Welcome View of TSA Administrator on Security for Rail Passengers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Airport-like security screenings are not necessary for Amtrak or other rail travel, the new head of the Transportation Security Administration said Wednesday, speaking a day after eight people were killed in a truck attack in Lower Manhattan.

“We don‘t intend to roll out anything like what we have in the airports,” TSA Administrator David Pekoske told reporters at Grand Central Terminal. “We are satisfied at his point.”

The full report at...

https://stockdailydish.com/tsa-administrator-no-need-for-airport-like-security-for-rail-travel/

A "continuous vetting process" for those of us enrolled in TSA Pre-Check is something of which I was unaware. Good to know, personally, that I must still be considered a "no risk passenger".

A "continuous vetting process" for those of us enrolled in TSA Pre-Check is something of which I was unaware. Good to know, personally, that I must still be considered a "no risk passenger".
I don't know the exact rules for TSA-Pre, but as a Global Entry member I have to re-register (i.e. at notionally get vetted again) every five years. My third registration is coming up next year since I am close to completing ten years as a member.

I don't know the exact rules for TSA-Pre, but as a Global Entry member I have to re-register (i.e. at notionally get vetted again) every five years. My third registration is coming up next year since I am close to completing ten years as a member.

My TSA Pre-Check will expire in a couple of years and I will probably apply for Global Entry. No such possibility to do so exists in Dayton. Will have to drive to either Cincinnati or Columbus (I think) to do so.

Incidentally, speaking of Fourth Amendment issues, this also happened earlier today, kudos to ACLU ....

Federal Court Rules Suspicionless Searches of Travelers’ Phones and Laptops Unconstitutional
Government Must Have Reasonable Suspicion of Digital Contraband Before Searching People’s Electronic Devices at the U.S. Border

Full article here...

https://www.eff.org/press/releases/...ionless-searches-travelers-phones-and-laptops

This is a popular thing among border guards in Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan I am told.

My TSA Pre-Check will expire in a couple of years and I will probably apply for Global Entry. No such possibility to do so exists in Dayton. Will have to drive to either Cincinnati or Columbus (I think) to do so.
You can apply and submit documentation on line. But you have to schedule an interview at a TSA Registration Center, typically at an international airport. I believe for first time applicants it has to be a pre-scheduled appointment for the interview. For subsequent registrations if you get a pre-approval through their web site, you can just drop in at any center for the interview without a prior appointment.

I'm actually leaning in the opposite direction. Now that Customs & Immigration is a mostly automated affair it's less of an issue time wise. Global Entry comes with both good and bad aspects and getting approved is just the first part. Yes it's faster but if you're among first people through the scrum for that shift you can end up with a special service card. Maybe you'll be a guinea pig for a new process or handed over to a new trainee or asked to complete a questionnaire. If you check any luggage then you'll be staring at an empty carousel instead of waiting for someone to stamp you in. If you do get flagged and are found with anything (like fruit or snacks from the plane) you can lose all benefits permanently and without any refund. All the C&I agencies talk to each other so if you make a mistake in another country it will void your status at home.

I've got Nexus. At least if I can avoid checking bags...well, I'll use my last trip to Canada as an example:
-Outbound, at YUL: I scanned my card and headed more-or-less right out the door. No human interaction.
-Return, at Rouses Point on the Adirondack: I woke up (I'd dozed off on the flight), handed my card to the CBP agent with my passport. He asked me if I'd been partying hard, but otherwise no interaction to speak of. Sure beats the old game of 20 Questions.

I've got Nexus. At least if I can avoid checking bags...well, I'll use my last trip to Canada as an example:

I've found NEXUS to be more helpful going into Canada than returning to the US. Granted, I've only used the US side of it in ground mode, and the couple of times I didn't have it the screening was pretty routine anyways. On the Canadian side, I find it saves quite a bit of questioning, especially when traveling alone. The airport mode is easiest, though. (Of course, the TSA Pre benefits are a huge benefit and make travel much easier domestically within the US.)

NPR was a quality resource back in the days of Bob Edwards. Back before it was permanently neutered by threats of defunding for showing too many signs of objective reporting and journalistic integrity. Now it's more like the reanimated ghost of Alan Colmes hosting a podcast version of the Today Show. Back to the topic at hand, how does the Nexus approval, entry inspection, and re-approval process differ from Global Entry?

Last edited:
Nexus, IIRC, covers only entry from Canada and costs $50 to apply. Global Entry covers entry from any country, costs $100 to apply. Here's a link to the Homeland Security page with info on the various programs--all of which are valid for 5 years.

Global Entry requires an in-person interview, following "pre-clearance." It can take months for the pre-clearance to come through, and then another wait for an interview appointment, (days, weeks, or months depending on where you are aiming to do the interview). Unless you're flying home from another country anyway in which case you can do the interview without an appointment at many US international airports.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, I will have my interview Monday for global entry and to let you know the lead time from application to pre-approval is 4.5 months at this time.

Nexus, IIRC, covers only entry from Canada and costs $50 to apply. Global Entry covers entry from any country, costs $100 to apply. Here's a link to the Homeland Security page with info on the various programs--all of which are valid for 5 years. Global Entry requires an in-person interview, following "pre-clearance." It can take months for the pre-clearance to come through, and then another wait until for an interview appointment, (days, weeks, or months depending on where you are aiming to do the interview). Unless you're flying home from another country anyway in which case you can do the interview without an appointment at many US international airports.
I probably should have done a better job articulating my situation. I already have Global Entry so that part is understood well enough. My main motivation for purchasing Nexus would be easy access to Canada while maintaining trusted traveler status (and PreCheck) for half the cost when GE expires, assuming it's not a major pain. My main reason for purchasing GE status was the absurd clusterfork regular travelers faced at IAH. These days I don't travel as much as I used to, rarely fly through Houston (bye bye UA), and I've noticed the non-expedited reentry process is fast enough for my needs with or without status.

Which program is the best choice is highly individual--what sort of travel you expect to be doing in the next few years, and which program is most helpful for that at the least cost. It's totally worth $100 to me just for trips to/from Mexico for dental work. Avoiding the long line when walking back across the border, and you're wondering when the anesthetic will wear off---priceless! :)

Back