What does your Forum User Name mean?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple, in the BN days, Amtrak trains had their number prefixed with 1000.. thus, for example, the Illinois Zephyr, train 348 would be Amtrak 1348 to the BN. In My case.. that is of course the Symbol for the Westbound Empire Builder, AMERICA'S TRAIN

Last edited by a moderator:
Well based on what a couple of you have said, I won't change my name to Snuggles. LOL

Well based on what a couple of you have said, I won't change my name to Snuggles.
Yes, probably a good idea to keep it Gingee. Out of curiosity, I have always wondered why you haven't registered on this forum??? Maybe that's an idea for another topic. I think I'll do that!

I always read your posts because I'm a cruisin' train person who has ties to the Peoria area.

My first car(in my name) was a $300 55chevy 2d sedan. I had it 3years and traded for a 59 chevy rag top. Bad mistake. During my year in SVN, I mentally tore the 55 down and restored it. On my return to the "land of the big BX" I found a 55 2d sedan. In all I have had 6 55chevys including a 55 wagon in the barn awaiting assembly. Jim55

Well based on what a couple of you have said, I won't change my name to Snuggles.
Yes, probably a good idea to keep it Gingee. Out of curiosity, I have always wondered why you haven't registered on this forum??? Maybe that's an idea for another topic. I think I'll do that!
Actually Gingee is a member here. I think that she just forgets to sign in most of the time. :lol:

First initial, last name, and the state in which I lived for 22 of the first 23 years of my life. I don't know why I threw the state (WI) in there, but I did it some years ago for some e-mail address or other forum registration, and it just stuck with me. Now, I use the same name, even though I'm no longer in Wisconsin.

Many people incorrectly assume that the name has something to do with the state capital.

Didn't put a lot of deep thought into mine...I like trains, especially Amtrak since my first ADVENTURE last year and I'm a birder. Must say haven't seen many birds while on the train...

Didn't put a lot of deep thought into mine...I like trains, especially Amtrak since my first ADVENTURE last year and I'm a birder. Must say haven't seen many birds while on the train...
You migth if you were an engineer over here. :(

In the first couple of months of testing in the Taiwan High Speed Rail we hit a lot of birds. It seems that in the period between stringing the overhead and electrification and the start of trial running that a lot of the local bird population decided that the overhead system made for great roosting locations. When the wire starts shaking with the approach of a train, the brids would fly off. Those that decided to fly downward when the wire started shaking are for the most part no longer with us, as in the early days of testing there would be several bird splats on the front of every train. The problem has tapered off significantly. Either the brids have quit resting on the wires, learned to fly upward when it starts shaking, or those that flew downward are no longer part of the local bird populatiion.

It has been a number of months since this topic was at the top of the list. We have had a lot of new members join. Perhaps some would like to respond with what their screen name means.

Wayman was my grandfather's middle name, and has a sort of traveling sound to it; I've used it on other forums, too.

My grandfather grew up in extremely rural WV. The oldest of three kids, when the Depression struck and he was in his early-20s he left home and traveled west to find work and send money back to his family. He hopped freight trains or hitchhiked from WV to Seattle, and stayed in cheap motels most nights. On the back of a motel business card he recorded the cities he traveled between on each day, and someday I hope to take a cross country trip--by car, not freight!!!--following his route as best I can and do some railfanning in each location.

(Over the generations, my ancestors migrated from the east coast to the west coast and back again. I was born in LYH and now live in Philadelphia. So "my train" is the Crescent, just like Bill Haithcoat :lol: )

Wikipedia:"In the United States, what are now known as cadences were called jody calls from a recurring character, a civilian named "Jody". Jody refers to a civilian who remains at home instead of joining the military service. Jody will take advantage of your girlfriend in your absence. Jody stays at home, drives the soldier's car, and gets the soldier's sweetheart while the soldier is in boot camp or in country." Jodies also hang around bars at military towns and pick up the wives left behind, thus the name, jody bar.

As stated in the Jody posts, I wasn't one, the other party was. I was on my way home from a rendezvous ;) with my husband at trainup for OIF and a few short weeks away from his deployment to the combat zone. Since then, I've had an interesting conversation with another employee. After describing the event I was told the following: "oh, that must have been ______, don't mind him, he's gay, he's harmless." I said, no, not his name. Then she said another name and again I said no. Amtrak is truly a unique place and I've had several good trips since. Jody

Mine was born out of exasperation; I kept hitting hadley1,2,3,4 and Juno wouldn't take it (somebody already was using it.) I went so far that when I got to the number 8 I just threw it in the middle of our last name and it took. Computers are not my bag...

Jay

Wayman was my grandfather's middle name, and has a sort of traveling sound to it; I've used it on other forums, too.
My grandfather grew up in extremely rural WV. The oldest of three kids, when the Depression struck and he was in his early-20s he left home and traveled west to find work and send money back to his family. He hopped freight trains or hitchhiked from WV to Seattle, and stayed in cheap motels most nights. On the back of a motel business card he recorded the cities he traveled between on each day, and someday I hope to take a cross country trip--by car, not freight!!!--following his route as best I can and do some railfanning in each location.

(Over the generations, my ancestors migrated from the east coast to the west coast and back again. I was born in LYH and now live in Philadelphia. So "my train" is the Crescent, just like Bill Haithcoat :lol: )
A couple of things, Wayman. One, my sister went to school at Averitt Colelge in nearby Danville, Va.About 1954, it was an all-female sort of finishing school at that time.

Which brings up an old railroad song, "The Wreck of Old 97". Have you heard of that? It was a true story. Old number 97 was a mail train and it did wreck betwen Lynchburg and Danville, early 1900's. I am sure you can call it up on the internet. My mother used to sing that song to me.

In the song there is a mention of "it was not 38 but was old 97". Number 38 happened to be the old number of the Crescent (nos 37-38). So, in a round about way, even the old pre-Amtrak Crescent is referred to in that song.

I had the pleasure ot taking my mother on the train from ATl to NYC in her later declining years, we had a great trip, and I was able to show her the old 97 territory which she had sung to me so many times when I was a child. Parkinsons's got her voice so she could not sing anymore at the time of that trip but I know she would have if she could have.

I don't know how I missed this topic originally, but, I'll chip in now.

Not very creative with mine either. Much like someone else (COMO, I think) said, it is simply where I live--St Louis, and a female, so, I just threw them together. I've used this name for a few years, so, it kind of comes natural to me now. Haven't lived in St Louis all my life, but, I couldn't figure out how to make a decent name out of the other places I've lived (Las Vegas, NV and central Iowa). Like I said, I'm not very creative with my thoughts....

F-100 Super Sabre-First operational supersonic jet fighter. Great for air to ground, did not want to end up in air to air with a Mig. Had a remarkaable career with the USAF and other nations until 1979. Fond memories.

There's no hidden meaning in mine, just a reference to what is, in my opinion, one of the most interesting (and certainly influental) sagas in railroad history.

I chose "Southern Belle" because the Southern Belle which was operated by by the Kansas City Southern Railway was the first train I ever rode on. It must have been about 1952 because I was seven years old. My parents and I traveled from Alexandria, LA, to New Orleans.

Sorry I've been out sick for a number of days and am catching up.

Fr = Father

J = Initial of my first name

1983 = year of ordination

However, I'm no longer "pastoring" and have gone on to become a Librarian.

I've just always kept the handle since my using it in earlier forums.

I wanted to be sure taht I didn't already answer this question, so I went back and read a lot of the posts. Turns out I haven't explained myself yet, but I learned a lot about y'all while searching.

Neat stuff out there!

I use VentureForth because I love to travel places that I've never been. God's only got me here for a few years so I want to see as much as He's made in that short period of time.

I started with the name when I joined Geocaching about 7 years ago. For those that don't know, it's a GPS based 'treasure hunting' game. Sometimes takes you in and out of a lot of places you'd otherwise never venture to.

My tagline (that I don't really use any more) was: "GO! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!" was a two part message. First, in Geocaching, you're likely to wind up on the wrong side of a creek, river, or something. Not to mention when you're about a mile from your car, that's when the rain is queued to turn on. Second 'philisophical' meaning is more like saying don't be afraid to try something new.

I've kept the name through almost all forums that I'm a member of. Life is a journey. Venture forth, and don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Joey B Joey is my first name and B is my initial of my last name, alot of friends call me Joey B, or JD cause I like Jack Daniels.

I chose "Southern Belle" because the Southern Belle which was operated by by the Kansas City Southern Railway was the first train I ever rode on. It must have been about 1952 because I was seven years old. My parents and I traveled from Alexandria, LA, to New Orleans.

Anf it must be noted that those Kansas City Southern trains, the Southern Belle and some others, were neat and beautiful trains. I never had the pleasure of riding them or even seeing them. But I have spotted a car or two from them over the years.

It must further be noted that KCS was one fo those lines that struggled more valiantly than most to keep the passenger train alive. Some roads threw their hands up and gave up soon, but KCS, along with Union Pacific, Seaboard Coast Line, Illinois Central, Santa Fe, were among those that tried to hold on tight. I'm probably leaving out somebody.

Smith is my last name and train because this is the Amtrak forum. I have a very hard time coming up with screen names with Smith in them. Not surprising. :lol:

Back