What are the best and worst commuter rails in the U.S.?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should ask my 9 y/o grandson. He's been on most of the rail transit systems around the country from Tri-rail, Sunrail and Brighline in Fla up the coast to to the Boston T and west to California (all systems SFO to San Diego) and that includes NJT, Septa, Baltimore light rail, NYC subways, Metro North, LIRR, PATH and Staten Island RR, VRE, MARC, Cleveland RTD, Chicago, Dallas, Albuquerque, Phoenix, Atlanta (where he lives) and even in Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto. I estimate he's been on 40 or more transit systems. They're heading up to the Northwest and Alaska this summer. He'll pick up a bunch more.

I gave up tracking the list but I think his mom has kept it up.

Maybe I could throw in a good word for Caltrain - from San Francisco to San Jose (with a few trains to Gilroy). They're typically on time, although there are unfortunate delays to to "trespasser incidents". It's pretty clean, most passengers keep to themselves, and the employees are generally pleasant. They run 7 days a week, on holidays, and run a full schedule in both directions all day.

It has changed since they moved to a fare checking system. I think at this point most passengers use the interagency Clipper fare card, and fare checkers (who have a different job than the conductors) either ask to see paper tickets or use readers to check people's Clipper cards. I fondly remember when one would buy traditional punched tickets either at the stations with ticket offices or sometimes directly from the conductors. There were some stations that didn't have ticket offices and there wouldn't be a surcharge for buying on the train, or if it was a weekend or holiday where the ticket offices were closed. Then of course the tickets would be placed on clips near the seats in the traditional manner.

And I guess the kicker is that it's one of the last commuter train systems that allows riders to consume their own alcohol. The first time I'd ridden in a while was with my kid. And there were some groups that brought cases of craft beer to drink. Then when I asked a conductor about some of the stuff he witnessed, and he said some riders would bring bottles of liquor and they would be downing shots. I boarded once with a bottle of Corona (don't judge) and in my kid's stroller's cup holder. The conductor said "you're good with that, but you're supposed to fold the stroller before boarding."

Maybe I could throw in a good word for Caltrain - from San Francisco to San Jose (with a few trains to Gilroy). They're typically on time, although there are unfortunate delays to to "trespasser incidents". It's pretty clean, most passengers keep to themselves, and the employees are generally pleasant. They run 7 days a week, on holidays, and run a full schedule in both directions all day.

It has changed since they moved to a fare checking system. I think at this point most passengers use the interagency Clipper fare card, and fare checkers (who have a different job than the conductors) either ask to see paper tickets or use readers to check people's Clipper cards. I fondly remember when one would buy traditional punched tickets either at the stations with ticket offices or sometimes directly from the conductors. There were some stations that didn't have ticket offices and there wouldn't be a surcharge for buying on the train, or if it was a weekend or holiday where the ticket offices were closed. Then of course the tickets would be placed on clips near the seats in the traditional manner.

And I guess the kicker is that it's one of the last commuter train systems that allows riders to consume their own alcohol. The first time I'd ridden in a while was with my kid. And there were some groups that brought cases of craft beer to drink. Then when I asked a conductor about some of the stuff he witnessed, and he said some riders would bring bottles of liquor and they would be downing shots. I boarded once with a bottle of Corona (don't judge) and in my kid's stroller's cup holder. The conductor said "you're good with that, but you're supposed to fold the stroller before boarding."

I'll second the rec for Caltrain. I've only used maybe 15 times (counting the old SP) but it was on time, clean and comfortable every trip.

Unless

Unless they've changed the rules since I retired, it's permissible to consume your own ethanol-based beverage on the MARC trains. I distinctly remember the "party section" on the 5:20 out of Washington. I didn't join because I usually had to do the driving home from Penn Station.

Maybe I could throw in a good word for Caltrain - from San Francisco to San Jose (with a few trains to Gilroy). [snip]And I guess the kicker is that it's one of the last commuter train systems that allows riders to consume their own alcohol.
Metra allows booze on the trains, except for a fairly short list of events including music festivals and the St. Patrick's parades. https://metrarail.com/riding-metra/alcohol-restrictions 21 days out of 365 isn't bad. :)

Metra allows booze on the trains, except for a fairly short list of events including music festivals and the St. Patrick's parades. https://metrarail.com/riding-metra/alcohol-restrictions 21 days out of 365 isn't bad. :)

Caltrain has an event day open alcohol container ban after 9 PM away from certain events. But it's a limited number of events like after San Francisco Giants night games or San Jose Sharks games. I'm looking at it now, and they have added Chase Center, San Jose Earthquakes games, and maybe Levi's Stadium events. The latter two aren't that close to a station though, but riders would transfer from some other service.

http://www.caltrain.com/riderinfo/specialevents.html

So from San Francisco it might be for any Warriors game or concert as well as baseball games (and the occasional concert). From San Jose it's every Sharks game. They don't seem to have a list, although I'm sure they have a notice on their Twitter page for any day alcohol is stopped at 9 PM.

I'm not sure how anyone going to an event is supposed to bring alcohol aboard since one can't bring alcohol in or out of most venues. However, I understand there's a convenience store at the 4th and King (San Francisco) Caltrain station that sells beer.

They pick up stuff at the convenience stores on their way to the station - or in the station bars. Most of the bars in the various Metra stations downtown (except Van Buren and maybe LaSalle) have bars that, iirc, offer take-out booze.

Back