wb CZ cancelled June 19

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crescent2

Conductor
I was playing around on amtrak.com since the AGR redemption guidelines are now published. :)

Picked a date at random and found the westbound CZ from Denver shows cancelled for Wed., June 19.

Are cancellations of the CZ common in June?

Is the cancellation due to scheduled track work or to something else?

I did not check any other dates. Just curious and thinking ahead to next year's trip. Thanks~

There's a bus bridge from Reno to Emeryville due to track work in the Seirra Nevadas. This may affect how the website displays it's info

Where are AGR redemption guidelines published?

Last edited by a moderator:
Track work? Is this unusual? Thanks
No. The tracks need to be kept in good condition and summer is the best time to do it. Though I suspect most track work can be done in a way not to affect Amtrak trains.

There's another thread discussing this particular track work and how it affects the CZ.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's on the AGR forum, where someone posted a link this morning. It's on the AGR website, under Redeem, I believe. On first glance, the guidelines look reasonable to me, but I'm not experienced using AGR. Take a look and let us know what you think!

Yeah, AmtrakBlue said it was also cancelled out of Chicago. I personally didn't check that segment, though.

I thought track work usually resulted in bustitutions, so I wondered if the cancellation was for some other reason. It's all hypothetical for me, though! I was just playing around with what would pop up on Arrow after I read the new AGR guidelines. :) Thanks

Yeah, AmtrakBlue said it was also cancelled out of Chicago.
He/she did say that, but you can't believe everything you read on the interwebs. It is easy to check this on amtrak.com. It is NOT canceled on the 18th from CHI or 19th from DEN, unless you are going all the way.

I cannot explain the differing results we are apparently getting from amtrak.com. However, when I checked this morning, it definitely showed cancelled (big red "Cancelled") from DEN to DAV for June 19. That and the CS from DAV-LAX were all that I checked. As I said, I did not check from Chicago, and amtrak.com (Arrow) was where I checked it. I had no reason to think Amtrak Blue was mistaken; she's a regular here and usually well informed and dependable. It was all hypothetical for me anyway, so I did not check behind her.

Yes, someone posted this quote (or something very similar) in another thread not so long ago:

The trouble with the internet is that you are never sure of the source. ~Thomas Jefferson

Thanks!

Why am I feeling like a kindergartener today?? :blush:

Well yes. If you check the section that's out of service, it'll say "cancelled". That's code for "we're bustituting a part of that segment so we're not selling any more tickets".

I used the app. Perhaps I didn't have "anytime" selected though the time shouldn't have matter because it was before noon that I checked. At that time only the SWC. Just checked again and it showed both trains (CHI to DEN)

Crescent2, I just checked the app & see #5 direct as cancelled but also see the multi-segment with the bustitution as available.

I still see it posted for all the dates... You just take train 5 to RNO and Bus 3005 from RNO to EMY (or your destination). Same the other direction. Take Bus 3006 to RNO and then train 6 to the final destination... You can still book the train between the normal destinations using the train/bus... Unless I'm missing something?

I don't think you're missing anything, I'm seeing the same thing.

DEN_EMY_bus.png

Well yes. If you check the section that's out of service, it'll say "cancelled". That's code for "we're bustituting a part of that segment so we're not selling any more tickets".
Thanks! It's interesting to know that a bustituted train can show as canceled. That wouldn't be likely to ever cause a problem for me, because I'm a sightseeing passenger (not needing to actually be at point B) and wouldn't want to book a bustitution. (Well, at least for the Western trains.)

I'm pretty sure the screen I got wasn't exactly like your screen shot, though. I don't recall seeing the choice that showed the bus from Reno below the canceled CZ. I had used Multicity, and I'm fairly certain that what showed immediately below it were the choices for DAV-LAX. (I think the SJ included a bus, but that wasn't the CZ of course.) I don't recall seeing Reno at all. I could be mistaken, though, because I was just playing around on the site.

ABlue: I'm sure I had "any time" of day checked. Also, I did not see the SWC at all. (But I was checking for Multicity: DEN-DAV, DAV-LAX).

Maybe that's my difference?

Wait. R3313 and Ryan, now I'm sure I didn't get the screen Ryan's screen shot shows, because I only entered DAV, not EMY. So I wouldn't have seen the RNO-EMY thing.

Anyway, much ado about nothing, 'cause unfortunately I'm not gonna be on that train anytime soon! :(

I don't think you're missing anything, I'm seeing the same thing.
DEN_EMY_bus.png
7.5 hours from Reno to Emeryville is a long, LONG time. And, since #5 does not board any new passengers west of Roseville, and the bus can get to Roseville far faster than the train (even with what will likely be extended dwell times in Truckee and Colfax), I suspect that the bus may sit for a very long time in Roseville for its standard departure time, before continuing to its other stops. An arrival in Emeryville could be as much as an hour early.

I just checked and it also showed up on the Multi-City... just picture the screen shot above except instead of EMY it shows DAV at 2:44pm on Bus 3005. It may have not been fully entered in the system when you checked or all the combinations might not have been entered. I know the buses were entered for a few weeks now, however I only checked from EMY-RNO and not from intermediate points until now so it may have been added (or fixed) later on.

As for now though, everything I check has Train 5 connecting to Bus 3005 and Bus 3006 connecting to train 6. :)

Thanks! All a moot point for me, unfortunately, anyway.

While we're on the subject, is May a safer time for avoiding bustitutions, cancellations, etc. on the westbound CZ out of Denver?

Thanks! All a moot point for me, unfortunately, anyway.
While we're on the subject, is May a safer time for avoiding bustitutions, cancellations, etc. on the westbound CZ out of Denver?
Bustitutions on the CZ are less likely in May than in summer months, as the types of work requiring closing a segment to train traffic typically occur in summer months. That said, you may find DELAYS on the CZ through Colorado more likely in April and May then other months because of the higher probability of rock slides in canyons during the spring snowmelt period.

What months are best for avoiding bustitutions, cancelations, and severe delays, or for any other reasons? I'm hoping to do my trip next year and can choose the time to go. It will be solely for the scenery and train rides. Thanks

Anything can happen anytime, so you really can't predict the "best time". In 2011 as I was anticapating my Nov 2011 w/b trip on the CZ, the CZ was dealing with a fatal crash (conductor was killed along with ?? others), flooding, farm equipment (or was this one in 2012?), etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back