Well Folks. I'm moving!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Well I guess now is the time to announce that I'm moving finally. I've been living in my grandparents old house for the last 5 1/2 years here in Texas. I love it here, but as with all homes, they just become a burden on my aging grandparents (and me!), that they have sold it!

I'm sad to leave, what I consider the house I grew up in, but very excited to announce my next adventure! I wasn't really sure if I wanted to stay in the DFW area or move elsewhere, such as the West Coast, or maybe Chicago? I had a friend from work say they wanted a roommate, and that I was welcome to come to New Orleans! I never thought I'd ever live in Louisiana, much less The Big Easy, of all place, but after much thought, I decided to do it! For a city in the South it probably has the most to offer for a railfan. 3 LD trains going 3 different directions. Plenty of streetcars to ride as well. I'll still commute to Houston for my work trips, and I'll still visit DFW to see the family pretty often.

So I'm heading down on Thursday to begin apartment hunting, and hope to be moved in by the beginning of September. I'm also really excited to be moving boxes and furniture in 99% humidity in the middle of August!

Congratulations Chris! Now you have to deal with hurricanes (they have more wind and hot air than himmicanes :giggle: ) and maybe living below sea level! :eek:
Aloha

Good luck on the move. And do not worry about hot air, we have enough here at AU to keep you prepared for New Orleans.

:hi: Congrats Chris, now you can help get the Sunset East running again and also help turn the Sunset into a Daily Train! :giggle:

New Orleans is Expensive to live in the Quarter but with a Roomate it shouldnt be too bad!! Most of the Places are like New York and San Francisco, very Pricey for what you get!

Good luck with the hunt and Move, New Orleans, as you know, is a great Place except during Mardi Gras and the Hurricane Season! I guess the Commute to Houston will be fairly easy alsol!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great! Now we all will have a place to 'crash' when making the lousy connections between #2 & #20 or #19 & #1!

:giggle:

Joking aside, good luck with this new chapter!

I really like N.O., and have wondered what it would be like to live either way Uptown near Oak Street, or in the Faubourg Marigny. I have no idea if either are at all affordable.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great! Now we all will have a place to 'crash' when making the lousy connections between #2 & #20 or #19 & #1!

I really like N.O., and have wondered what it would be like to live either way Uptown near Oak Street, or in the Faubourg Marigny. I have no idea if either are at all affordable.
For a Clean/Safe Non-Roach Motel Place think New York/San Francisco/Washington Prices Scott! Not enough places too Live in town but you can live fairly Cheap across the River or the Lake and out in the Swamps! ;)

For a Clean/Safe Non-Roach Motel Place think New York/San Francisco/Washington Prices Scott! Not enough places too Live in town but you can live fairly Cheap across the River or the Lake and out in the Swamps! ;)
I was afraid of that, Jim! :( Across the river Algiers comes to mind, but based on what you're saying, I'm guessing its the same story. :eek:hboy:

Good luck Chris. I hope everything works out. See you in October (if not sooner).

Back