Wedding Ceremony in Grand Central Terminal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(I'm hoping this is the correct forum to post this!)
Does anyone know if I can get married in Grand Central Terminal? I don't want to "host" a wedding there. My fiancé and I just want to stand in the middle of the terminal surrounded by forty or so loved ones, perform a five to seven minute ceremony, take a few photos, then leave.

This MTA document seems to answer your question. In particular, section 1085.4(d) governs noncommercial activities at Grand Central. There's a requirement for a permit, to be applied for
at the general superintendent's office in Grand Central terminal between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

I have been in Grand Central Terminal and seen what appeared to be a fairly large wedding party. I think I took photos (at a distance). 👰

TheSueSaga, congratulations. Since nobody wants a bunch of foamers at their wedding, tell everyone they can only come if they arrive on Amtrak LD trains. After all, you don't want a bunch of people facing the away from you and making remarks during the ceremony about the cool Metro-North engine they just saw.
LD trains only? I guess that leaves out all of the NEC/Acela riders in these parts.

Neroden , Metro North owns the rail levels but not the terminal .
Still not correct. The MTA owns the terminal. Land, buildngs, everything. Only since 2020, when they bought it from Midtown TDR Ventures along with the Harlem and Hudson Lines.

I do not think the MTA specifically assigned most of the terminal to its Metro-North subsidiary; I believe large portions of it are operated by its MTA Real Estate subsidiary, instead, and leased out. (See, for example, this RFP -- https://www.grandcentralterminal.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/RFP-FINAL11_19.pdf )

(The one thing they don't own: MTA does *not* own the air rights associated with GCT, which were retained by Midtown TDR.)

I have been in contact with the MTA and this was their response:
"We don't accommodate ceremonies of any kind within the general public areas of the terminal. But I recommend you reach out to Cipriani Dolce and see if they can accommodate your quick ceremony within their space, which overlooks the Main Concourse. If you decide to proceed with the restaurant and want to take wedding photos afterwards in the general public areas, the photo permit is something I can assist you with.
Permits are issued for up to a 3-hr time slot, no more than two months and no less than a week in advance of the requested date, on a first-come-first-served basis. In order to avoid the rush hours, on week days you are limited to a time between 10 AM and 3 PM (10 AM and 1 PM on Fridays in the summer) or after 8 PM. Weekends have no official rush, so time is more flexible. Please note as this is an active train terminal, there are black-out periods where no permits can be issued. Note, you will not be allowed on any staircases, landings, or anywhere beyond the train gates."

You can rent out the terminal entrance, Vanderbilt Hall, for all types of events, just not weddings. Cipriani Dolce won't accommodate weddings with more than ten guests. And the Grand Central Oyster Bar is a little rich for our budget, at $127 per person for a buffet style meal.

It seems genuinely strange that they would restrict Vanderbilt Hall rentals to "anything but weddings". That makes no sense whatsoever. I mean, I guess I could rent it for a commitment ceremony ?!?! An anniversary? A funeral? Excluding weddings makes no sense for that room.
I was surprised by that as well. Most venues love weddings because they can mark up everything.

Back