what are some prepared foods to take on Amtrak LD trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iliketrains

Lead Service Attendant
I am planning a very long trip reserving coach and not a sleeper. I am trying to determine types of food I could take on board to save money. I will probably only use the diner car for breakfast. So far I've identified:

1) luncheon meat and bread with condiment packets

2) fruit

3) fried chicken legs

4) potato chips

And other suggestions? Also, will I have access to a microwave?

No access to microwave.

Boiled eggs in their shells keep for a long while even without refrigeration.

Dried fruit and nuts are nutrient-dense, don't take up much space, and don't squash easily in your baggage.

You'll probably You might want bottled water. Although there's water on the train that's technically potable, many of us find it icky.

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally like to bring some beef jerky/beef sticks as well - they'll last for a couple days without heavy refrigeration. If you bring a lunchbox/insulated small cooler with an ice pack, that may last for a day or so as well, which could give some more options for that first day (or if you're able to chill it during layovers.) Some cheeses are also okay for a day or two, as well as cured meats.

I'd definitely scout out any layover stops and try and stock up there as well; it's easier to get stuff that will last for a day or two without a cooler than stuff that will last a week or two. A refillable water bottle is recommended. I've been fine with the water on board, but to each their own.

You will have not have access to a microwave. You can get hot water in the cafe car for free, though, so there are some things you can heat up onboard. As to what kind of foods are best to bring, you'll probably want stuff that's reasonably calorie dense and that you'll be willing to eat for days at a time.

Is finding an ice pack for a small cooler easy at a major station like Chicago? How about a smaller station like New Orleans?

Is finding an ice pack for a small cooler easy at a major station like Chicago? How about a smaller station like New Orleans?
And already-chilled ice pack, probably no. (Although someone else on this forum might know exactly where to find that.
default_smile.png
) Much easier is ice--I've sometimes bought a BIG cup of ice at a fast-food or convenience store.

Insulated bag with frozen ice packs will enhance your menu options a lot. We took cold fried chicken long ago. You could add Lunchables too. Cheese/crackers/salami. No mayonnaise at all

Other ideas: Peanut butter and Cheese Crackers,Raisins,Smoked Oysters or Clams( Smoked), packaged Desert Snacks and Pudding Cups, Cups of Noodles or Ramen( if you can eat the Loads of Sodium)are other good choices, as are Juices that don't require refrigiration, and Coke products if you don't like Pepsi @ High Prices.Take along Plastic Ware also.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! Someone should post a list items to bring when you travel long distance on Amtrak, especially when not using the diner car.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! Someone should post a list items to bring when you travel long distance on Amtrak, especially when not using the diner car.
If you're talking about stuff to bring on Amtrak in general (not just food), then there have been many threads and lists about this kind of thing. Here's one.

An increasing number of long distance hikers/backpackers are leaving the lightweight camp stove at home and "eating cold" on the trail...especially during warmer weather. There is virtually no opportunity to refrigerate or microwave anything in the woods so the items they carry have to be lightweight, stand up to summer temps, be nutritious (backpackers strive for 2,000 calories per day that aren't empty calories!) and be easy to prepare --often requiring only water and whatever they carry with them.

Just google "backpacking foods you can eat cold" for more ideas than you hoped for. It's become a mini-industry. Many of these ideas could easily be adapted for train travel.

I agree with @OBS Chief in that you should think about convenient backpacking food. I'm not talking about freeze dried chill mac or anything messy like that but more snack foods, Beef jerky, sliced hard salami, sliced cheese, dried fruit, crackers or flat bread. This type of food will keep for days without refrigeration, doesn't make a mess, etc.

Back in the day when you could take food through airport security, we stopped at a Syrian deli on the way to the airport to pick up something to-go. About an hour into the flight it was time for lunch. When opened the packages, we realized that the lamb sausage was about 1/2 lamb and 1/2 garlic. The aromas had heads turning ten rows away. It was delicious. (Don't be this guy.)

Crackers and cheese along with a package of Salami and a large bag of trail mix from Cosco.then hit the Cafe for a couple of hot items. That's if you like traveling in what may turn out to be a zoo. Otherwise, consider trading in all the frustration for a roomette, bring the snacks along with a suitable amount of wine and and hit the dinning car three times a day

I recommend durian fruit. They have a tough exterior so they don't get bruised easily, and the fruit is a delicious almost caramel whipped cream flavor. Your neighbors will probably want to share.

If you go the small cooler route, bring along a few good ziploc bags to hold some crushed or cubed ice for day 2/3. The sealed type packs you start with are probably good for the first day depending on temperature and cooler quality but having the ability to add some ice without getting things too wet is handy.

An increasing number of long distance hikers/backpackers are leaving the lightweight camp stove at home and "eating cold" on the trail...especially during warmer weather. There is virtually no opportunity to refrigerate or microwave anything in the woods so the items they carry have to be lightweight, stand up to summer temps, be nutritious (backpackers strive for 2,000 calories per day that aren't empty calories!) and be easy to prepare --often requiring only water and whatever they carry with them.

Just google "backpacking foods you can eat cold" for more ideas than you hoped for. It's become a mini-industry. Many of these ideas could easily be adapted for train travel.
Gets boring awfully quickly though. I found that having one hot meal a day felt really good, even if it was just something simple like mac and cheese. I also wanted coffee or tea in the morning. But on a train that's easily done in the dining car or at the cafe.

Also - hiking for 10+ miles a day will tend to require more than 2000 calories a day, which isn't going to be the case on a train. I've heard 3000-4000 is typical depending on the person's size.

Still - there are simple, compact foods that can be pretty satisfying and many don't require refrigeration. I remember packing sealed salami slices that didn't require refrigeration until opened. And even then they (with nitrates as preservatives) could last a day without refrigeration once opened.

Gets boring awfully quickly though. I found that having one hot meal a day felt really good, even if it was just something simple like mac and cheese. I also wanted coffee or tea in the morning. But on a train that's easily done in the dining car or at the cafe.

Also - hiking for 10+ miles a day will tend to require more than 2000 calories a day, which isn't going to be the case on a train. I've heard 3000-4000 is typical depending on the person's size.

Still - there are simple, compact foods that can be pretty satisfying and many don't require refrigeration. I remember packing sealed salami slices that didn't require refrigeration until opened. And even then they (with nitrates as preservatives) could last a day without refrigeration once opened.
As someone who did some incredibly bare bones camping for several days at camp a few weeks ago, I strongly agree. Living in cold camping food for days on end, when you don't really need to, is going to be misery.

And already-chilled ice pack, probably no. (Although someone else on this forum might know exactly where to find that.
default_smile.png
) Much easier is ice--I've sometimes bought a BIG cup of ice at a fast-food or convenience store.
I've never seen those sold at anything except room temp. Heard of it, but never actually seen it myself. When I rode on the CS I went and bought a soft-sided cooler and a few ice packs at a local Target, but I had to freeze them overnight at a relative's place. Not sure about how well those things freeze in hotel refrigerators since some have barely there freezer sections that are in the same compartment.

The only fast food place I've seen that has bags of ice for sale is Sonic. At other times we've asked if we could get a cup of ice. I remember one time before a baseball game my dad just asked at a McDonald's if they would fill our small cooler. It of course helps to buy something.

They don't advertise it much, but McDonald's, at least here in Minnesota, sells ice pretty cheaply. It was $1.19 or $1.29 for an 8 lb. bag of ice; half the price of that size bag at a convenience store. Most convenience stores will also sell a cup of ice from the fountain machine, typically for 25-50 cents. I don't know if fast food places will sell a cup of ice specifically, but there's always the option of buying a cup of pop and filling it with ice.

I recommend durian fruit. They have a tough exterior so they don't get bruised easily, and the fruit is a delicious almost caramel whipped cream flavor. Your neighbors will probably want to share.
Right. It's illegal to transport durian on the Singapore metro because it smells like rotting meat. Tastes wonderful but smells dreadful.
default_wacko.png

Back