What about lounge cars(single level)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
Most of my single level experience is of the Crescent and I notice two designs of lounge car on it. One has the food service area in the middle, with dining type seating at one end and lounge-type seating at the other. The other is a car which is clearly blocked off smoking compartment at one end and dining- type seating at the other. That is not very good for me, a non-smoker, because I do not get the kind of lounge seating I prefer. What cars are on other trains, like the Lake, Shore, the Silver trains, etc?

It al depends. 14 out of the 24 Amfleet II Lounges have been refurbished with an enclosed smoking room. The equipment rotates in and out of various trains so it's hard to say what you'll get on a specific train. Smoke does not bother me that much and I think the unrefurbished lounges are nicer than the refurbished ones.

I prefer the refurbs because I can sit in the lounge without all of the second-hand smoke. I agree the lounge seating was nice. You're obviously more likely to get a refurb with the enclosed smoking section.

There isn't a person I know that prefers the unrefurbs. After a discussion with one of the guys at Penn Station who worked at Sunnyside he said for the most part when they are building new consists they try to give long distancers the refurbed lounges although it doesnt always work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back