What do you do when traveling alone LD over 30 hours

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see women in night clothes in the sleepers all the time in the evening and @_ night. Usually they are on the way to/from the bathroom and/or shower.

In the winter lots of guys, including me,( and some women) wear Lounging and workout clothes that looks like PJs in Coach and Sleepers. In the summer you see more shorts and t-shirts.

Just don't try to wear your night clothes to the Diner or Lounge, the LSA or Conductor will send you back to change! ( this includes wearing fuzzy slippers! LOL)

You'll be fine, it's your room, so be comfortable and enjoy yourself!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see women in night clothes in the sleepers all the time in the evening and @_ night. Usually they are on the way to/from the bathroom and/or shower.

In the winter lots of guys, including me,( and some women) wear Lounging and workout clothes that looks like PJs in Coach and Sleepers. In the summer you see more shorts and t-shirts.

Just don't try to wear your night clothes to the Diner or Lounge, the LSA or Conductor will send you back to change! ( this includes wearing fuzzy slippers! LOL)

You'll be fine, it's your room, so be comfortable and enjoy yourself!
and eat some BBQ

When Me and my husband take the CAP LTD about 4 times a year between WAS-CHI, my bag always includes a DVD player and a entire library of 70's sitcoms. His bag includes a few bottles of wine and a iPad with a lot of great jazz music. We also bring along a few of those LED candles. We watch some TV early in the afternoon, then go to dinner (We still believe in dressing up for dinner), then after dinner we retire back to our room for a few glasses of wine, turn off all the lights, light the LED candles, turn on the Jazz, open the curtains, and watch the world go by.

My boyfriend wears a t-shirt and sweatpants, and I wear regular pajamas. We usually have the beds put down around 8:00 and read until it's time to go to sleep.

The sleepers are sort of like summer camp. Everyone expects that everyone else will be in pajamas after a certain hour, and it's really no big deal. :)

If you're the least bit apprehensive about going from a roomette to the WC in you PJ's, note that roomettes on the lower level of a Superliner sleeper see very little foot traffic because access to other cars can be gained only on the upper level. In addition, there are fewer berths on the lower lever as much of the space is taken up by the baggage rack, shower, etc., as shown here: http://www.amtrakagentsupport.com/fam-3d-tours-diagrams.htm Wife and I had a lower level roomette once from CHI to FLG and even with one other roomette being occupied it was kind of spooky down there it was so quiet. There is, of course, the foot traffic when getting on & off at stations and some other disadvantages - like having to climb stairs to go to the diner, etc., - but it is an option.

NO pajamas for me.

Lightweight long cotton pants, t-shirt, and socks with a sweater at hand and shoes ready to slip on - something fairly protective that I wouldn't mind being seen in public in (even though it's nothing I'd purposely wear)

I'm always ready for an emergency which means I'm pretty much dressed (comfortably) to escape when I'm on the train, sleeping or not.

As for 30 hours alone, I love it and since my husband is not a train travel fan, most of my LD trips are solo and I'm good with that.

I don't let my husband's reluctance to go where I want to go hinder me so I go on a lot of solo trips, recently to NYC (Lake Shore Limited) and a cruise out of NOLA (City of New Orleans) and I'm heading to Paris solo on Friday.

When I hit the road I load my iPad with current magazines on my Next Issue app (they have a 30 day free trial) http://www.nextissue.com/ and download a few (usually 6 so I have choices) rental movies from iTunes.

I always have my Kindle library available on my iPad too - have to make sure the books I want to read are downloaded so I don't use data.

My Verizon no-contract phone also becomes a mobile hotspot so I buy some extra data and spend time online too.

I would never attempt to stream a movie or anything longer than a very short video because your data will be depleted quickly.

My cable company (Charter) just started offering downloads from Showtime and Starz with more to come so that's now a free movie option for me.

I've never been bored.

NO pajamas for me.

Lightweight long cotton pants, t-shirt, and socks with a sweater at hand and shoes ready to slip on - something fairly protective that I wouldn't mind being seen in public in (even though it's nothing I'd purposely wear)
Yeah, when I say "pajamas", I don't mean the stereotypical pajama set. I wear something like this:

pjs.png

They're comfortable enough to wear to bed, and I can put that cardigan on if I need to walk to the bathroom or detrain. I hate packing a robe, as it takes up too much space.

If you're the least bit apprehensive about going from a roomette to the WC in you PJ's, note that roomettes on the lower level of a Superliner sleeper see very little foot traffic because access to other cars can be gained only on the upper level. In addition, there are fewer berths on the lower lever as much of the space is taken up by the baggage rack, shower, etc., as shown here: http://www.amtrakagentsupport.com/fam-3d-tours-diagrams.htm Wife and I had a lower level roomette once from CHI to FLG and even with one other roomette being occupied it was kind of spooky down there it was so quiet. There is, of course, the foot traffic when getting on & off at stations and some other disadvantages - like having to climb stairs to go to the diner, etc., - but it is an option.
She's traveling on a viewliner. Single level. Toilet currently in roomettes.

Train travel can have with it many activities to keep one busy. I have not traveled LD alone in quite a while but when I am traveling with my wife Paula, the activities stay the same. Just looking out the window is like watching the travel channel. Reading is always part of the trip, and if you think about it you are dining for about three hours and sleeping for 6-8. Deduct that from the trip time and that's a good portion of it. SSL time is also maybe an hour of two a day. Onboard I can go online at just about anytime. Verizon is my provider and I tether my laptop to my cell phone. With the vast nationwide coverage that Verizon has, I can watch TV programs in the evening. Bedtime is usually early like 10 or 10:30 PM and rise time is around 6 or 7 AM. The trip goes fast and when we depart the train we feel rested and refreshed.
. Oh my never thought about it that way, I have 4 hours dining,8 hours sleeping so I only have 18 hours left. I usually wear leggings and a top that's comfy to bed, but thought about pajamas. Glad to know if I decide to put them on it's ok. But no fuzzy slippers in the diner. Lol Also gonna check out the free trial to the magazine site.

Oh my goodness,this was the best trip I have ever had on the Crescent. I was a little nervous,but got on in Newark and had Randel as sleeper attendant. I remember him in the diner on a previous trip. I showed him the picture I had of him and my adopted grandson. My daughter told him he better take care of me. I was H room right behind the diner. Got situated and put in earphones with soothing music,cracked open the Asti and chilled. All the tunnels kinda freaked me out,but talking on phone with my daughter and I made it thru. My ipad had a glitch and wouldn't work for me but it was ok because I had magazines and books,but surprise Hulu Plus worked for me all the way to NO on my cell phone. Went to dinner,the roasted chicken and rice was delish. When I came back Randel had set up my bed with 4 pillows and extra blanket. He was there when I needed him and kept check on me. I met so many people traveling alone and had wonderful conversations. Met a new diner partner in Atlanta and they had to run us out of the diner. Got her card. I saw sights that I really appreciated being alone. I looked at planes landing in Philly,the sky at night in Charlottesville. That 30 hours went so quickly. I will do it again all by my self!! I had the whole bed,by myself,I danced in my sleeper,by myself.I took naps, had a little brandy. I have a new appreciation for traveling on the Amtrak,by myself. Thanks to all of y'all who encouraged me and said I could do it. I had so much fun,chilling from Newark to NO and I got some rest.

You did it! Glad it worked so well for you. :hi:

Now you've got me really excited for my solo trip next fall. I invited a girlfriend along for the ride (may as well get the full benefit of the points, if she wants to go), but I told her if she can't go, it won't break my heart to have all the me-time.

Thanks for sharing! It's a wonderful way to get to a great city! And of course you get to rest up to and from NOL so you have energy for exploring one of America's gems!
Jim, I think she lives in or near NOL.

I do live in Baton Rouge,which is about an hour from NO,but I am going to try going to Chicago and if no one wants to come, I will go it alone. My eyes are finally open to the advantages of being a lone ranger. lol

I do live in Baton Rouge,which is about an hour from NO,but I am going to try going to Chicago and if no one wants to come, I will go it alone. My eyes are finally open to the advantages of being a lone ranger. lol
Make plans to go to DC in October and join us at the annual Gathering. We'd love to meet you. And, if you have the time and money/points, get to DC in a roundabout way, like some of our members do every year. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back