What Amtrak can learn from the Russians

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Russia, Europe, Northern Africa, India, Asia, Japan, Middle East... all places that have superior train services and technologies to what we have here with Amtrak.
Southeast Asia is pretty good too. KTMB (Malaysian Railway, Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad) in Malaysia and Thai Railways (in Thai something like "kan rot fai haeng prathet thai ") have some fine service, as does Vietnam. And of course even though not a long distance service, considered as a regional service Singapore's MRT is a class act.

Incidentally, for those that are into Indian Railways, the Indian name of Indian Railways is Bharatya Rail. India's Indian name is Bharat. This is sort of like the fact that the Russian Railways is actuall RZD which stands for Rossiyskie Zheleznye Dorogi

I was thinking about a trip to Vietnam too.
I've been to Vietnam a few times, vesting family. One of my relatives house is right by a passenger line, I've seen a handful of trains going past while staying there.

Taiwan Railway is also very good. The Taiwan High Speed is also very good. Thanks to failure of the original French-German group to keep their promises, Japanese standards for track, power, equipment, signaling on structures built to European standards. So far as I know the only system in Asia to meet the US ADA platform gap requirements, but the Shinkansen gaps in Japan are very close. (The Taipei MRT likewise meets US ADA platform and station access requirements.)

Incidentally, for those that are into Indian Railways, the Indian name of Indian Railways is Bharatya Rail. India's Indian name is Bharat.
I assume you mean the Hindi name. Does it have Bangla, Gujarati, etc. names too, or just Hindi and English?

I assume you mean the Hindi name. Does it have Bangla, Gujarati, etc. names too, or just Hindi and English?
According to the Constitution of India, India's official Indian name is Bharat, and hence the official Indian name of Indian Railways is Bharatiya Rail.

Specifically Bengali name is also Bharat or Bharot as pronounced in Bengali. The roots of it are deep in the history of Vedic India.

There are several other popularly used names, Hindustan being one of them. AFAIK though Bharat or some close derivative is a legitimate name for India in all major Indian languages except Tamil and Malayalam in both of which the name used is derived from India.

There is a very nice article on the various names of India in Wikipedia for those interested in deeper dive at the first level of such a dive.... Names for India - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Back