What does your Forum User Name mean?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the mid 90's when I first got into forums ( drum & bugle corps ) there were already two "mikes" there. The original went by "Mike", the second went by "another Mike", so I thought it fitting to be "the OTHER Mike".

I use this on most forums I'm involved in except for a weather forum based on hurricane study and forcasting in which I use "Gullywasher".

Back in the mid 90's when I first got into forums ( drum & bugle corps ) there were already two "mikes" there. The original went by "Mike", the second went by "another Mike", so I thought it fitting to be "the OTHER Mike".
That other forum wouldn't be Drum Corps Planet would it and the other Mike the administrator MikeN? And no, I'm not the other Mike! :p

That other forum wouldn't be Drum Corps Planet would it and the other Mike the administrator MikeN? And no, I'm not the other Mike! :p

OMeffinGod..........................

No, RAMD was WAY before DCP.....................

Mike New was way before me and was quick to join DCP and George Dixon, though out of 25,000 members I'm in the 400 class...............

I'm the Other Mike on Ramd AND DCP.

Might I understand you to be a skyliner, or a fan of GN sky blue ?

There are several "train freaks " from both RAMD and DCP.

OMeffinGod..........................

No, RAMD was WAY before DCP.....................

Mike New was way before me and was quick to join DCP and George Dixon, though out of 25,000 members I'm in the 400 class...............

I'm the Other Mike on Ramd AND DCP.

Might I understand you to be a skyliner, or a fan of GN sky blue ?

There are several "train freaks " from both RAMD and DCP.
You're right! The Sky in my signature is because of my being a New York Skyliner. :p BTW, the 12065 is simply my zip code! The rest of my response was taken to PM so as not to continue this discussion in off topic mode!

My name is a direct reference to "Mordac the Preventer of Information Services," a minor recurring character from "Dilbert" who shows up every so often to torment unfortunate employees.

:ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I are interested in nineteenth-century material and social culture. "Taking the cars" was a period term for rail travel. We are both interesting in trains and if we had time for another hobby, we'd probably have a model railroad in our basement.

We do independent film work and this spring we will be working on a project involving 1860s railroads.

We progressed from taking our grandchildren on short Amtrak trips here in southeastern Michigan to a recent Christmas trip to St. Paul, Minnesota and next week to New Orleans. While in Baton Rouge I will be speaking about the life of Pauline Cushman, a Civil War spy and actress whom I wrote a book about. During her lifetime she spent many hours riding on trains across the country.

At the risk of going too far back for the background:

At school at IUB, I spent my whole time there in Foster International, a special dorm where in-state students are (randomly) paired with exchange students. During those four years, I had a Danish roommate, a Finn, two Indians (one of them born and raised in Okinawa, Japan), and finally four Koreans in a row. It was not long after the first of these Korean roommates showed up that I was hooked on everything Korean. I learned to speak it (a little rusty now, but I was good in my day), going to Korean restaurants, Korean karaoke bars (and singing in Korean!), being the only non-Korean at parties, essentially becoming (in the words of some of my friends) an honorary Korean. :)

It was coming up on my birthday, and several of these friends asked what I wanted. 'A Korean name,' I said. So they went away and came back with 'ChulJin', a valid, if uncommon, Korean given name. Like the way-vast majority of Korean names, it's actually Sino-Korean (i.e. borrowed from Chinese), and, for the curious or those who know Korean, Japanese, or Chinese, the characters are:

Chul and Jin mean, respectively, 'iron or steel' and 'truth'. I didn't know it at the time, but coincidentally, and apropos here, Chul is also in many compound words having to do with railroads. :) (q.v. by clicking the first character).

It's since become the handle/screenname/username/etc. I use everywhere online. At least one result on each of the first few pages of googling 'chuljin' is me. (#9, at least when I searched it just now, is my youtube channel with a few amtrak videos).

Mine is fairly simple.

NS = Norfolk Southern

4 = for

eva = ever

Born and live around Norfolk Southern lines on the Pocahontas Division (Pokey) and am partial to NS for some reason.

:lol:

Mine combines my love of Trains and my love of anime and science fiction fandom. I maybe should have used TrainFen instead of Traingeek because geek still has negative connotations to some. I am taking the Adirondack to Montreal this August for the Science Fiction Worldcon.

Greetings and felicitations.

My real name is Josh, but Cho Cho Josh just didn't have the same punch as Cho Cho Charlie. :p

I am an infrequent Amtrak traveler. That's not intended to be a cut against Amtrak. I just don't travel much by any means.

I am also into G-scale model railroading. Most of my rolling stock are Penn RR cars in Tuscon Red. I had thought of also collecting some Amtrak stock, but I don't think LGB (or anyone for that matter) offers Viewliner sleepers in G-scale. I mean, I would want to re-create a Silver (91/92/97/98) trainset if I was going to do anything along those lines.

Traindude115, the number stands for the number of my first N-scale model engine (Amtrak genesis). And my buddy always called me Traindude so it was a match made in heaven, to put the two together.

My user name is simply my initials and year of birth.

Yes, I was born A.D. 63. I'm very old. :D

My user name is simply my initials and year of birth.
Yes, I was born A.D. 63. I'm very old. :D
Aloha and Welcome to the group. Young Wipper Snapper, old my foot. :lol: That the year I started college and work at Disneyland. Which lets me say with a :) Walt Disney paid for my college. 4 years later this eastern boy was married and living in Hawaii.

A tribute to my beloved "blue cat" that crossed The Rainbow Bridge Last year. :(

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown..."

My dad was "clerk-in-charge" on railway mail service in the 1940's and '50's. He loved trains, and my mom always said trains were the "other woman" in his life. I have pleasant memories of my mom, my sister, and myself picking him up at the Sacramento depot at the end of his "two days out--two day in" trips. He was so proud when he worked on the Shasta Daylight. At the time of his death 3 years ago, he couldn't remember very much, but he could name every train stop between Sacramento and Dunsmuir and also the Feather River route to Portola! During the last few years of his life, he was instrumental in replicating the museum quality railway mail car parked at the Napa Valley Wine Train site. He was a good man, and I miss him every day. I'm proud of being the trainman's daughter.

Back