wb CZ: least risk of detour or other surprises

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crescent2

Conductor
I need to stop procrastinating and book the wb CZ from Denver. Which time of year within the next 11 months is least likely to have a detour, bustituion, cancellation, etc.? I'd be taking this trip solely for the scenery and train ride and would like to minimize the chances of an unpleasant surprise. Thanks

Colorado tracks are clearest in Oct and Nov, in my opinion. Rock slides are most common in spring, UP track maintenance most common in summer. The odd super-heavy snowstorm or bitter cold could produce snowslides or broken rails in winter.

I think Chakk is right and that October and November are the months unlikeliest to see problems on the CZ tracks.

I'll be taking the Zephyr Chicago to Emeryville in just a few days. This is my favorite time.....still lots of daylight and summer rush is over

Checking ASMAD indicates that the CZ is most often late during the summer months - usually about 5 hours late to EMY. It looks like it has been a lot better during the past month - does UP do more trackwork in June or July rather than August, or was this just random?

I saw an article about summer flooding in the midwest back in 2011 and again this summer that caused problems for the Zephyr, and what appears to be 3 cancellations (ASMAD lists "PT", which I assume means a cancellation) in July. Is this common for the Zephyr? I guess we'll see what kind of winter / spring we have this year...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back