Class is that I rarely know what I'm going to get until I'm already on board. Sometimes it seems like a good deal while other times it seems no different than coach but with a higher price. I don't necessarily need or want Business Class to be identical everywhere across the network, but having a well defined and consistent standard for each route and corridor would help to clarify the sales pitch and possibly sell me on an upgrade. Otherwise I end up assuming it's not worth the trouble unless someone proactively recommends it thanks to a recent trip of their own.
With 2 exceptions (at least in the east, with which I am more familiar), you do get something better than coach. The two exceptions are the Pennsylvanian and the Palmetto.

Other trains are as follows:

NE regionals, BC seat is ~50 in pitch as opposed to the 39 inch pitch in coach, as well as there being curtains to shade your eyes from sun glare or station lights, very important if you're taking 66/67 and ant to sleep. Oh yes, and you get a free drink, for what it's worth, but at least the drinks are full size now, and presumably the ice is also included.

Vermonter/Empire Service/Downeaster has the 2 x 1 club car seating. 50 in seat pitch vs 39 in coach, as well as curtains, and, of course, free non alcoholic drinks.

Carolinian (which is longest ride one can take in an Amfleet I coach, if you ride from end to end) has 50 inch pitch Amfleet I BC (in other words, it's basically a Northeast Regional BC with a car attendant.)

In all of these cases, you get more legroom and a less crowded car (most of the time), which increases the single traveler's chance of not having to deal with a seatmate.

The real marginal value propositions are the Pennsylvanian and the Palmetto, because the physical layout of the Amfleet I BC car is more or less the same as that of the Amfleet 2 LD coach. (Same 50 in seat pitch, same curtains on the windows.) What you're really paying for is an increased chance that the BC car will be less crowded, and thus you don't have to have a seatmate. If you're traveling with someone, well, that's not much of an advantage. I ride BC on the Palmetto, at least on Saturdays, the coach section gets pretty filled up by Florence, whereas in BC, it's nice and quiet all the way north. Well, I'm taking it on Saturday, I hope I don't have to eat my words. :)

Oh yes, and you get a 25% TQP bonus on your AGR points.

What would have influenced me to keep my BC tickets?

• Perhaps a cocktail or adult beverage with each ticket.
  • 2-1 seating, I'm a sucker for that.
  • A separate f/s car, or even half of a full Amdinette, dedicated to BC
  • If I'd been boarding at any point other than the originating station. I would have felt I'd had a better shot of seating together, but it's not always the case anyway.
Yes, the Palmetto experience would definitely be enhanced by 2 x 1 seating, and a car attendant. Full meal service would be nice, even if you had to pay extra for it. But then, that's the day train that cries out for a dining car. That, the Carolinian, and the Vermonter, and maybe the Pennsylvanian.

I think any BC other than Acela BC (which is a class unto itself anyway) perhaps, that is not 2x1, should just be called Premium Coach or something like that, and have a fare premium lower than that for full level BC. While it would be nice if it could, it is unlikely that at present Amtrak can find the cash to equip 25 or 50 cars with the old Metroliner Club seats.

Regards showers on the train as opposed to in a station or at an airport:

There is a limited amount of space on a train car for storing the fresh water for showers.

On Amtrak trains the water that goes down the shower drain is not captured.

The showers, and sinks, drain out the bottom of the cars onto the tracks.

IIRC it wasn't until the early 70's that toilet waste was captured in holding tanks in lieu of flushing onto the tracks.

Regards showers on the train as opposed to in a station or at an airport:

There is a limited amount of space on a train car for storing the fresh water for showers.

On Amtrak trains the water that goes down the shower drain is not captured.

The showers, and sinks, drain out the bottom of the cars onto the tracks.

IIRC it wasn't until the early 70's that toilet waste was captured in holding tanks in lieu of flushing onto the tracks.
Amtrak had an exemption for the heritage sleepers in use up till the early '00's

The showers are already on long distance trains in the sleepers arent they for use by the roomette passengers could be made available to BC customers couldnt they?

The showers are already on long distance trains in the sleepers arent they for use by the roomette passengers could be made available to BC customers couldnt they?
NO! If you want a shower, get a sleeper. Why should sleeper passengers have to wait for a car full of business class passengers. One of the perks of paying for a sleeper is having a shower. Why dilute the sleeping car experience to sell more business class? During busy times, there already is a wait for the shower in the sleeper. Last thing it needs is more people in line to use it or even worse running out of water.

seat38a--

Your question "Why dilute the sleeping car experience to sell more business class?" started me thinking about why Amtrak is pushing its current business class (on the Northeast Regionals, for example) and adding business class to the long-distance trains and pushing it there.

As with many things Amtrak, I'm wondering if they are trying to lower the quality by pretending to make it better.

First, "Look, we are giving you a business class option on the long-distance trains!"

Then, "With the business class on a long trip, you don't really need a sleeper now, do you? Why on earth do you need to sleep flat in a tiny room when you can be next to a total stranger and sitting up uncomfortably?"

I still think Amtrak is trying to get rid of any sleepers and dining cars it has left, especially since they say they're not.

Full disclosure: I am not someone who looks for hidden agendas. Except when it comes to Amtrak--they've tried to fool us too many times!

seat38a--

Your question "Why dilute the sleeping car experience to sell more business class?" started me thinking about why Amtrak is pushing its current business class (on the Northeast Regionals, for example) and adding business class to the long-distance trains and pushing it there.

As with many things Amtrak, I'm wondering if they are trying to lower the quality by pretending to make it better.

First, "Look, we are giving you a business class option on the long-distance trains!"

Then, "With the business class on a long trip, you don't really need a sleeper now, do you? Why on earth do you need to sleep flat in a tiny room when you can be next to a total stranger and sitting up uncomfortably?"

I still think Amtrak is trying to get rid of any sleepers and dining cars it has left, especially since they say they're not.

Full disclosure: I am not someone who looks for hidden agendas. Except when it comes to Amtrak--they've tried to fool us too many times!
Well, that would be silly on the east coast since they have new sleepers and diners coming out .... some day.

Back