what available near SAS during TE layover?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HARHBG

Service Attendant
What's available, open and "do-able" around the San Antonio station during the servicing of the TE 421?

I know the train gets serviced late, about 10?ish P.M. to 2?ish A.M. Anyplace close by ("reasonable" walking distance) to go get food, maybe a drink (alcohol) that's reasonably SAFE to be walking around at those hours?

I know there are numerous AU people out here who have done this layover West. Any and all suggestions/advice is most welcomed and appreciated. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL :p :p ;) :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a Denny's nearby and a few other restaurants. It's not a bad area. I've had that layover numerous times using 422 North and South. It would be nice if that long layover was during daylight hours so a trip to the Riverwalk or the Alamo was doable.

Do NOT wander towards the Alamo Dome as that is walking into certain trouble. To get to Denny's simply walk north past the old Espee Station and Steam Engine to Commerce Street. Turn left, go under the lighted I-37 Overpass and Denny's will be straight ahead on the right. A smooth easy walk.

Since the 24/7 Denny's has already been mentioned, the cafes,clubs and bars on the Riverwalk ( pricey) are also open when #21/#421 arrives.

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse ( very pricey)is in the Hyatt by the Convention Center on Commerce and is open late. ( it used to be next to the Station in St Paul Square which still has a few bars, but it's very quiet at night unless an activity is going on in the Alamo Dome or the Old Sunset Station.)

There are a few fast food joints @ Street Level around the Alamo above the Riverwalk, lots of tacky souvenir joints and tourist places like Ripley's Museum etc. but they also close early as does the Alamo.

River Center Mall on East Commerce on the River( behind the Marriott Riverwalk) has a Food Court and multiple stores as well as a Movie Theater and Comedy Club, but the Food Court closes down early ( by 11pm).

THANKS so very much to those posting replies. My trip is in April so I have time to study some maps and orient myself to the area.

And a special THANKS!! to Bob Dylan, Post #4, for the "heads-up" re: where NOT to go wandering off. VERY APPRECIATED.

And yes, it's too bad the stop isn't in daytime but it looks better timed than what folks get coming in (Eastbound) from LAX.

And Ruth's Chris does have a killer steak but you almost need a new mortgage to eat there. :) :p

Ur welcome but Olympia Hiawatha was the poster who let you know not to wander South or East from the Station, especially @ night.

San Antonio is a huge tourist city and very safe, but does have its areas to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back