What does your Forum User Name mean?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Acela - Obviously the Acela Express.

"944" - The first EMD AEM-7 Locomotive number I've taken a picture of in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'll bite.... My 'screen' name is one that I use on most forums and email services, I live in the town of FAIRport (in upstate NY) (FYI, there's a CSX main line going right through the center of my town and has LOTS of train traffic including AMTRAK) and the digits 28 are both the DAY of my birthday AND my house number. Something I started using some years ago on forums and email services and it's stuck. FYI, my avatar (the blue service star) is for my son who is in the USAF and currently deployed 'overseas'. For his safety I'm not going to say where or for how long.

Mine harkens to my favorite author, prolific Victorian novelist Anthony Trollope. Trains feature in several of his books. ****SPOILER ALERT**** In "Barchester Towers," Mrs. Proudie and oleaginous preacher Mr. Slope attempt to stop train service on the Sabbath. (I'm glad to report that they fail.) In "Small House at Allington," good guy Johnny Eames punches out the caddish Adolphus Crosbie on the platform at a London station, probably Paddington. In "The Prime Minister," speculator Ferdinand Lopez commits suicide by throwing himself in front of a train.

If you like Dickens or Jane Austen, I can practically guarantee you'll enjoy Trollope.

I'm kinda new here. Been a member for several months but have been in the non rail forums. I figured I'd check out some of the forums to do with passenger rail. I will b honest, I'm not much of a rail fan. At least not freight. I was a truck driver for many years, now I'm a bus driver. My handle is actually my c.b. handle combined with the bus number of the bus I drive most days.

I got my handle from one if my trainers when I first started driving truck. He said I looked like mighty Joe from the movie with the beard I had at the time. It also helped that my name is Joe also.

Mine is more basic than it sounds. Mystic, CT (with its peaceful river) is one of my favorite getaway places (I go in the off-season, and by train, of course). And, according to the Chinese horoscope, I was born under the sign of the Dragon (the Chinese Dragon is a good, kind creature--not frightening like its counterpart in western mythology). When I was trying out words and phrases to come up with a name, Mystic River Dragon just sounded right.

Mine is kind of lame, but I couldn't think of anything else. My kids' school's mascot is a Saber, so I'm a Saber Mom. Totally not original, but it works.

I hope I haven't already posted in this thread, but I looked through the last couple pages and didn't see a Steve Martin avatar anywhere...

Anyway, I've been using public forums for a really long time, and have gone through several different screen names. For a while I was using "basscadet", which was the name of a song from an electronic group I really liked. It was a play on "spacecadet" and was pronounced like "bass guitar" or "bass drum". I thought this was both clever and obvious. But I noticed that whenever I'd fill out a form online with my email address and then have to talk to someone on the phone or in person about my account for whatever reason, they'd always pronounce "bass" like the fish. Like I'm some kind of fish cadet. The first couple times I thought it was funny, but when it started happening every single time, it started getting pretty annoying.

So I just gave in and changed it to "spacecadet", which I use on about half the forums I frequent now. (On the other half, I use a different bastardized version of "basscadet" that's impossible to mispronounce.)

I actually joined a few months before I retired from Amtrak, but I was making retirement plans at the time. So now the name does fit. Loved the job while I was doing it (except for the occasional times when I hated it ---- LOL), but enough is enough. It's a job for a younger person, and the next generation needs the jobs.

I go by Seaboard92 because my favorite railroad of yore and the one I live on is the SAL S line in the Carolina's. My favorite railroads are the NYC and the BO. Sorry pennsy fans. And 92 because that's my train the northbound Star.

My husband is a steam fan - so we travel all over in search of train museums. He loves the Durango train and also the Cumbres and Toltec.

Soot! It's what's for dinner is there way of honoring all those people who hang their head out the window at every curve.

You are more likely to find me having an artist's date while he rides the narrow gauge rails - but we both ❤️❤️❤️ Amtrak.

My husband is a steam fan - so we travel all over in search of train museums. He loves the Durango train and also the Cumbres and Toltec.

Soot! It's what's for dinner is there way of honoring all those people who hang their head out the window at every curve.

You are more likely to find me having an artist's date while he rides the narrow gauge rails - but we both ❤️❤️❤️ Amtrak.
If you haven't already been there try the Texas State Railroad in East Texas!

It runs from Palestine to Rusk, Texas and is a State Park! Can't do a link but Goggle it up and I think you'll want to try it! Lits of neat stuff in the area to see also, or, antiques, art, Indian village, Pine Forests etc.

I chose the name Royal Blue after the B&O flagship passenger train between Washington DC and New York, since my first train ride was between DC and NYC and I am a great fan of the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore. I believe my avatar is the B&O Capitol Limited, but it appears that the Royal Blue had this same livery at one time.

I live in Rocky Mount, Virginia, Franklin County. The moonshine capital of the world -- both historically and today -- or so we like to claim.

Franklin Cty is south of Roanoke VA and the NS "Punkin' Vine" route (NS Winston-Salem District) runs through here.

I've been using variations of my name since the first time I was introduced to intranet (aka the "mainframe") in college. It comes from a piece of jewelry I was wearing when the friend who introduced me to the intranet said I should pick a handle.

Oops, pardon me for not introducing myself.

Dry Creek is the name of our ranch. We raise registered Texas Longhorn cattle. We are located in Central Texas, and it can be pretty dry here at times. Well, actually it is dry here almost all the time. I am happy to report that this week the creek is kinda' muddy!

Hi folks,

So I'm a pilot with United Airlines, flying the Boeing 757, hence my screen name. I'm based out of EWR (Newark, NJ) and grew up in NJ. I've been a huge train buff since I was a kid, and can remember fondly when Amtrak still used the GG1 on the NEC, and sleeping in slumbercoaches to Montreal as a kid.

I've been a long time lurker, and finally decided to join.

Regards,

Back