What does your Forum User Name mean?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I think my name should be obvious. I live in PA and we live to travel, and we do rather a lot. Heading down under soon. Back to Amtrak in June, though.

Well, I am from TN, (though I now reside just south, in Huntsville, AL) and I am an architect, so.... tnrkitect.
Well, I, too, am from Tennessee, (actually Chattanooga) and now live in Atlanta. I went to school at UT Knoxville 1962-3 and remember the former passenger trains well. If you have any questions from the past,location of stations,etc let me know.

So why did you pick your screen name as "Pat Harper"?
huh.gif
(BTW - If you want to change it, send a PM [Private Message] to AlanB!
smile.gif
)
I don't mind anyone knowing my real name. Labeelady is my login ID. Most login id's are limited to one word.

AKA --not also known as.--Any Navy people out there? It was a ship designation. Lets see if anyone can come up with the answer. My first user name was APA. Got lost in a misfire in the forum some how. Same deal, a ship designation.My member number would be lower if I had not lost the APA. I thought some one might pick up on the letters and make the connection. I guess my shipmates are not train people. :( or none of you guys where my shipmates. You will have to go back a few years to find the APA AKA desingnation. If anyone does find the answer, be kind about my age. :D :D :D Hint Viet Nam :(

Yes there are some Navy people out here - as my name: "navybanker" indicates. My first ship was, in fact, an AKA (as in Auxilliary Cargo Assault -- don't comment on Navy spelling) - subsequently redesignated LKA. After USN I worked for a bank - or series of merging banks until I was given an offer I couldn"t refuse in 1995.

My main hobby, and what most of my brain cells are devoted to, is growing corals in my 250G reef system! A little science, a little magick, a little luck and a lot of electricity.

I used to be in the HVAC (Heating and A/C) as a service Tech, and Trane brand furnace is what I own, and I like their equipments. Their motto is "Nothing stops a Trane"

And last of all I'm a man! LOL

Jay

How it all started.

1979OldsCustomCruiser.jpg

I was 3 years old and my Grandmother had one of these in a diesel. It was my job to tell her when the "Wait to Start" light went out so she could start the car. I loved the sound of the diesel and how smooth the car was... especially compared to my dad's similar vintage F-250 and mother's Subaru station wagon. It started a life long love affair with Oldsmobile. My first car when I was 17 was a 1985 Oldsmobile Toronado. That one was stolen. A few years later I bought a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible that I put 100k miles on. Just this past July, I picked up a 1981 Oldsmobile Toronado in excellent condition that just needed a few touch up things here and there.

image_url-51-1279830325.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How it all started.

I was 3 years old and my Grandmother had one of these in a diesel. It was my job to tell her when the "Wait to Start" light went out so she could start the car. I loved the sound of the diesel and how smooth the car was...
My parents has a Buick Rivera, 83 it was, and loved it as well! But it blew apart :-( (GM using gas block on Diesel)

It wasn't a gas block. It was heads that were the problem. There weren't enough head bolts and with the high compression that diesels have, the bolts would actually stretch over time eventually causing gasket leaks and failure. The early diesels also didn't have a water separator for the fuel. Water in diesel fuel is an especially bad thing (and I guess for reasons beyond my understanding, happens more often). GM added a water separator in 1980 or 81 I think.

GM did actually manage to fix the problem by about 1984 with something called the DX block that had more head bolts, but by that point the damage to diesel's reputation was done and the Oldsmobile diesel was out of production by 1986.

I love rolling in my Toronado. I take the bus to work so I don't really worry about gas prices. I only get about 18mpg highway, but it's worth it.

I, too, had an Olds Cutlass Supreme... brand new 1968, first purchase out of college. I put over 150,000 on that car and it was still in great shape BUT the number of kids outgrew the car, so I opted for a station wagon. And now I'm in a Honda. Do you think I'm improving my life in the wrong direction?

It wasn't a gas block. It was heads that were the problem. There weren't enough head bolts and with the high compression that diesels have, the bolts would actually stretch over time eventually causing gasket leaks and failure. The early diesels also didn't have a water separator for the fuel. Water in diesel fuel is an especially bad thing (and I guess for reasons beyond my understanding, happens more often). GM added a water separator in 1980 or 81 I think.

GM did actually manage to fix the problem by about 1984 with something called the DX block that had more head bolts, but by that point the damage to diesel's reputation was done and the Oldsmobile diesel was out of production by 1986.

I love rolling in my Toronado. I take the bus to work so I don't really worry about gas prices. I only get about 18mpg highway, but it's worth it.
Ok, I did not know that.. I just recall my uncle saying that. When they replaced it, mom got rid of it fast! Wish she didn't but as you said the reputation was ruined.

I, too, had an Olds Cutlass Supreme... brand new 1968, first purchase out of college. I put over 150,000 on that car and it was still in great shape BUT the number of kids outgrew the car, so I opted for a station wagon. And now I'm in a Honda. Do you think I'm improving my life in the wrong direction?
Yes. We have a Honda also that my partner drives. It does it's job but it's about as interesting as a a mayo on white bread sandwich. Honda has really lost their way on styling lately... but they still start every morning. GM and Ford have made such strides in their quality recently that they've closed the gap between themselves and the imports. Buick has been considered equal to Honda in reliability for a few years now.

In April, Cadillac is sending me a CTS-V wagon to drive for a week. I'll let you know how that one runs. Does a 556 horsepower supercharged V8 sound sufficient?

I get a CTS-V coupe on the 16th of this month.

I apologize to the mods for dragging this so far off topic. Perhaps we need a "What you drive?" thread.

Airport codes for 2 of my favorite places that you can't get to by Amtrak....

St Thomas and St Maarten
tongue.gif

Well, they're both on the Mississippi River, so they have beaches (not that you may want to swim in them), and the bars do have frozen adult beverages (and in the case of St Paul - just step outside in the winter, and it will become frozen
laugh.gif
). They only problem is the palm trees - although you could probably find some fake ones!
mosking.gif

Well, they're both on the Mississippi River, so they have beaches (not that you may want to swim in them), and the bars do have frozen adult beverages (and in the case of St Paul - just step outside in the winter, and it will become frozen
laugh.gif
). They only problem is the palm trees - although you could probably find some fake ones!
mosking.gif
In St. Louis, you can go to a restaurant called De Palm Tree. http://stlouis.metromix.com/restaurants/caribbean/de-palm-tree-jamaican-university-city/412398/content

Y'all obsess too much...and I thought that i had an issue with spending too much time on the train!! tee hee
mosking.gif

My name is Dan and I was born on December 21. I sure hope those Mayans weren't right, or next year's birthday is going to be interesting.

Back