what about small animals in carriers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot believe the ridiculous entries regarding allergies to pets- I understand you have an allergy. If you have an allergy to peanuts are you going make peanuts illegal? You are going to have to live in this world that has animals, food, and a variety of people. Perhaps you need to start exposing yourself little by little so your body can be accustomed to the real world.
Well before we reopen this thread lets realize its over a year old.

I cannot believe the ridiculous entries regarding allergies to pets- I understand you have an allergy. If you have an allergy to peanuts are you going make peanuts illegal? You are going to have to live in this world that has animals, food, and a variety of people. Perhaps you need to start exposing yourself little by little so your body can be accustomed to the real world.
Year-Old Topic or not, this is funny too! I'm usually the heartless, hypocrite that chimes in on topics like this. Let's force alcoholics to drink too!

Circus Train Info

Tell the cats, dogs, parrots, monkeys, and wildebeests!

It looks like the animals enjoy more comfort on the Circus Train. I see no sleepers on this train but 33 passenger coaches. It is possible that the performers have to ride from city to city only in coach??? When I was up close to the train a couple of years back it looked like they had dining cars and sleepers but they don't list in the consist.

Year-Old Topic or not, this is funny too! I'm usually the heartless, hypocrite that chimes in on topics like this. Let's force alcoholics to drink too!

LOL! I'm slow on the draw, I guess! I didn't catch the suggestion to "start exposing myself..........."

I thought there were laws against that!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why is it pets seem to have no problem traveling with owners in Europe. My brother was in rural Scotland recently and several dogs were in the car. I recall many times seeing a pet sitting on its owner's lap looking out their bedroom window on Florida trains in the 60's.

As to those with allergies - my son was allergic to cats when young so I can sympathize, but I don't see how that could be a problem if the car was cleaned thoroughly. I suspect the real difference is that the Pullman Company did a far better job of cleaning cars than Amtrak.

Circus Train Info

Tell the cats, dogs, parrots, monkeys, and wildebeests!

It looks like the animals enjoy more comfort on the Circus Train. I see no sleepers on this train but 33 passenger coaches. It is possible that the performers have to ride from city to city only in coach??? When I was up close to the train a couple of years back it looked like they had dining cars and sleepers but they don't list in the consist.
33 coaches for under 400 people?

Everyone has bedrooms. The performers live on the train.

I suspect the real difference is that the Pullman Company did a far better job of cleaning cars than Amtrak.
Yet the Pullman company is out of business, while Amtrak (admittedly with taxpayer support) is not.

Actually, many food allergy activist organizations have lobbied to have peanuts banned from airplanes, schools, ballparks, and public places (i.e. the guy on the corner selling bags of nuts for $2)

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, many food allergy activist organizations have lobbied to have peanuts banned from airplanes, schools, ballparks, and public places (i.e. the guy on the corner selling bags of nuts for $2)

So what about those who have allergies to dairy....(lmao...) you gonna lobby for that...what about beef or pork? Come on...

I am a pet owner...and I don't travel with Amtrak because, (FOR REAL), I have dogs who I love to travel with. IF Amtrak would keep up with the rest of the world...and allow pet travel...I would use them OVER flying anyday...so they would have another customer...but I am totally turned off by them for not allowing pets and I assume others are as well. I am living proof they lose customers by their policies...IF the customers that don't like pets or want to be around them have a problem, they can sit in the NO pet section. I believe you will find more customers in the PET section...as there are A LOT of pet lovers out there...oh and just for Amtrak to realize (there are actual airlines now starting up just for pet travel...and are doing really well). The Amtrak imagineers should start taking a look at the future and upgrade their policy.

Lost customer due to NO pet policy~

Hi,

I don't think that public transport shoud be "imagineered" around people who want to transport their animals... That seems a niche market and while I can see how the difficulties of transporting your animals might be irksome, surely that is part of the deal when one becomes a pet owner..?

Amtrak seems short of coaches, I can't see providing an exclusive coach on each train for transporting pets being a great money spinner.

Ed :cool:

Which is probably why my local Dunkin Donuts shop felt they needed to post a sign warning customers that their "Banana Nut Muffins may contain nuts". From which my immediate comment was "what's this may?"; they sure better contain nuts. :giggle:

Hi,

I don't think that public transport shoud be "imagineered" around people who want to transport their animals... That seems a niche market and while I can see how the difficulties of transporting your animals might be irksome, surely that is part of the deal when one becomes a pet owner..?

Amtrak seems short of coaches, I can't see providing an exclusive coach on each train for transporting pets being a great money spinner.

Ed :cool:
That "niche market" you speak of is a billion dollar pet industry...Amtraks customer base would expand greatly IMO...but they are for sure less one customer here..so we can agree to disagree. :)

I seriously doubt the Amtrak is missing out on billions of dollars because you can't take your dogs on the train. There are just as many people out there that can't/won't ride if the train turns into a rolling vet office (me, for example).

So yeah, keep dreaming.

I seriously doubt the Amtrak is missing out on billions of dollars because you can't take your dogs on the train. There are just as many people out there that can't/won't ride if the train turns into a rolling vet office (me, for example).

So yeah, keep dreaming.

As I said in the above post for those of you who choose NOT to travel with pets:

"IF the customers that don't like pets or want to be around them have a problem, they can sit in the NO pet section"

Hmm...rolling vet office ? Now who is the one dreaming...lol :giggle:

So Amtrak would need to schedule stops along the route's for passengers to walk Fido. Like said you want to keep a lot of people off the train then allow pets in coaches or sleepers. I can't stand the smell of a pet store and animals have accidents that require cleanup no matter how well trained they are.

What exactly are "small animals"?

Can I bring a small elephant with me on an Amtrak coach car? I totally need him to be with me, else I can't travel. He is quite small and well behaved. He will quietly stand in the aisle wagging his tail about. Still not allowed? Ok.

Joel, What about when the blind person arrives at their destination? They'll need their service animal there as well even if they had the most helpful car attendant in the world on the train.

Joel, What about when the blind person arrives at their destination? They'll need their service animal there as well even if they had the most helpful car attendant in the world on the train.
They are allowed to take their service animals on the train. I have ridden on acela with a blind person with a service dog, and also when I was on the CS a passenger had his service dog in the PPC.

I loved that person back there (clearly without allergies) who said I should simply expose myself to the allergen in the real world more often, as it will build up a "tolerance". :giggle: :rolleyes: That's like telling a burn victim they should have built up a tolerance to fire by placing their hand on a hot burner every so often.

My cat, my avatar, whom I adore has the run of my 2000 sq ft house. How do you think he would like being cooped up in a carrier or even a deluxe bedroom (with me & maybe my wife) on one of my multi-day train trips.

Doesn't sound fair to him so I travel without him.

So yeah, keep dreaming.

As I said in the above post for those of you who choose NOT to travel with pets:

"IF the customers that don't like pets or want to be around them have a problem, they can sit in the NO pet section"

Hmm...rolling vet office ? Now who is the one dreaming...lol :giggle:
How exactly is that going to work? Different sections of the same car? Not going to fly, as you'll still hear/smell/have allergic reactions from the beasts. Different cars? You greatly underestimate the absolute operational nightmare that would entail. It's really easy to say, but when you get into the actual details of how something is implemented, you quickly realize that it isn't workable.

They are allowed to take their service animals on the train. I have ridden on acela with a blind person with a service dog, and also when I was on the CS a passenger had his service dog in the PPC.
My first LD trip ever on the SWC there was a guy with a seizure dog with him. Second trip there was a lady with a dog in a kennel on the lower level of the coach car. Dunno what her condition was but I'm assuming it was still a service dog.

I sat in the second to last row on a Superliner coach. Last was for crew but they let a blind man and his dog use it. He asked not to be seated downstairs. I overheard two service agents saying he was a high maintenance traveler but he was fine. He just requested knowing which stops he could walk his little black lab service dog.

But aside from service dogs being legally allowed, they're also trained to work for their owner which means behaving. If I didn't see the dog come aboard I wouldn't have known he was even there. That was a Denver to Galesburg leg on the CZ 6.

It's very unfortunate that Amtrak has this policy, but that's the way it is.
I don't think the policy is unfortunate at all. Service animals notwithstanding, those who feel the need to have their dogs, cats (mine's name is Intruder), parrots, monkeys, or wildebeests accompany them should use private methods of transportation, e.g. driving, or look into booking a seat on a circus train. Ringling Bros., Barnum & Bailey may have seats available, if you don't mind riding with midgets and clowns.
Delayed reaction by a few years but still LOL at this one.

Belated thanks,

Dan

You can have pretty much any dog certified as a service dog online for about $100. Once you have those credentials amtrak employees cannot even question to what your disability is. The coast starlight is prime example as the upper class with their purse dogs get them certified as therapy,seizure,comfort dogs etc. They ride frequently and there is nothing onboard staff can do. Even questioning it is a violation of policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back