Well I did it......

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S.

Service Attendant
Booked a roomette from BUF to NYP and back. I travel to NYC on the train when I can and this is a wedding I'm going to. The roomette might be a bit tight for 2, but my traveling companion is a lot of fun, so we'll have a good time. The price wasn't that bad either, ($94 each way for the upgrade) and is a bit offset by the fact that we get some meals out of it.

BTW: I know you read a lot of mixed posts about onboard personnel, but EVERYONE I talk to in reservations is so nice and helpful. I even stopped at the downtown Buffalo station this morning to turn in my old tickets (I couldn't use them since I got sick) and it couldn't be easier. My trip to NYC is more than the old tickets were worth so we simply applied those tickets to the new reservation. How easy is that? Try that with a plane ticket. The station attendant was great too.

He commented on my prudence on booking my October trip in March :)

Also, were in roomette 01 on both legs of the trip, so barring any weird car arrangements, we'll get a view of the Hudson on way (I think on the way to NYC).

Do they sell them in order? So am I the first roomette reservation? Or do they sell roomette 01 in each of the 3 cars and then move on to 02, etc.

Mike S.

Also, were in roomette 01 on both legs of the trip, so barring any weird car arrangements, we'll get a view of the Hudson on way (I think on the way to NYC).
Correct.

Do they sell them in order? So am I the first roomette reservation? Or do they sell roomette 01 in each of the 3 cars and then move on to 02, etc.
The later, they'll sell all the #1's first, followed by the #2 rooms, and so on. Of course specific requests can alter things a bit, but otherwise that's how they'll be sold. And the fact that you got a room #1, means that you got the low bucket price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the enthusiasm on this board. I love how you can be psyched in March for a trip in October. Dang I should give myself something to look forward to like that. Really! Some big circle on the Empire Builder, California Zephyr, and Coast Starlight. or heck, maybe just glacier park.

I have never been through that part of the country (New York) and I sure would like to sometime. Will it be fall colors then?

I love the enthusiasm on this board. I love how you can be psyched in March for a trip in October. Dang I should give myself something to look forward to like that. Really! Some big circle on the Empire Builder, California Zephyr, and Coast Starlight. or heck, maybe just glacier park.
I have never been through that part of the country (New York) and I sure would like to sometime. Will it be fall colors then?
Funny you should say that . This is my spring vacation coming in may. In the exact order you said. :) It is taking 15 days with stops in sea and okj.

My g/f and I are toying with the idea of a Pennsylvanian -> Capitol Limited -> Empire Builder -> Coast Starlight -> Sunset Limited -> Crescent trip, and will probably book it once we get the money.

Funny you should say that . This is my spring vacation coming in may. In the exact order you said. :) It is taking 15 days with stops in sea and okj.
Will you fly to Seattle then, and circle back to there? What a great trip! May is the perfect time! Dang you can book eleven months ahead, right? so, a person could book this for next May, in June! :) Which city is OKJ? I could look it up . . . .

My g/f and I are toying with the idea of a Pennsylvanian -> Capitol Limited -> Empire Builder -> Coast Starlight -> Sunset Limited -> Crescent trip, and will probably book it once we get the money.
It truly is fun to think up train trips and connections. I have the big wall map of the Amtrak system on a bulletin board over my desk, I am going to get some of those little post-it arrows and put the names of the routes and I am also going to mark cities where I have friends and relatives to visit.

Planning travel far in advance is a good idea because the anticipation is half the fun and it's a good "life skill" to give yourself something to look forward to!

We'd plan more in advance, but our money situation these days is hand to mouth.
I totally understand! :) But it is fun to dream! And if you think up a trip and research it, then if you do get some money, you'll be ready. And, you didn't cheat yourself out of the fun of dreaming about it. I think you know what I mean.

LOL...Yea, guess I was a bit happy the other day. I normally take coach/bc, but figured, what the heck...its a fun weekend. If I really like it, i might just use it more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back