What are the most scenic Amtrak routes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbyrdleroydogg

Train Attendant
What are the most scenic Amtrak routes? I want to take a big Amtrak trip next summer and want a route with mountains, lakes, etc. The scenery that makes It hard to leave your room or makes you hang out in the observation car all day.

Matter of taste. If you want mountains, and steep river ravines, California Zephyr from Denver to SF is your train. Red rocks, brown tumbleweed, yellow desert and cactus? Southwest Chief from Kansas City to LA. Ocean and green hills? Coast Starlight LA to Sacramento, also Pacific Surfliner LA to San Diego. Open, empty 'big sky' prairie and treeless views? Empire Builder. (Autumn leaf colors? Adirondack. River view? Albany to NYC.)

Pro tip: you can do a loop. Chicago-SF-LA-Chicago gets three of the most scenic routes.

My vote for the most scenic train rides are the California Zephyr (easy #1) and Coast Starlight.

Empire Builder has some really nice sections as well. Westbound out of Portland is particularly nice, Glacier National Park, and running along the Mississippi River and watching bald eagles fish after departing St. Paul.

I'd add the Sunset Ltd. between New Orleans and LA ( Westbound is Best for Daylight Reasons) with the crossing of the Huey Long Bridge over the Mississippi, the Swamp running through Cajun Country, crossing the Pecos River High Bridge between Del Rio and Alpine,the Border Running along the Rio Grande in El Paso and the desert to Tucson( Best in Summer for Sunlight).

Unfortunately the rest of the Route to LA is in the dark unless you're running very late, but arriving @ the Beautiful LA Union Station is always a Highlight!( even @ O- Dark- Thirty!)

Although not in the same league as the western trains I would add the Northeast Corridor between New Haven and Stonington CT where it runs along the shore of Long Island Sound. Personally I find the old industrial areas going through cities like Newark NJ and Philadelphia interesting from a historical POV to see the way things used to be before our manufacturing moved to the suburbs and then overseas but that's not for everyone.

All of the Western Trains feature natural beauty worthy of consideration, but the Coast Starlight has the most varied combination of landscapes and the most consistent scenic appeal in my view. Put frankly there is no part of the Starlight's route that I find uninteresting and that counts for a lot in my book.

All of the Western Trains feature natural beauty worthy of consideration, but the Coast Starlight has the most varied combination of landscapes and the most consistent scenic appeal in my view. Put frankly there is no part of the Starlight's route that I find uninteresting and that counts for a lot in my book.
Agree. From beginning to end The Starlight has consistent great scenery. The great scenery going West on the Zephyr and Chief begin the second day and late on the second day on the Builder.

Agree. From beginning to end The Starlight has consistent great scenery. The great scenery going West on the Zephyr and Chief begin the second day and late on the second day on the Builder.

While I don’t disagree that the Starlight is great.. there’s quite a bit of nice rural scenery the first day of the zephyr.

The Starlight can be greatly affected by a clear day as well... I almost always get clouds going through Oregon so that may affect my thoughts.

The Empire Service up the Hudson Valley between New York and Albany. You get a bit of New York City, the Hudson River, and three mountain ranges (New Jersey Palisades, Hudson Highlands, and the Catskill Escarpment), plus a lot of interesting bridges and a great view of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

The Capitol Limited eastbound east of Connellsville, PA. You get the Youghiogheny River gorge, crossing the Alleghenies over the Sand Patch Grade, the folded Appalachians between Cumberland and Harpers Ferry, and Piedmont farmland after that. On the westbound trip, the crossing of the Alleghenies and the Youghiogheny River section are in darkness.

The Pennsylvanian gives one Pennsylvania Dutch country (you might see an Amish farmer plowing with a horse-drawn team), the folded Appalachians, and, of course, the World-Famous Horseshoe Curve.

The Northeast Regional/Acela is also pretty cool. I've been riding it since the late 1960s, and it's interesting to see what's changed and what hasn't. The skyline of Philadelphia as you cross the Schuylkill River is something to see. The other spectacular city view is of Manhattan as one crosses the Hell Gate Bridge. Also, the coastal scenery east of New Haven and west of Westerly Rhode Island. Also, the sections that directly parallel interstate highways (along I-495 just north of Wilmington and along I-95 in northeast Philadelpha, north of 30th St.) It's fun to zip by the cars, which sometimes look like they're just standing still, even if they're actually doing 60-70 mph. I-95 also parallels the tracks in places between the Hell Gate Bridges and New Haven, but that's not so much fun, as the trains are much slower there, and unless there's traffic congestion on I-95 (which does happen a lot), the cars will be zipping right by the train.

Actually, in terms of mountains and lakes, Via's Canadian would be my choice. The Canadian Rockies and lakes just about the whole route--including picturesque beaver dams. Thrills per mile for me would be the Coast Starlight--Pacific coast beaches, California agricultural land, architecturally interesting stations, the Cascade Mountains and waterfalls, the rivers and bridges coming into Portland, and the majesty of the volcanos--Mount Shasta, Mount Hood, Mount Rainier up close and others in the distance. Sadly, the coastal area around Tacoma and going under the Narrows suspension bridge are no longer in that list...

For me, the Canadian gets a bit monotonous across the Canadian Shield for more than a day. Sort of in a similar way that the Silvers get monotonous through the Pine forests. West of Edmonton it is quite nice.
Ditto for the Trains that run through the Midwest, especially in Illinois,Indiana,Nebraska and Kansas.

Amtrak has abundant routes that amaze with scenery... especially in the fall. The EB going east out of Whitefish is as good as it gets... as is the Adirondack around Lake George going north... the Cardinal route is also breathtaking through Appalachia as is the CZ double thrill through the Colorado Rockies and west... to again be amazed going through the Sierra Nevadas.

Also to be enjoyed is the Sunset on the north side as it approaches El Paso from the West and you see the wide sweeping valley [just about then the mouth begins to water with anticipation of those amazing burritos from the 'burrito lady.'

Crossing the Mississippi with the St. Louis skyline and arch in view was much better when the TE had it's observation car. What a shame they took it off!

Don't forget the gorgeous views of the Hudson River going north towards Albany as well as views of the NYC skyline on the routes leaving the Big Apple towards Boston. And speaking of water... no train does ocean views like the CS and the Surfliners.
Oops... I dare not forget to mention the SL, the CONO, and Crescent as they cross the big lakes out of New Orleans!

And with a little luck... rainbow views are available just about everywhere... only when they happen... but they do happen!

Only on a train!

One other bit of sometimes-scenery occurs anywhere on the routes where you have long expanses of horizon--amazing cloud formations. I recall a trip through Iowa, I think, where the clouds were as awesome a sight as any mountain range. Or at night in the Midwest in the summer, where you can often watch lightning storms from miles away. Really, we are spoiled for great window-gazing on just about any LD route. The only exceptions are some of the Right Coast's routes where, particularly when the trees are leafed out in summer, you are in a green tunnel for much of the time.

My two favorites are the Coast Starlight and Adirondack. The Adirondack is a 12 hour ride from NYC to Montreal, while the Starlight is a 35 hour ride from Seattle to Los Angeles (along with likely delays).

Don't forget the Adirondack. From Penn Sta right up to Rouses Pt., particularly. Gorgeous along the Hudson rising into upstate and then kissing Lake Champlain. I'd be hard pressed to beat it. And when it flattens out in the Canadian cornfields it brings you to a great world city, Montreal.

We lucked out taking this from NYC to Plattsburgh in October several years ago. We didn't know it, but just for that month it had added a vintage dome car!!! the best!!!

Top three are the CZ, CS, and EB. After that it’s a toss up, and it comes down to what you like. I’ve written my opinions on the routes I’ve been on excluding the CZ.

Although I’ve never been on it, the CZ wins for me. It has mountains, canyons, fields, desert, even a bit of the San Pablo bay.

After that I’d say the CS. The ocean is beautiful and you can go dolphin watching from the train, and the Cascades are also pretty nice, but I’d say donner pass offers better scenery. Although in Northern California the scenery is actually very beautiful, and I’ve been able to see much of it in daylight twice. However the Salinas valley is very boring in my opinion, and I’m sure parts of Oregon and Washington can be blring for some when you’re used to it.

The Empire Builder has its highlights, the cascades, the Columbia River Gorge, glacier, and the Midwest. But for a lot of the route, big sky country, it gets boring real fast and IIRC service is limited in that section, and if it’s snowy then you’re literally seeing the same thing for the whole day.

The SWC is pleasant, glorieta and Raton pass are nice. However personally the true beauty of the route is/was the history to it, which is/was the semaphores, wig wag, and large sections of jointed rail. It can get a bit boring sometimes.

Sunset Limited, well, I don’t remember the scenery east of San Antonio. But the scenery west is just desert. Personally that’s not anything too interesting to me.

I’ve ridden the full route of the Texas Eagle once, I found the scenery pleasant. Although I’m not sure I’d still be too interested after a handful of rides.

On the Cardinal, the scenery was nice. During the scenic highlight of the new River Gorge there was a wall of trees obstructing the view for most of it, which hindered the ability to really enjoy it. The city skylines were nice as well though.

The Empire Service had good scenery, although personally I prefer mountain ranges where the train is truly going through in it like the CS and EB.

On the NEC, the New England scenery was pleasant, so were the city views.

The Capitol Limited eastbound east of Connellsville, PA. You get the Youghiogheny River gorge, crossing the Alleghenies over the Sand Patch Grade, the folded Appalachians between Cumberland and Harpers Ferry, and Piedmont farmland after that. On the westbound trip, the crossing of the Alleghenies and the Youghiogheny River section are in darkness...

Thanks, MARC, for mentioning the Capitol Limited! Original poster is lucky enough to live in Chicago, that Valhalla for railfans, the hub for so many long-distance trains. No, for spectacular scenery, the Limited doesn't compete with the Builder or the Chief or the Zephyr. But it's unquestionably lovely for the whole segment between Washington DC (well, Harper's Ferry) and Pittsburgh. Remarkably wild and unspoiled scenery all along the Youghiogheny, bridges and mills and ghosts of industry nearer Pittsburgh. Plus, Kbyrdleroydogg is dreaming of a trip next summer, when daylight will be at its max.

If I were thinking along those lines, from Chicago I'd do a loop: eastbound on the Limited, maybe a NEC jaunt to Philly or NYC or Boston, back to Chicago on the Cardinal.

Thanks, MARC, for mentioning the Capitol Limited! Original poster is lucky enough to live in Chicago, that Valhalla for railfans, the hub for so many long-distance trains. No, for spectacular scenery, the Limited doesn't compete with the Builder or the Chief or the Zephyr. But it's unquestionably lovely for the whole segment between Washington DC (well, Harper's Ferry) and Pittsburgh. Remarkably wild and unspoiled scenery all along the Youghiogheny, bridges and mills and ghosts of industry nearer Pittsburgh. Plus, Kbyrdleroydogg is dreaming of a trip next summer, when daylight will be at its max.

If I were thinking along those lines, from Chicago I'd do a loop: eastbound on the Limited, maybe a NEC jaunt to Philly or NYC or Boston, back to Chicago on the Cardinal.
If only they'd add back the Sightseer Lounge, the Bag Car,Transdorm and get Full Service Dining back in the Diner ( CCC).

Matter of taste. If you want mountains, and steep river ravines, California Zephyr from Denver to SF is your train. Red rocks, brown tumbleweed, yellow desert and cactus? Southwest Chief from Kansas City to LA. Ocean and green hills? Coast Starlight LA to Sacramento, also Pacific Surfliner LA to San Diego. Open, empty 'big sky' prairie and treeless views? Empire Builder. (Autumn leaf colors? Adirondack. River view? Albany to NYC.)

Pro tip: you can do a loop. Chicago-SF-LA-Chicago gets three of the most scenic routes.
That’s a great list, and I agree. However, the Sunset Limited is really special and traverses a part of the country most people never see. Rather than an “ooh, ahh” experience, it’s more of a peaceful, let your mind and imagination wander over a rugged, beautiful and unspoiled part of the American west. For those of us privileged to live here in this magnificent beauty, it’s the best.

I’m a little surprised the DownEaster hasn’t been mentioned.

... fiery sunsets ....

1640768768349.jpeg

Brunswick has two museums and Bowdoin College judged the nicest of all colleges in the fall. LL Bean open 24/7 (Freeport), and Portland Maine for Foodies and island ferry hopping. Beach resorts and Amusement Park at Old Orchard Beach.

What are you waiting for?

Getting snowed in at Kennebunk port? Watching POTUS 43 jog with FL 43 - prolly not.

.... actually I’m waiting for a ride in a snow storm on the D/E.

I’m a little surprised the DownEaster hasn’t been mentioned.

While I enjoyed my trips on the Downeaster I don’t remember them being particularly scenic. No more than my trips on the Piedmont for example.

Which goes to show all of the Amtrak routes are scenic in a way. I love the little southern towns and old depots of the Crescent and Piedmont routes for example.

Back