What Amtrak Routes have you taken?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have taken the Blue Water, Wolverine Service, Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, City of New Orleans, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Coast Starlight, Auto Train, Acela, Cascades, Carl Sandburg, Illinois Zephyr, Illini, and Pennsylvanian.

Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Empire Builder, Capitol Limited, Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini, Saluki, Lakeshore Limited, Crescent, Cardinal. All full length; most both directions and multiple times. 46,000 Amtrak miles.
Also: White Pass and Yukon Route Railway, Grand Canyon Railway, Fillmore and Western Railway, California Western (Skunk) and LARail.
Pre-Amtrak: Southern Pacific and Santa Fe.

most of them! Still need to ride the Adirondack, Boston Leg of the Lake Shore, and the Cardinal east of Indianapolis.

I’ve even got the River Cities on my roster! (The Memphis to St. Louis split off the City of New Orleans)

All the current long distance routes except the Texas Eagle. Many discontinued routes, such as the Sunset East, the Pioneer, the Desert Wind.

Also, the Pacific Surfliners, the Cascades, the Maple Leaf, the Adirondack, the Hoosier State, the Michigan Services train, St. Louis to KC (now the River Runner, then the Ann Rutledge), NE Regionals, and the Acela.

Almost everything in the northeast, except the Ethan Allen. Also, Carolinian, Piedmont, Lakeshore Limited, Capitol Limited, Pennsylvanian (PHL - Huntingdon), Keystone, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Crescent (Baltimore to Atlanta), Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL), Southwest Chief (CHI-Lamy), California Zephyr (CHI-DEN), Empire Builder (CHI-Havre), Hiawatha, Lincoln Service (CHI - Joliet), Pacific Surfliner (Santa-Ana - LAUS), Capitol Corridor.

Also, discontinued services: Broadway Limited (both New York and Washington sections), Valley Forge, Merchant's Limited, Silverliner Service (predecessor to Keystone service).

Last edited:
Current Amtrak routes: Pere Marquette, Empire Builder (both sections), California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Coast Starlight, Auto Train, Acela, Northeast Regional, Cascades, Carl Sandburg, Illinois Zephyr, Illini, Saluki, Pennsylvanian, Pacific Surfliner, Texas Eagle, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor Keystone, Lincoln Service, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf.

Discontinued trains: San Francisco Zephyr, Desert Wind, Broadway Limited.

Last edited:
Let's see: the Empire Builder, City of New Orleans, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Pacific Surfliner, Texas Eagle, Sunset Limited, the Cascades, Cardinal, Capital Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Vermonter, Downeaster, Northeast Regional, Crescent, Silver Meteor, Lincoln Service (and its predecessor, the State House), Heartland Flyer, and the Wolverine. There, I think that's all of them.🙂

I've ridden a few routes pre-Amtrak as well as a few tourist railroads.

All of the long distance routes multiple times. Most of the regional routes with the exception of the Missouri River Runner and Oklahoma flyer. Only train I was never on was the Auto Train. Rode the Sunset East all the way to Fort Lauderdale and the Desert Wind. I was about to ride the Pioneer,but it was discontinued before I got to it.

I have ridden all the current Amtrak routes plus many that have been discontinued like the Floridian. I have also ridden many pre Amtrak routes, some of which tracks no longer exist. I started riding passenger trains in 1948 when I was less than a year old with my first trip being on the Rock Island's Rocky Mountain Rock from Joliet to Council Bluffs.

Of the current system, it'd be easier to list the segments I haven't covered:
-- Richmond-Newport News
-- Petersburg-Norfolk
-- Lynchburg-Roanoke
-- Raleigh-Greensboro
-- Battle Creek-Port Huron
-- Pere Marquette route
-- Galesburg-Quincy
-- St. Louis-Kansas City
-- Fort Worth-Oklahoma City
-- Spokane-Everett
-- Martinez-Bakersfield
-- Sacramento-Stockton
-- Sunset Los Angeles-Pomona

Other than that, I've covered all the rest, plus a few routes that no longer exist, including: the Broadway Limited (both the original PRR route through Lima and the later reroute through Akron and Fostoria); National Limited as far west as Dayton; Montrealer (via both Hartford and Willimantic); Lake Cities Toledo-Detroit; Silver Star Richmond-Raleigh via Henderson; the Waldo line in Florida; Chicago-Fort Madison via Streator; San Bernardino-Los Angeles via Pasadena. Also the Adirondack via the Napierville Junction route from Rouses Point to Montreal West.

Last edited:
Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Pacific Surfliner, Heartland Flyer, Northeast Regional, Empire Service, Acela Express. Might try to knock off the San Joaquin and/or Capitol Corridor this May.

AutoTrain, Cardinal, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Acela, Vermonter, Maple Leaf, Montrealer, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Cascades, Empire Builder, Carolinian/Piedmont, Crescent, Silver Star, Silver Meteor

I have ridden all the current Amtrak routes plus many that have been discontinued like the Floridian. I have also ridden many pre Amtrak routes, some of which tracks no longer exist. I started riding passenger trains in 1948 when I was less than a year old with my first trip being on the Rock Island's Rocky Mountain Rock from Joliet to Council Bluffs.
I believe, jphjaxfl, our experiences may be similar. I was born in 1947 and my mother took me as an infant on a Central of Georgia train called the Man O' War from Columbus GA to Atlanta GA to visit my grandmother frequently. The Man O' War went into service in July, 1947 (a month before may birth date) so I guess I was a passenger near its beginning; and through its last run in the 1970's. That was the beginning of my 275,000 mile journey on the rails. I know I have been on all Amtrak routes (and, of course, many pre-Amtrak routes that no longer exist) with the exception of Boston to the State of Maine. Although I have been on the route and rails it covers, I have never actually been on the AutoTrain.
P.S. jphjaxfl I since you live in Jacksonville. It is my favorite city. I lived there 1976-1982 and have missed it every day since.

Since I'm only missing 4 routes from the current LD schedule, I'll take the opportunity to list the ones I miss the most: the Montrealer, the Broadway Limited and Desert Wind - my favorite Amtrak train.
jiml: I, too, loved the Desert Wind. I had the good fortune to be on that train in a Bedroom sleeper just a few days before its last trip--I believe that was April, 1997.

Back