WB Capitol Limited very late into Pittsburgh

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting on the WB Capitol Limited in Pittsburgh. For much of the run from DC it had an ETA of about 14 minutes off the advertised, about 12:06. Agent even announced we would be going upstairs at midnight. Checked track a train and it was sitting at 0 in a yard several miles east of the station for an hour. Agent says police activity. Now we're looking at least a 2 hour delay and getting nervous about my 2:15 Empire Builder given that we know the worst delays are on the NS. Can't wait to find out what that police activity is all about. Better be good enough for Dateline NBC!

Edit: arrived 3 hours late.

Last edited:
Do a Google for Pittsburgh TV stations and then go to their respective web sites. Unless it's something fairly minor, the local news web sites will report whatever happened as the 'big bad train' was involved, not necessarily the Cap.

Do a Google for Pittsburgh TV stations and then go to their respective web sites. Unless it's something fairly minor, the local news web sites will report whatever happened as the 'big bad train' was involved, not necessarily the Cap.

I did that and found nothing. However the SCA said there was a "police standoff" in a town called West Newton, unrelated to Amtrak but he didn't have detail on why it affected the train. If it was that big of a deal, surprised the tabloid TV stations in Pittsburgh didn't pick up on it.
We'll be at least 3 hours late into Chicago.

I did that and found nothing. However the SCA said there was a "police standoff" in a town called West Newton, unrelated to Amtrak but he didn't have detail on why it affected the train. If it was that big of a deal, surprised the tabloid TV stations in Pittsburgh didn't pick up on it.
We'll be at least 3 hours late into Chicago.

If the police are worried that a suspect may enter the right-of-way, the train dispatcher usually shuts down the railroad for the safety of the all involved.

Hope you have a good rest of your trip!

Back